Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

thanks

Posted by JudyS on 7/13/00 at 10:27 (023269)

Thanks, you guys, for responding re: top-of-foot pain. That takes some of the mystery out of my brain!
I'm enjoying the 'current' conversation about life's choices and are our chronic feet only reflective of our life's choices? I have little doubt that I'm doing what I love, for the most part, it's just that what I love is being on my feet! Technically I'm a homemaker, but as an avid do-it-yourselfer, gardner, exerciser, hiker and ball player, I'm in big trouble where my feet are concerned!
However, like so many women of our culture, I've been mentally stuck on weight-loss since my first child was born over 20 years ago. Before that, as a high-school athlete, I never gave weight a single thought. So now I wonder..........with so many years of chocolate addiction contradicted by self-demanding weight-loss drive, have I just been setting myself up for this chronic PF? Well now you guys have done it - you've made me think WAY too much!

Re: thanks

john h on 7/13/00 at 14:52 (023276)

judy: about 5 years ago when i first developed PF i also developed a pain on the top of my foot. the doctor checked for a stress fracture and anything else that might cause the pain which was very bad. about a month after this developed i awakened one night to discover that while sleeping on my stomach i was kicking a metal bar that goes across the foot of my bed. after that i shifted my head further up near the headboard and i was free to kick away in my sleep without injurying my foot. strange but true. the pain went away within a few days.

Nancy S. on 7/13/00 at 22:01 (023295)

Judy, I understand the weight-loss culture effects. (They stink.) Do you think that has driven your interests? I mean, you're a talented, smart person and seem like you could throw yourself into many different kinds of interests, including some off your feet. How about exploring some of them?
And for the record, since I met you I can say this, you DON'T need to lose weight! I'm sure Bob would agree.
--Nancy

ChanaW on 7/14/00 at 09:08 (023313)

Judy,

I too, am wondering if I've set myself up both physically and mentally for PF. I've been on and off (mostly on) suffering for 5 years. I knew I'd been gaining weight, but since I weigh seldom I think I was in denial about how much. So did my feet and my subsequent avoidance of painful exercise drive me to chocolate? Or was my body trying to give me a message about too much chocolate that I (dimly) could only receive through my feet?

I started Weight Watchers yesterday.

Re: PT

JudyS on 7/14/00 at 10:36 (023318)

OK Nancy - today's the day for you! Although, at 8:30 AM my time, I suspect you're either at the PT now or have already been. I'm anxious to hear how it went.
Yes, you're right about activities. In fact, I've been spending some on and off mental time thinking about possible other activities - both professionally and recreationally. I think, though, that it was just the opposite re: weight loss/gain......my need for physical activity, whether around the house or on the playing field/running track contributed to my need to keep my weight down. Most physical activity is nicer without excess weight. And......right now I've got a closet FULL of clothes I can't wear because of what I call my PF weight gain! I'm pretty stubborn about buying, or not buying, larger sizes to acommodate this gain so I'm hoping that the current weight loss process will help the PF and the wardrobe! BTW - I'm REALLY good at hiding those excess lb.'s!

Nancy S. on 7/14/00 at 10:58 (023320)

Hi Judy, yes you ARE excellent at hiding them! Have you changed how you eat? I began eating a yeast-killing diet at the end of December, it wasn't very difficult for me, and it got rid of all my PF pounds too, which I know has helped my PF. Now I eat whatever I want and however much I want -- but no sugar, no bread, and I don't count carbs exactly but keep them low. I feel better all over in every way because of this.
I'm glad you're pondering activities. I do think problems like this call for a good look at the whole lifestyle.
I was posting my PT treatise while you were asking about it. I'm flying pretty high today!
--Nancy

john h on 7/13/00 at 14:52 (023276)

judy: about 5 years ago when i first developed PF i also developed a pain on the top of my foot. the doctor checked for a stress fracture and anything else that might cause the pain which was very bad. about a month after this developed i awakened one night to discover that while sleeping on my stomach i was kicking a metal bar that goes across the foot of my bed. after that i shifted my head further up near the headboard and i was free to kick away in my sleep without injurying my foot. strange but true. the pain went away within a few days.

Nancy S. on 7/13/00 at 22:01 (023295)

Judy, I understand the weight-loss culture effects. (They stink.) Do you think that has driven your interests? I mean, you're a talented, smart person and seem like you could throw yourself into many different kinds of interests, including some off your feet. How about exploring some of them?
And for the record, since I met you I can say this, you DON'T need to lose weight! I'm sure Bob would agree.
--Nancy

ChanaW on 7/14/00 at 09:08 (023313)

Judy,

I too, am wondering if I've set myself up both physically and mentally for PF. I've been on and off (mostly on) suffering for 5 years. I knew I'd been gaining weight, but since I weigh seldom I think I was in denial about how much. So did my feet and my subsequent avoidance of painful exercise drive me to chocolate? Or was my body trying to give me a message about too much chocolate that I (dimly) could only receive through my feet?

I started Weight Watchers yesterday.

JudyS on 7/14/00 at 10:36 (023318)

OK Nancy - today's the day for you! Although, at 8:30 AM my time, I suspect you're either at the PT now or have already been. I'm anxious to hear how it went.
Yes, you're right about activities. In fact, I've been spending some on and off mental time thinking about possible other activities - both professionally and recreationally. I think, though, that it was just the opposite re: weight loss/gain......my need for physical activity, whether around the house or on the playing field/running track contributed to my need to keep my weight down. Most physical activity is nicer without excess weight. And......right now I've got a closet FULL of clothes I can't wear because of what I call my PF weight gain! I'm pretty stubborn about buying, or not buying, larger sizes to acommodate this gain so I'm hoping that the current weight loss process will help the PF and the wardrobe! BTW - I'm REALLY good at hiding those excess lb.'s!

Nancy S. on 7/14/00 at 10:58 (023320)

Hi Judy, yes you ARE excellent at hiding them! Have you changed how you eat? I began eating a yeast-killing diet at the end of December, it wasn't very difficult for me, and it got rid of all my PF pounds too, which I know has helped my PF. Now I eat whatever I want and however much I want -- but no sugar, no bread, and I don't count carbs exactly but keep them low. I feel better all over in every way because of this.
I'm glad you're pondering activities. I do think problems like this call for a good look at the whole lifestyle.
I was posting my PT treatise while you were asking about it. I'm flying pretty high today!
--Nancy