Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Dr. Biehler

Posted by Karen S on 7/13/00 at 21:31 (023292)

I had an open heel spur removal and muscle release done on June 29th by an orthopedic surgeon. I was not allowed to put any weight on it at all. Today I had the staples removed and was put in a cast. My family Dr. told me I probably wouldn't get a walking cast on it. Well thats what they did put on. I was told not to walk on it for 48 hrs. It's to be on my foot for 4 weeks. What I would like to know is what I should expect? I'm a little nervous about walking on it because of all the pain I've already been through and because I don't want to damage whats been done. Any advice????

Thank you....Karen

Re: To Dr. Biehler

Dr. Biehler on 7/14/00 at 18:00 (023350)

Karen. There are different approches to open heel spur removal. Everyone recouperates at their own pace and the amout of pain felt is also a personal thing. The amount of bone that was removed and if the Doctor had to remove the flexor digitorum brevis muscle to get to the spur will have an effect on the time it takes to recoupe. The s tapeles are out and the healing has begun. Do not be afraid to move in the walking cast but let the pain be your guide! Dr. Biehler

Re: To Dr. Biehler

Dr. Biehler on 7/14/00 at 18:00 (023350)

Karen. There are different approches to open heel spur removal. Everyone recouperates at their own pace and the amout of pain felt is also a personal thing. The amount of bone that was removed and if the Doctor had to remove the flexor digitorum brevis muscle to get to the spur will have an effect on the time it takes to recoupe. The s tapeles are out and the healing has begun. Do not be afraid to move in the walking cast but let the pain be your guide! Dr. Biehler