Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I think my originally injured foot is doing better.

Posted by Beverly on 7/14/00 at 13:20 (023333)

Hi all!

I have hestitated to post this, because I didn't want to report progress too soon. Now, a week later, I can say that my right foot... the original injury seems to be getting better. I am not noticing as much pain. My left foot has a long, long way to go, but that is the fresher/newer injury.

I think the Birks, rest, and time have as much to do with my right foot doing better than anything else. I say that, because whenever I try to alternate shoes to my Ecco's, quality athletic shoes with inserts, or even the very expensive Mephesto's that I plan to return to the store, I feel increased heel pain. Then, when I get back in the birks, the heel pain is lessened. I'm not saying it is gone...just less extreme.

Judy says she hears more optimism from several of us. Perhaps, the doctors are right about one thing... that with time, treatment, and rest PF does get better.

When I first got this I wanted to be able to return to everything I did before. I have a more realistic goal now. It really does not matter to me if I can ever get on a treadmill again or even play an occassional game of tennis. Since I am not a jock, this is easier for me to live with. I can be very happy graduating to the day I can:

To be able to walk through the grocery store without pain
To be able to go to the mall without pain
To be able to go sightseeing on vacations
To be able to ride my stationary bike without pain
To be able to do very light lowerbody weight machines (but excluding the ones that call for you to push with your feet)
To be able to slow dance
To be able to chit chat at a cocktail party or after church on my feet rather than feeling like a wallflower stuck in the corner on a sofa

My hope is that with more realistic goals, I will be less frustrated.
I really do love the treadmill and the track... my favorite form of exercise, but I'm not sure that once I do get pain free that it is worth it to push it. However, I am curious; for those of you (the few among us) who are doing significantly better, are you able to at least walk on the treadmill at a low speed without pain? Also, are any of you able to do the lowerbody machines without pain? If so, which ones? I am especially interested in the average people... the 'average' go to the health club two to four times a week people. Since I am not a jock, I won't be comparing apples with apples to gather this info from the professional athletes amongst us.

See ya,
Beverly

PS: I know I am a terrible speller. Too bad we don't have spellcheck.

Re: I think my originally injured foot is doing better.

Lori R. on 7/14/00 at 22:15 (023358)

I also have been feeling better after an insert in my athletic sneakers, and insert in my shoes and alternating with birks. I find I do better if I wear alittle of all of the above. Today, I was feeling good and I decided to go on the treadmill for the first time in 4 months. I ran the NYC marathon in 1999 and I have been eager to go and run. I did alittle on the treadmill and I paused for acouple of seconds to stretch ( did it for 3 times) . I did it for 1' mile and then I did my favorite machine (cross trainer for 5 minutes) for a stretch for 5 minutes. I came home and I iced and my achilles was alittle tight so I made sure to wear the birks. I feel great. But I was so hesitant to run again. What I learned was I needed to take larger stride lengths on the treadmill and my legs felt much better.
I hope that helps.

Lori

Re: I think my originally injured foot is doing better.

Lori R. on 7/14/00 at 22:15 (023358)

I also have been feeling better after an insert in my athletic sneakers, and insert in my shoes and alternating with birks. I find I do better if I wear alittle of all of the above. Today, I was feeling good and I decided to go on the treadmill for the first time in 4 months. I ran the NYC marathon in 1999 and I have been eager to go and run. I did alittle on the treadmill and I paused for acouple of seconds to stretch ( did it for 3 times) . I did it for 1' mile and then I did my favorite machine (cross trainer for 5 minutes) for a stretch for 5 minutes. I came home and I iced and my achilles was alittle tight so I made sure to wear the birks. I feel great. But I was so hesitant to run again. What I learned was I needed to take larger stride lengths on the treadmill and my legs felt much better.
I hope that helps.

Lori