Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just put in my notice

Posted by Lori E. on 7/14/00 at 19:59 (023354)

I just put in my notice at work today. After 11 months of dealing with this, my employer offered my a severance package to get rid of me and my affliction. With PF and chronic pain it was mighty hard to be a 'team player.' I guess I will get a job at a temp agency. I would like to take my 4.5 months of vacation pay and one months pay severance to do nothing but heal up, but employers frown upon prospective employees who don't have a job. Sorry to bring this up again, but I am feeling pretty down about losing my job. I enjoyed the discussion about PF friendly careers, but right now I just don't see a possitive solution to my situation.

Re: Just put in my notice

cindyp on 7/14/00 at 21:11 (023355)

I can well understand the frustration. I have not worked in a few years. The constant pain is tough to deal with. You try to find things you can do that won't cause pain and I haven't quite stumbled on it yet. I am after much thought and decision am filing for disability. I really do not want to but (in my case) I cannot be cured right now. So what else am I to do.

Nancy S. on 7/15/00 at 08:23 (023364)

Lori, it's certainly natural to feel down about losing your job. You were planning to leave anyway, yes? If so, try not to let this event disempower you. Your employer pulled the rug out from under you by acting first, but if it was in your plan to leave anyway, you really haven't lost much. Were you planning on working part-time while going to school? You know, I can't imagine that getting hired would be hindered by taking a couple of months off with your severance pay. You can just say you took the time to evaluate exactly what you wanted to do next.
The time off might really be beneficial in many ways. Just my thought. --Nancy

Lori E. on 7/16/00 at 15:40 (023396)

I was feeling down about the situation. Writing my notice, handing it in and agreeing on an end date just made the whole situation more real to me. Now I guess my question is, do I take the time off and rest, then go and work for a temp agency or do I start right back to work again? My friends think I should take the time off as a gift, my dad thinks I should go right back to work. I am feeling better about the whole thing now. I guess I just needed to vent a little of my frustration. Thanks for listening.

Nancy S. on 7/16/00 at 16:36 (023398)

Lori, I vote with your friends. For one thing, it's a golden opportunity to give an extended rest to your feet. For another, it would give you some time to adjust to and accept it that you're having to make changes in your life to accommodate them. I'm sure you are feeling some grief now that you have a work end-date and the reality of making this change is hitting. If you don't have to rush into doing temp. work, I think you'd be doing your feet and your spirit a favor to take some time off.
That said, if you do take a rest I hope you'll prepare for it better than I did. I took 3 months of rest from my work this past winter -- my feet forced me to -- and I was so exhausted from struggling through the pain for eight months that I pictured the rest time as a picnic compared to that. But it wasn't -- it was hard, I got very depressed and discouraged.
Things I would do differently: I would start right in doing artwork and other foot-friendly projects (instead I let inertia set in and did practically nothing). I would make continual plans to see people, by inviting them over, going to sit-down gatherings, etc. (instead I got into an 'I'm an invalid and I don't want to see people' mentality; got way too isolated). I would make sure that I get exercise regularly and keep those endorphins moving (I did swim, and started out at 3 times a week, then it became 2 times, and then I stopped -- again, inertia). Finally, I would read more books and watch less tv (I don't ordinarily like tv, but boy was it just too tempting when I felt tired and down and useless).
But the rest DID help my PF immeasurably, so I highly recommend it if you can prepare yourself to use the time to replenish your spirit as well and be sure to fight the isolation and depression if they come up (I finally saw a therapist for two months in order to get out of that state, and she was very helpful).
Please let us know what you decide. --Nancy

cindyp on 7/14/00 at 21:11 (023355)

I can well understand the frustration. I have not worked in a few years. The constant pain is tough to deal with. You try to find things you can do that won't cause pain and I haven't quite stumbled on it yet. I am after much thought and decision am filing for disability. I really do not want to but (in my case) I cannot be cured right now. So what else am I to do.

Nancy S. on 7/15/00 at 08:23 (023364)

Lori, it's certainly natural to feel down about losing your job. You were planning to leave anyway, yes? If so, try not to let this event disempower you. Your employer pulled the rug out from under you by acting first, but if it was in your plan to leave anyway, you really haven't lost much. Were you planning on working part-time while going to school? You know, I can't imagine that getting hired would be hindered by taking a couple of months off with your severance pay. You can just say you took the time to evaluate exactly what you wanted to do next.
The time off might really be beneficial in many ways. Just my thought. --Nancy

Lori E. on 7/16/00 at 15:40 (023396)

I was feeling down about the situation. Writing my notice, handing it in and agreeing on an end date just made the whole situation more real to me. Now I guess my question is, do I take the time off and rest, then go and work for a temp agency or do I start right back to work again? My friends think I should take the time off as a gift, my dad thinks I should go right back to work. I am feeling better about the whole thing now. I guess I just needed to vent a little of my frustration. Thanks for listening.

Nancy S. on 7/16/00 at 16:36 (023398)

Lori, I vote with your friends. For one thing, it's a golden opportunity to give an extended rest to your feet. For another, it would give you some time to adjust to and accept it that you're having to make changes in your life to accommodate them. I'm sure you are feeling some grief now that you have a work end-date and the reality of making this change is hitting. If you don't have to rush into doing temp. work, I think you'd be doing your feet and your spirit a favor to take some time off.
That said, if you do take a rest I hope you'll prepare for it better than I did. I took 3 months of rest from my work this past winter -- my feet forced me to -- and I was so exhausted from struggling through the pain for eight months that I pictured the rest time as a picnic compared to that. But it wasn't -- it was hard, I got very depressed and discouraged.
Things I would do differently: I would start right in doing artwork and other foot-friendly projects (instead I let inertia set in and did practically nothing). I would make continual plans to see people, by inviting them over, going to sit-down gatherings, etc. (instead I got into an 'I'm an invalid and I don't want to see people' mentality; got way too isolated). I would make sure that I get exercise regularly and keep those endorphins moving (I did swim, and started out at 3 times a week, then it became 2 times, and then I stopped -- again, inertia). Finally, I would read more books and watch less tv (I don't ordinarily like tv, but boy was it just too tempting when I felt tired and down and useless).
But the rest DID help my PF immeasurably, so I highly recommend it if you can prepare yourself to use the time to replenish your spirit as well and be sure to fight the isolation and depression if they come up (I finally saw a therapist for two months in order to get out of that state, and she was very helpful).
Please let us know what you decide. --Nancy