Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another hurdle

Posted by KarenS on 7/16/00 at 12:49 (023389)

Well I got my walking cast on July 13th after they took my staples out. Yesterday I was able to start walking on it but I don't know what to expect. I can't put my full weight on it and still have to use both my crutches. I'm even slower now than when I was hopping. What is the best way to approach this. My leg is swelling like crazy and the cast feels so tight. Even my toes hurt and are swelled bad. When I wake up in the morning the cast feels very loose but after I'm up for an hour or so forget it. The cast is on for at least 4 weeks but so far I'm not liking it. Any suggestions???

Thanks....Karen

Re: Another hurdle

Fred on 7/16/00 at 13:22 (023391)

Sorry you are having problems with the cast. I am going into my third week in a short leg walking cast with almost no problems. My best advice is to elevate your foot as much as possible. Whenever I sit down, I put my foot up on the couch or an ottoman. This has worked very well for me. You might also wrap an ice bag around the outside of the cast. The swelling should go down after a few days on its own.

Laurie R on 7/16/00 at 15:01 (023394)

Hi,
If your foot is swollen than that means you are on it to much ,I sure know what it is like to be in a cast ,I have been in and out of them for months now I am in a walking cast.Like Fred said you can put ice around it. I do know how hard it is try to stay off of it and the swelling will go down.When I was in my hard cast my foot would start swelling as soon as I would stand up with no weight on it at all.Hany in there things will get better.My very best to you.Laurie R

john h on 7/16/00 at 17:04 (023400)

karen: what kind of surgery did you have? most of the doctors in my area do not put you in a cast for PF surgery-just a surgical shoe and have you walk out of the surgery without crutches.

KarenS on 7/16/00 at 18:15 (023401)

John: I had open heel surgery for a heel spur removal and a muscle release by an orthopedic surgeon. He had told me he was just doing a muscle release and that I would be in a cast for 6 weeks. After he opened my heel (which I was awake for) he started taking the spur off cause it was so big, did the release and wrapped my foot in gauze. I was not allowed any weight on it for 2 weeks then had to go have the staples removed and put in this cast. My family DR. said it would probably be a non bearing cast so I was surprized when it was a walking cast.

JudyS on 7/17/00 at 20:08 (023464)

Karen - it's entirely possible that your cast is simply too tight. It makes sense, too, that you may just be up too much too soon. I tried the cast treatment (not surgery) several months ago and it only took a day and a half to figure out that it wasn't right. My doc was more than willing to get me in immediately and replace it with a looser one. Have you phoned your doc about the swelling?

Fred on 7/18/00 at 14:48 (023532)

Karen - Just wanted to see how you are doing. Has the swelling gone down yet? What have you done to prevent it? Hope you are well and are able to get around better than you were a couple of days ago.

Fred on 7/16/00 at 13:22 (023391)

Sorry you are having problems with the cast. I am going into my third week in a short leg walking cast with almost no problems. My best advice is to elevate your foot as much as possible. Whenever I sit down, I put my foot up on the couch or an ottoman. This has worked very well for me. You might also wrap an ice bag around the outside of the cast. The swelling should go down after a few days on its own.

Laurie R on 7/16/00 at 15:01 (023394)

Hi,
If your foot is swollen than that means you are on it to much ,I sure know what it is like to be in a cast ,I have been in and out of them for months now I am in a walking cast.Like Fred said you can put ice around it. I do know how hard it is try to stay off of it and the swelling will go down.When I was in my hard cast my foot would start swelling as soon as I would stand up with no weight on it at all.Hany in there things will get better.My very best to you.Laurie R

john h on 7/16/00 at 17:04 (023400)

karen: what kind of surgery did you have? most of the doctors in my area do not put you in a cast for PF surgery-just a surgical shoe and have you walk out of the surgery without crutches.

KarenS on 7/16/00 at 18:15 (023401)

John: I had open heel surgery for a heel spur removal and a muscle release by an orthopedic surgeon. He had told me he was just doing a muscle release and that I would be in a cast for 6 weeks. After he opened my heel (which I was awake for) he started taking the spur off cause it was so big, did the release and wrapped my foot in gauze. I was not allowed any weight on it for 2 weeks then had to go have the staples removed and put in this cast. My family DR. said it would probably be a non bearing cast so I was surprized when it was a walking cast.

JudyS on 7/17/00 at 20:08 (023464)

Karen - it's entirely possible that your cast is simply too tight. It makes sense, too, that you may just be up too much too soon. I tried the cast treatment (not surgery) several months ago and it only took a day and a half to figure out that it wasn't right. My doc was more than willing to get me in immediately and replace it with a looser one. Have you phoned your doc about the swelling?

Fred on 7/18/00 at 14:48 (023532)

Karen - Just wanted to see how you are doing. Has the swelling gone down yet? What have you done to prevent it? Hope you are well and are able to get around better than you were a couple of days ago.