Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recently developed PF, Is anyone aware of effective early treatments?

Posted by Scott E on 7/16/00 at 23:12 (023408)

After reading this site I believe I have PF. I have had severe pain on the bottom of my heel for about 2 weeks. One afternoon I awoke from a nap could not walk. I have From reading the site, I have the following conditions could have contributed to the condition: 1)I had back pain 1 month ago which caused sciatic nerve pain, I used to run alot and had over-pronation and require firm arch support in my running shoes, during the past year I have become very inactive and have a desk job. I am stretching my calf muscle, resting, and planning to buy some shoes with better support. Any other advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Scott

Re: Recently developed PF, Is anyone aware of effective early treatments?

Bob G. on 7/16/00 at 23:21 (023410)

Hey, Scott!

Well, stop doing whatever hurts, rest - and seek a Pedorthist (spelling?) for proper footwear. Listen to restful music and remember to stretch and massage those calf muscles before getting out of bed.

Good luck! BG

Nancy S. on 7/17/00 at 02:24 (023414)

Hi Scott, you might find that icing your foot regularly (say, three times a day for ten minutes, and especially after you've been on it and are having pain) will help keep inflammation down. Also, have you looked into getting a night splint? This keeps your foot in a flexed position at night (and when resting at other times), so that when you first get up you aren't walking on a contracted fascia and causing microtears (those are the reason you feel such pain upon first getting up).
You should probably see a doctor to get officially diagnosed. As for actual treatment from a doctor, some of us have had better luck than others. I learned just about everything I know from this site, very little from my doctor. Maybe you'll have better luck. In any case, since you've been reading this site, you're in a good position to question and evaluate a doctor's advice.
You are very wise to be tackling this problem so soon. At two weeks, and actively trying to take care of your foot, you have every reason to believe you'll get well. Still, it does take time, so hang on to your patience!
Best of luck to you. --Nancy

rock on 7/17/00 at 13:06 (023432)

Scott,

PF is a little bit different in every person. That is why our simple task 'do what helps healing and avoid what re-injures' is so difficult. We all must use trial and error to find our own solution !

Here are the Top 11 things that helped me get over PF.

1. 0.75 inch heel lifts
2. active isolated stretching (calves, hamstrings, glutes, quads, groin, shins,...)
3. less rigid running shoes
4. less running
5. massage - by person, of calves and Plantar Fascia
6. calf massage - by the 'stick'
7. ice,ice,ice
8. more biking
9. more swimming
10. foot strengthening exercises
11. Vitamin C / 1000mg three times a day

Maybe, some of this will help you.

Rock.
TN. USA.

john h on 7/17/00 at 17:12 (023449)

scott: you are a fortunate man in that you have recognized a problem early on. go to a doctor and get a diagnosis and give your feet a rest. you should be able to cure this problem with recognized treatments. just do not continue with your present routine.

Scott E. on 7/17/00 at 21:59 (023479)

Thanks for everyones advice. I will try to follow it.
-Scott

Kim B. on 7/17/00 at 22:02 (023480)

Hi Scott,

I think the earliest treatment was amputation. Is that the one you were thinking of? OK, Jus kiddin, Jee, I gotta misbehave sometime.

I have had a lot of sciatica problems too, and yoga has helped alot. Also, here at this site, do a search (space above) on the phrase 'piriformis syndrome'. It has a lot to do with sciatic nerve pain. Very good information provided. Good Luck,

Kim B.

Bob G. on 7/16/00 at 23:21 (023410)

Hey, Scott!

Well, stop doing whatever hurts, rest - and seek a Pedorthist (spelling?) for proper footwear. Listen to restful music and remember to stretch and massage those calf muscles before getting out of bed.

Good luck! BG

Nancy S. on 7/17/00 at 02:24 (023414)

Hi Scott, you might find that icing your foot regularly (say, three times a day for ten minutes, and especially after you've been on it and are having pain) will help keep inflammation down. Also, have you looked into getting a night splint? This keeps your foot in a flexed position at night (and when resting at other times), so that when you first get up you aren't walking on a contracted fascia and causing microtears (those are the reason you feel such pain upon first getting up).
You should probably see a doctor to get officially diagnosed. As for actual treatment from a doctor, some of us have had better luck than others. I learned just about everything I know from this site, very little from my doctor. Maybe you'll have better luck. In any case, since you've been reading this site, you're in a good position to question and evaluate a doctor's advice.
You are very wise to be tackling this problem so soon. At two weeks, and actively trying to take care of your foot, you have every reason to believe you'll get well. Still, it does take time, so hang on to your patience!
Best of luck to you. --Nancy

rock on 7/17/00 at 13:06 (023432)

Scott,

PF is a little bit different in every person. That is why our simple task 'do what helps healing and avoid what re-injures' is so difficult. We all must use trial and error to find our own solution !

Here are the Top 11 things that helped me get over PF.

1. 0.75 inch heel lifts
2. active isolated stretching (calves, hamstrings, glutes, quads, groin, shins,...)
3. less rigid running shoes
4. less running
5. massage - by person, of calves and Plantar Fascia
6. calf massage - by the 'stick'
7. ice,ice,ice
8. more biking
9. more swimming
10. foot strengthening exercises
11. Vitamin C / 1000mg three times a day

Maybe, some of this will help you.

Rock.
TN. USA.

john h on 7/17/00 at 17:12 (023449)

scott: you are a fortunate man in that you have recognized a problem early on. go to a doctor and get a diagnosis and give your feet a rest. you should be able to cure this problem with recognized treatments. just do not continue with your present routine.

Scott E. on 7/17/00 at 21:59 (023479)

Thanks for everyones advice. I will try to follow it.
-Scott

Kim B. on 7/17/00 at 22:02 (023480)

Hi Scott,

I think the earliest treatment was amputation. Is that the one you were thinking of? OK, Jus kiddin, Jee, I gotta misbehave sometime.

I have had a lot of sciatica problems too, and yoga has helped alot. Also, here at this site, do a search (space above) on the phrase 'piriformis syndrome'. It has a lot to do with sciatic nerve pain. Very good information provided. Good Luck,

Kim B.