Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Am I the only one who's different?

Posted by Barbara on 7/17/00 at 13:24 (023433)

I now have PF for 5 months. It started out bad (with that classic feeling of walking on tacks) and after 1 month of rest rest rest calmed down. I am now at the point where I have no pain while off my feet and just a tired feeling when I walk. If I overdo it, I get aches in my heels and arches which go away in a day of two of rest and ice. This latter stage has been going on for 4 months. I sometimes feel I'm finally over it and then 'boom'. By the way, when I mean I overdo it, I mean walking or standing on hard or uneven surfaces for more than 1/2 hour.

But here is why I feel I am different. I find it very comfortable to walk barefoot. I wear running shoes all day, everyday. When I get home from work, I wear only my socks or my flat slippers. No pain.
Does this make sense?

Re: Am I the only one who's different?

john h on 7/17/00 at 17:03 (023447)

barbara: pf makes no sense in the way it effects all of us in such a different manner which leads me to conclude we do not all have exactly the same problem.

JudyS on 7/17/00 at 19:51 (023455)

doesn't make sense to me, Barbara - but I have exactly the same experience! I don't have morning pain and I don't have barefoot pain. In fact, many times it's less painful to go shoeless.....but I think that may be because I have high arches and shoes can get to be too restrictive on the top surface of my foot. Having said that and in spite of being tempted to be barefoot, I still work at not doing so. I can't help but think that, in the long run, it'll just inhibit the heeling process.

Barbara on 7/17/00 at 20:47 (023470)

My arches are 'normal' but tend to collapse when I stand. My Pod called it funtional flat foot. My feet also turn out a bit more than normal when I walk.

My Chiro told me to never go barefoot, but I don't think he understands how I feel while going barefoot. By definition, PF should make my feet hurt when barefoot. But mine don't.

It seems that doctors only know what their text books tell them and tend to ignore the real world. Classic symptoms don't always exhibit themselves in diseases. PF seems to be a great menu of symptoms...but like a real meal, some people have dessert and some don't. I don't have morning pain. I can go barefoot. I can't stretch. I can't tolerate orthotics. I will recover, eventually!!!

Kim B. on 7/17/00 at 21:28 (023476)

Hi Barb,

No, you're not alone, this is often the case with me too. I especially have some pain free moments trecking across the soft carpeting. However, like Judy, I try to resist for the most part, 'cause I've paid the barefoot piper too many times not to learn my lesson. I try to give my heels and arches as much as comfortable support as possible.

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 7/17/00 at 17:03 (023447)

barbara: pf makes no sense in the way it effects all of us in such a different manner which leads me to conclude we do not all have exactly the same problem.

JudyS on 7/17/00 at 19:51 (023455)

doesn't make sense to me, Barbara - but I have exactly the same experience! I don't have morning pain and I don't have barefoot pain. In fact, many times it's less painful to go shoeless.....but I think that may be because I have high arches and shoes can get to be too restrictive on the top surface of my foot. Having said that and in spite of being tempted to be barefoot, I still work at not doing so. I can't help but think that, in the long run, it'll just inhibit the heeling process.

Barbara on 7/17/00 at 20:47 (023470)

My arches are 'normal' but tend to collapse when I stand. My Pod called it funtional flat foot. My feet also turn out a bit more than normal when I walk.

My Chiro told me to never go barefoot, but I don't think he understands how I feel while going barefoot. By definition, PF should make my feet hurt when barefoot. But mine don't.

It seems that doctors only know what their text books tell them and tend to ignore the real world. Classic symptoms don't always exhibit themselves in diseases. PF seems to be a great menu of symptoms...but like a real meal, some people have dessert and some don't. I don't have morning pain. I can go barefoot. I can't stretch. I can't tolerate orthotics. I will recover, eventually!!!

Kim B. on 7/17/00 at 21:28 (023476)

Hi Barb,

No, you're not alone, this is often the case with me too. I especially have some pain free moments trecking across the soft carpeting. However, like Judy, I try to resist for the most part, 'cause I've paid the barefoot piper too many times not to learn my lesson. I try to give my heels and arches as much as comfortable support as possible.

Regards, Kim B.