Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question.......

Posted by JudyS on 7/17/00 at 20:43 (023469)

please forgive me if I've asked this before - I don't remember;

Do most of you experience severe heel pain only? I ask because, in my continuing effort to figure this PF thing out, I'm realizing that I read here mostly about heel pain. But I have minimal heel pain these days.....my nasty, debilitating, demoralizing, dehumanizing, degrading, de.......whatever pain is only in my arches. How about you guys?

Re: question.......

Lori E. on 7/17/00 at 21:09 (023472)

Judy,
I have pain both in my heels and my arches. It hurts worse in my heels when I over do it, but the arch pain is pretty much constant. I still do my share of icing when I have a busy day along with bromelain, acupuncture, birks,stretching, and exercise, I hope you feel better. You are not alone.

Kim B. on 7/17/00 at 21:20 (023475)

Hi Judy,

My pain moves around. For a while the worst pain was at the front of the spur site, then for awhile, my poor arches were VERY tender to the touch. (Literally, finger to arch = BIG OUCH!) At times it's been the bottom of my ankles. I've been OK for a several days now, but having overdone it a bit today, and at the moment, my upper heels, behind my ankles hurt the most at the moment. I don't understand the migration of the pain. Speculation tells me that maybe my weakest link carries the burdon. Good Luck,

Kim B.

Nancy S. on 7/17/00 at 22:16 (023483)

Hi Judy! Welcome back, for pete's sake. To try to answer your question, my PF is all mixed up in my mind now with the achilles tendonitis, which has gotten nasty. But I had the severe heel pain from May to December 99; since I started wearing Birks and doing some other things learned on this board, that excruciating pain has changed to not excruciating. Sometimes I have heel pain, but never in the morning now -- only if I've been on my feet too long. The pain began to move around, I'd say starting in January. I had pain on the sides of my foot, and around the ankles, and arch pain too like you say you're having. Currently, along with the AT problem, I have little heel pain but do have some arch pain and sometimes pain I can't even pinpoint. The only things that never hurt are my toes and the tops of my feet. None of it is unbearable at this point, though. Do you have any idea what your arch pain is from? Why did you stop wearing Birks, or is that a secret?
--Nancy

Beverly on 7/17/00 at 22:45 (023489)

Judy,

I can assure you you are not alone in your arch pain. That is where my pain is the worst. On a bad day, my left arch can literally take my breath away and hurt so bad I think I am a few steps away from wanting to puke. On a good day, it is only mildly sore. All depends on how much I'm on them.

My heels hurt depending on the shoe. For some reason, I have yet to find an athletic shoe that takes heel pain away as well as the Birks.
(However, I am currently trying out my new Anywears clogs that just came in the mail today, and I am impressed so far.) But in general, my heel pain is secondary to my arch pain.

Sometimes I have pain around the big toe, but it is not an everyday thing. And if I'm on my feet much, I get ankle pain somedays, but not every day.

Yet, as I posted a few days ago, I still think my original injury is doing a bit better. The more newly hurt foot has a VERY long way to go.
Beverly

Helene M on 7/18/00 at 08:36 (023507)

Judy, the more I read your posts, the more I think our situation is identical. I have virtually no heel pain any more. I only have arch pain and can no longer wear supports which press against my arches as it just makes them swell more. Yet I feel I need the support. Kind of a catch-22. I haven't seen a dr. in a while. I've kind of given up on that. All they tell me is that I must wear orthotics. When I tell them the pressure of the orthotic makes my arches worse, they have no answer for that. This has been very frustrating.

john h on 7/18/00 at 09:18 (023511)

i have never had heel pain. my pain is largely where the fascia attaches to the heel on the inside edge and bottom of foot. this is the classic place for pf pain.

ChanaW on 7/18/00 at 09:40 (023512)

When I was first afflicted about 5 years ago I had severe arch pain. After acupuncture and a good kinesiologist It slithered over the tops of my arches, around over my toes, through the sides of my feet and has lately been resting in my heels and ankles only. It keeps me on my toes (ha ha)

Lori E. on 7/17/00 at 21:09 (023472)

Judy,
I have pain both in my heels and my arches. It hurts worse in my heels when I over do it, but the arch pain is pretty much constant. I still do my share of icing when I have a busy day along with bromelain, acupuncture, birks,stretching, and exercise, I hope you feel better. You are not alone.

Kim B. on 7/17/00 at 21:20 (023475)

Hi Judy,

My pain moves around. For a while the worst pain was at the front of the spur site, then for awhile, my poor arches were VERY tender to the touch. (Literally, finger to arch = BIG OUCH!) At times it's been the bottom of my ankles. I've been OK for a several days now, but having overdone it a bit today, and at the moment, my upper heels, behind my ankles hurt the most at the moment. I don't understand the migration of the pain. Speculation tells me that maybe my weakest link carries the burdon. Good Luck,

Kim B.

Nancy S. on 7/17/00 at 22:16 (023483)

Hi Judy! Welcome back, for pete's sake. To try to answer your question, my PF is all mixed up in my mind now with the achilles tendonitis, which has gotten nasty. But I had the severe heel pain from May to December 99; since I started wearing Birks and doing some other things learned on this board, that excruciating pain has changed to not excruciating. Sometimes I have heel pain, but never in the morning now -- only if I've been on my feet too long. The pain began to move around, I'd say starting in January. I had pain on the sides of my foot, and around the ankles, and arch pain too like you say you're having. Currently, along with the AT problem, I have little heel pain but do have some arch pain and sometimes pain I can't even pinpoint. The only things that never hurt are my toes and the tops of my feet. None of it is unbearable at this point, though. Do you have any idea what your arch pain is from? Why did you stop wearing Birks, or is that a secret?
--Nancy

Beverly on 7/17/00 at 22:45 (023489)

Judy,

I can assure you you are not alone in your arch pain. That is where my pain is the worst. On a bad day, my left arch can literally take my breath away and hurt so bad I think I am a few steps away from wanting to puke. On a good day, it is only mildly sore. All depends on how much I'm on them.

My heels hurt depending on the shoe. For some reason, I have yet to find an athletic shoe that takes heel pain away as well as the Birks.
(However, I am currently trying out my new Anywears clogs that just came in the mail today, and I am impressed so far.) But in general, my heel pain is secondary to my arch pain.

Sometimes I have pain around the big toe, but it is not an everyday thing. And if I'm on my feet much, I get ankle pain somedays, but not every day.

Yet, as I posted a few days ago, I still think my original injury is doing a bit better. The more newly hurt foot has a VERY long way to go.
Beverly

Helene M on 7/18/00 at 08:36 (023507)

Judy, the more I read your posts, the more I think our situation is identical. I have virtually no heel pain any more. I only have arch pain and can no longer wear supports which press against my arches as it just makes them swell more. Yet I feel I need the support. Kind of a catch-22. I haven't seen a dr. in a while. I've kind of given up on that. All they tell me is that I must wear orthotics. When I tell them the pressure of the orthotic makes my arches worse, they have no answer for that. This has been very frustrating.

john h on 7/18/00 at 09:18 (023511)

i have never had heel pain. my pain is largely where the fascia attaches to the heel on the inside edge and bottom of foot. this is the classic place for pf pain.

ChanaW on 7/18/00 at 09:40 (023512)

When I was first afflicted about 5 years ago I had severe arch pain. After acupuncture and a good kinesiologist It slithered over the tops of my arches, around over my toes, through the sides of my feet and has lately been resting in my heels and ankles only. It keeps me on my toes (ha ha)