Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is this normal???

Posted by Stacy S on 7/17/00 at 22:49 (023490)

Hi ALL,
When ever my archs start to hurt, You can actually see right by my archs that its a little blue. Is this normal or do I have bigger problems then PF? I have had this promblems( now diagnosed PF) for years since I was in the eleventh grade and my grandmother use to make me roll my foot over a round even bottle. This used to help the pain. But it always came back. I even went to the POD at the age of 18 and I was simply told to get sneaker or shoes that does not bend. I am very particular about the shoes I wear. It doesn't have to be expensive, but the minute it starts to hurt, I either take it back or never wear it again. I am very surprised that this problem is still occuring 12 years later. How long does this go on? Am a damned for life with problem? I wish I new about PF earlier maybe I could have saved my self from this misery. I have to say that a real message from a professional really helps. I really appreciate this website I have learned a lot about my feet.

Stacy

Re: Is this normal???

PattyS on 7/18/00 at 01:24 (023497)

Stacy,
If the round bottle helps, try keeping a frozen juice container handy and rolling your foot on that. I used to put mine in a ziploc (to prevent leaks) and then cover it with a thin sock (so it wouldn't be too cold on my foot). That always felt sooo good!
If the massage has helped you in the past you might consider going regularly. Do a message board search for Active Release Therapy, or DR. Leahy. I saw him to have it done and I beleive that it has been the biggest factor in my recovery. I liked what I read in the other posts and I conveniently live in the same city so I gave it a shot. Patty

Richard Graham C.Ped on 7/18/00 at 12:12 (023521)

Stacy,
I seriously doubt that the 'blueness' you see is normal. That may be due to swelling and overuse. I want to encourage you to seek information about properly made custom orthotics. Make sure you use a Podiatrist or Certified Pedorthist. To find a Pedorthist near you, look up the 'Board for Certification in Pedorthics' web site. There is a section where you can type in your state and all the pedorthists will be listed in your area. If you decide to have inserts made, check with your insurance company to see if they are covered. It depends on the insurance plan, but more than likely the inserts will be covered.
You mentioned shoes. When buying shoes of any type, while holding the heel, push slightly on the toe area. A well made shoe should only bend at the ball area. If it bends in the middle, stay away from that shoe!! That is a big no-no with plantar fasciitis.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I do not like to hear that people are in pain. That is why I do what I do.
Richard Graham, C.Ped, O.S.T.

PattyS on 7/18/00 at 01:24 (023497)

Stacy,
If the round bottle helps, try keeping a frozen juice container handy and rolling your foot on that. I used to put mine in a ziploc (to prevent leaks) and then cover it with a thin sock (so it wouldn't be too cold on my foot). That always felt sooo good!
If the massage has helped you in the past you might consider going regularly. Do a message board search for Active Release Therapy, or DR. Leahy. I saw him to have it done and I beleive that it has been the biggest factor in my recovery. I liked what I read in the other posts and I conveniently live in the same city so I gave it a shot. Patty

Richard Graham C.Ped on 7/18/00 at 12:12 (023521)

Stacy,
I seriously doubt that the 'blueness' you see is normal. That may be due to swelling and overuse. I want to encourage you to seek information about properly made custom orthotics. Make sure you use a Podiatrist or Certified Pedorthist. To find a Pedorthist near you, look up the 'Board for Certification in Pedorthics' web site. There is a section where you can type in your state and all the pedorthists will be listed in your area. If you decide to have inserts made, check with your insurance company to see if they are covered. It depends on the insurance plan, but more than likely the inserts will be covered.
You mentioned shoes. When buying shoes of any type, while holding the heel, push slightly on the toe area. A well made shoe should only bend at the ball area. If it bends in the middle, stay away from that shoe!! That is a big no-no with plantar fasciitis.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I do not like to hear that people are in pain. That is why I do what I do.
Richard Graham, C.Ped, O.S.T.