Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How much stretching/icing?

Posted by Sue R on 7/18/00 at 07:57 (023504)

I've been stretching religiously every day and sometimes wonder if I'm overdoing it. I feel like I strained my right arch from stretching too much and now wonder how much is good. What do ya'll do and what seems to be working for you?

I've also been icing 4 times per day and it does feel good but it's so temporary. Do ya'll think it's worth the time to do it this much? I'm beginning to wonder...

Re: How much stretching/icing?

alan k on 7/18/00 at 12:48 (023525)

If the icing feels good you can go ahead and do it as much as you want, according to majority experience. People generally reduce or eliminate icing out of laziness when the pain is no longer great, so most of us just naturally reduce or eliminate icing as needed.

As for stretching, some have found that there can be too much, too often, and /or too rough. If you feel it is making it worse then you should probably back off. Make sure you are stretching after exercise that gets your blood pumping and your muscles warmed up. Ice afterward if you feel you over-did it. You may need to take a break from stretching altogether, but it is impossible to tell from here.

good luck!

alan k

Re: What's the name of that German site for birks?

Sue R on 7/18/00 at 13:55 (023528)

I thought it was in the home page but I've been unable to find it. Can anybody help? Thanks!

Betsy P. on 7/18/00 at 22:34 (023542)

Hi, Someone posted it a couple of days ago and I copied it. It is http://www.birkenstock-cn.com

Re: How much stretching/icing?

alan k on 7/18/00 at 12:48 (023525)

If the icing feels good you can go ahead and do it as much as you want, according to majority experience. People generally reduce or eliminate icing out of laziness when the pain is no longer great, so most of us just naturally reduce or eliminate icing as needed.

As for stretching, some have found that there can be too much, too often, and /or too rough. If you feel it is making it worse then you should probably back off. Make sure you are stretching after exercise that gets your blood pumping and your muscles warmed up. Ice afterward if you feel you over-did it. You may need to take a break from stretching altogether, but it is impossible to tell from here.

good luck!

alan k

Sue R on 7/18/00 at 13:55 (023528)

I thought it was in the home page but I've been unable to find it. Can anybody help? Thanks!

Betsy P. on 7/18/00 at 22:34 (023542)

Hi, Someone posted it a couple of days ago and I copied it. It is http://www.birkenstock-cn.com