Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My foot hurts, with a picture

Posted by Scott R on 7/18/00 at 22:52 (023544)

I was just going to bed a few minutes ago and something felt like it was scratching my left foot (the worse one) when I slide my feet under the sheets. I got up an turned on the light and noticed that when I lightly touched the side of my foot in a specific spot, the bottom of my foot would have a slight sting or tingling like something was scratching it or maybe like a jellyfish sting, except not as bad. So I decided to take a camcorder picture of it and see what ya'll think. I have been trying to go without tape again lately, with success, and pushing my foot to the limit, so it should be connected to that. But in the picture, you'll see a small circled area where I lightly touch what looks like a vague line 1/2 ' long to get the big circled area to tingle. It's really weird. I thought all the nerves came from the heel area, and that referred tingling like that should be able to come from the side to the bottom of the foot. And what about that little line? Where'd it come from. See picture link below
http://heelspurs.com/srfoot.jpg

Re: My foot hurts, with a picture

alan k on 7/19/00 at 07:37 (023549)

Is this something that happens mainly at night? Is it a tingling that happens each and every time you touch it? How hard do you need to touch it?

I am sorry I can't make out the line you spoke of, but otherwise I think you might look into blood tests for B-12, homocystiene levels, and iron. Supplementation of high-quality vitamin E at 400 mg a day for two weeks is proven effective on night cramps and night crawly feelings, which could be merely what this is. B-6 and B-12 (B-12 sublingual) are good for nerve phenomena, as is St. John's Wort.

Use a safety pin or other sharp object to gently probe all the areas of skin on your foot to test for adequate sensitivity. There should be no part that you don't feel it. A 128 Hz tuning fork can test for receptivity at the extremities by hitting it and letting it vibrate at the tip of the big toe. The buzzing should be felt for about 10 seconds and should not quickly drop off (this of course depends on how hard you hit it).

The tingling could also be simply a trigger point phenomena where a micro-spasm in one muscle results in sensations elsewhere.

I say all this knowing that you, as an old hand at this, won't get nervous about all this. Of course, that line you spoke of, especially if it is the point that causes the sensation, has got to be significant.

alan k

john h on 7/19/00 at 14:17 (023564)

scott: my input is this if you have been going without tape and have recently been pushing it a bit you are now using muscles.ligiments,etc in a different manner. nerve endings may be responding to different foot positioning, etc. i would think if you continue without tape for a few more weeks your foot will settle into its new position and these sensations will abate.

JudyS on 7/20/00 at 11:25 (023609)

Scott - what I can't figure out is; how the heck did you HOLD that camcorder?

Re: holding camcorder

Scott R on 7/20/00 at 14:05 (023618)

Well, the picture shows only one hand, so obviously I held the camcorder with the other hand. What's so dificult about that? The real question should have been 'How did you press the print screen button on your computer to capture the picture while holding the camcorder with one hand and pointing to the weird spot with the other?' The answer: with my skinny elbow. It wasn't easy, especially since I was really wanting to be in bed right then, and I had to keep my underwear and electrical cords out of the picture.

JudyS on 7/20/00 at 16:18 (023630)

yeah, that's just what I meant to say!

alan k on 7/19/00 at 07:37 (023549)

Is this something that happens mainly at night? Is it a tingling that happens each and every time you touch it? How hard do you need to touch it?

I am sorry I can't make out the line you spoke of, but otherwise I think you might look into blood tests for B-12, homocystiene levels, and iron. Supplementation of high-quality vitamin E at 400 mg a day for two weeks is proven effective on night cramps and night crawly feelings, which could be merely what this is. B-6 and B-12 (B-12 sublingual) are good for nerve phenomena, as is St. John's Wort.

Use a safety pin or other sharp object to gently probe all the areas of skin on your foot to test for adequate sensitivity. There should be no part that you don't feel it. A 128 Hz tuning fork can test for receptivity at the extremities by hitting it and letting it vibrate at the tip of the big toe. The buzzing should be felt for about 10 seconds and should not quickly drop off (this of course depends on how hard you hit it).

The tingling could also be simply a trigger point phenomena where a micro-spasm in one muscle results in sensations elsewhere.

I say all this knowing that you, as an old hand at this, won't get nervous about all this. Of course, that line you spoke of, especially if it is the point that causes the sensation, has got to be significant.

alan k

john h on 7/19/00 at 14:17 (023564)

scott: my input is this if you have been going without tape and have recently been pushing it a bit you are now using muscles.ligiments,etc in a different manner. nerve endings may be responding to different foot positioning, etc. i would think if you continue without tape for a few more weeks your foot will settle into its new position and these sensations will abate.

JudyS on 7/20/00 at 11:25 (023609)

Scott - what I can't figure out is; how the heck did you HOLD that camcorder?

Scott R on 7/20/00 at 14:05 (023618)

Well, the picture shows only one hand, so obviously I held the camcorder with the other hand. What's so dificult about that? The real question should have been 'How did you press the print screen button on your computer to capture the picture while holding the camcorder with one hand and pointing to the weird spot with the other?' The answer: with my skinny elbow. It wasn't easy, especially since I was really wanting to be in bed right then, and I had to keep my underwear and electrical cords out of the picture.

JudyS on 7/20/00 at 16:18 (023630)

yeah, that's just what I meant to say!