Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

This made me so sad did you hear about this?????????

Posted by Laurie R on 7/19/00 at 19:50 (023580)

Hi to all,
My husband wanted me to read this story in the paper today (the sports ) Did you read the story on Dan O'Brien???? He is a Olympic champion decathlon ,he plans to withdraw from the U.S trials and will miss the Sydney games because he partially tore his plantar fascia .He had a MRI and it showed a 60%tear.The way it happened was he was practicing the high jump and he felt something pop in his foot.

This is what he said in the paper about the pain,he said he got a big pain killing shot and taped up his foot and ankle as tight as he could and it hurt so much he could not even take three or four steps without having to stop he said it was that painful.

This guy has worked his whole life to do this now it is all gone.How sad.I just thought you would like to hear about this.It made me very sad.

My best to all .Laurie R

Re: This made me so sad did you hear about this?????????

BJC on 7/19/00 at 20:53 (023584)

Yes, this is a very sad event for Dan. I hope it brings to light the problem of pf. Last week I was in the hospital (for a colonoscopy!), and one of the nurses was surprised to find out I had it - she did, too. She told another nurse, who said very sacasticly, 'Well, EVERYONE says they have it these days'. I didn't argue with her (you know what they were going to be doing to me soon, and I didn't want her mad!

Pauline on 7/19/00 at 21:17 (023588)

I really cry for these Olympic Athletes. They work their entire
life for a few minutes to win the Olympic Gold. In my book anyone
who achieves the right to go to the Olympic Games is a gold medal
winner. They all make me so proud to be an American. God bless
all of them. I'd give them all gold medals just for showing up.

rekha.s on 7/20/00 at 00:57 (023597)

yeah, my husband just told me about o'brien's torn fascia....I just looked it up...it must be tough..but he is doing the right thing by resting it...

Re: I know a similar story with a happier ending

Beverly on 7/20/00 at 21:58 (023667)

I know a similar story with a happier ending. I have a good friend who lives in the UK. She is a big runner/weight training type. Her personal trainer is a former Olympic athlete who had to give up the track and field due to severe PF. But his story has a happy ending. With time & recovery, he went on to train as a swimmer, and he got to go to the Olympics after all as a competitive swimmer. I think he won a medal... not sure about that, but at least he got there.

Beverly

BJC on 7/19/00 at 20:53 (023584)

Yes, this is a very sad event for Dan. I hope it brings to light the problem of pf. Last week I was in the hospital (for a colonoscopy!), and one of the nurses was surprised to find out I had it - she did, too. She told another nurse, who said very sacasticly, 'Well, EVERYONE says they have it these days'. I didn't argue with her (you know what they were going to be doing to me soon, and I didn't want her mad!

Pauline on 7/19/00 at 21:17 (023588)

I really cry for these Olympic Athletes. They work their entire
life for a few minutes to win the Olympic Gold. In my book anyone
who achieves the right to go to the Olympic Games is a gold medal
winner. They all make me so proud to be an American. God bless
all of them. I'd give them all gold medals just for showing up.

rekha.s on 7/20/00 at 00:57 (023597)

yeah, my husband just told me about o'brien's torn fascia....I just looked it up...it must be tough..but he is doing the right thing by resting it...

Re: I know a similar story with a happier ending

Beverly on 7/20/00 at 21:58 (023667)

I know a similar story with a happier ending. I have a good friend who lives in the UK. She is a big runner/weight training type. Her personal trainer is a former Olympic athlete who had to give up the track and field due to severe PF. But his story has a happy ending. With time & recovery, he went on to train as a swimmer, and he got to go to the Olympics after all as a competitive swimmer. I think he won a medal... not sure about that, but at least he got there.

Beverly