Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Deep Fascia Pain

Posted by Pauline on 7/19/00 at 21:30 (023589)

My Physical Therapist seems to think that my arch pain is deeper
than normal. The inflammation seems to be several layers down. When
he or I massage we feel lumps like rice crispies below the tendons.
Nothing seem to touch this area. I seem to be stretched so much
that it is difficult for me to feel any pull in my arches any more.
But the thickness almost jello like fluid just sticks around.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to move this thick stuff out? Can
anyone relate to my symptoms?

I am now wondering if a large shot of cortisone deep into
the bottom of my foot should be the next step. I know the dangers of
cortisone, but can't see how to reach this stuff any other way.

It seems like my foot should be cut open and a scoop used to remove
this jello like substance. Dr. Z if you are back could you comment
too.

Re: Deep Fascia Pain

KarenS on 7/19/00 at 22:48 (023595)

I too had this same problem. I went through so many different treatments to try and get rid of the inflammation. When physio did deep friction rubs I thought I would go out of my mind with the pain. Nothing seemed to help get rid of it, not even anti-inflammatories. I ended up having surgery but it is too early to tell if it helped. I wish you luck as I know the pain you are going through. Sorry I couldn't help, just relate.

Karen

Pauline on 7/20/00 at 07:34 (023601)

Karen,
How long did you deal with treatment before having the surgery?
When they went in did they scoop out the thick stuff causing the
inflammation or just cut the fascia?

KarenS on 7/20/00 at 15:49 (023628)

Pauline: I did physio for over 6 months straight every other day. They tried everything to reduce the inflammation including ice,laser,ultra sound,rolling a ball under my foot,deep friction rubs (which were very painful but said it would break it up),electrodes, accupuncture(again very painful for me),stretching a variety of ways, custom made orthotics, taping etc etc etc.

They told me they never had a case a chronic as mine but kept trying anything they could think of. I finally had surgery on June 29th of this year after barely being able to walk for a year and a half.

They opened my heel and removed the spur and did a muscle release. Right now I am in a cast till Aug 10th so I really have no idea yet how well it's worked. I know I'll have quite abit of rehab to do though. I will keep you posted or you can email me direct. What have they been doing with your foot? I know I was told it was the inflammation that causes most of the pain you feel, it's just hard to get rid of it for some. Plus my job requires me to stand all day which didn't help.

Karen

JudyS on 7/20/00 at 16:27 (023633)

Karen - your experience sounds so very much like so many of us. Will you keep us all posted on your post-surgery progress? Also, do you have a particular kind of arch like, is it quite high or is it just the opposite (overpronating..)? Best wishes for your recovery.

KarenS on 7/21/00 at 00:16 (023670)

Judy: Thanks for the best wishes! My arch is just normal, not high. I've had alot of problems with my knees before, but never with my feet. I think most of my problem stems from standing all day at work on those damn concrete floors. I always bought good supporting athletic shoes because I was on my feet for 8 hrs. It didn't matter what kind I tried, they didn't help. Just before I went off work, the chiropodist recommended new balance shoes but I didn't really get much of a chance to try them out before surgery.

I sure will keep you posted. The cast comes off in 3 more weeks and I pray I will have some kind of improvement. I only wish I found this board sooner, maybe things would have been different.

Thanks again---Karen

john h on 7/21/00 at 08:42 (023683)

as we age we develop calcium deposites throughout our body. i would guess that the small nodules you feel are calcium. i have them along both bands of fascia in both feet.

KarenS on 7/19/00 at 22:48 (023595)

I too had this same problem. I went through so many different treatments to try and get rid of the inflammation. When physio did deep friction rubs I thought I would go out of my mind with the pain. Nothing seemed to help get rid of it, not even anti-inflammatories. I ended up having surgery but it is too early to tell if it helped. I wish you luck as I know the pain you are going through. Sorry I couldn't help, just relate.

Karen

Pauline on 7/20/00 at 07:34 (023601)

Karen,
How long did you deal with treatment before having the surgery?
When they went in did they scoop out the thick stuff causing the
inflammation or just cut the fascia?

KarenS on 7/20/00 at 15:49 (023628)

Pauline: I did physio for over 6 months straight every other day. They tried everything to reduce the inflammation including ice,laser,ultra sound,rolling a ball under my foot,deep friction rubs (which were very painful but said it would break it up),electrodes, accupuncture(again very painful for me),stretching a variety of ways, custom made orthotics, taping etc etc etc.

They told me they never had a case a chronic as mine but kept trying anything they could think of. I finally had surgery on June 29th of this year after barely being able to walk for a year and a half.

They opened my heel and removed the spur and did a muscle release. Right now I am in a cast till Aug 10th so I really have no idea yet how well it's worked. I know I'll have quite abit of rehab to do though. I will keep you posted or you can email me direct. What have they been doing with your foot? I know I was told it was the inflammation that causes most of the pain you feel, it's just hard to get rid of it for some. Plus my job requires me to stand all day which didn't help.

Karen

JudyS on 7/20/00 at 16:27 (023633)

Karen - your experience sounds so very much like so many of us. Will you keep us all posted on your post-surgery progress? Also, do you have a particular kind of arch like, is it quite high or is it just the opposite (overpronating..)? Best wishes for your recovery.

KarenS on 7/21/00 at 00:16 (023670)

Judy: Thanks for the best wishes! My arch is just normal, not high. I've had alot of problems with my knees before, but never with my feet. I think most of my problem stems from standing all day at work on those damn concrete floors. I always bought good supporting athletic shoes because I was on my feet for 8 hrs. It didn't matter what kind I tried, they didn't help. Just before I went off work, the chiropodist recommended new balance shoes but I didn't really get much of a chance to try them out before surgery.

I sure will keep you posted. The cast comes off in 3 more weeks and I pray I will have some kind of improvement. I only wish I found this board sooner, maybe things would have been different.

Thanks again---Karen

john h on 7/21/00 at 08:42 (023683)

as we age we develop calcium deposites throughout our body. i would guess that the small nodules you feel are calcium. i have them along both bands of fascia in both feet.