Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cured of Plantar Fasciitis!!!

Posted by Jeff H. on 7/19/00 at 23:44 (023596)

I suppose I am one of the lucky ones who has suffered the agonizing pain caused by PF but now does not have any further problems. I can remember the days back in the early eighties when I literally had to crawl to the bathroom every morning because I could not stand up and place ANY weight on my right foot due to the intense heel pain. Later each day, I had to walk on the ball of my right foot which caused me to'hop' as I walked. This then led to lower back inflammation and sciatica inflammation since was not walking naturally I had no choice since I could place very little weight on my right foot without experiencing the severe heel pain. I had multiple cortizone injections up the heel, wax dips of my heel, anti-inflamatory drugs. I even had both my lower legs casted for over a month each time in an attempt to reduce the inflamation. No one seemed to know what the problem was so I bounced from doctor to chiropractor to surgeon to podiatrist. I went through Hell for over a year with the PF problem and lower back problems!!!

I was about to let a surgeon perform surgery on my foot in order to give me relief of my dreadful heel pain. Fortunately, my wife; who is a nurse; convinced me to see another podiatrist rather than have the risky surgery. I went to a podiatrist that had come across this PF problem once before. He prescribed rigid orthodics which gave me the needed support for my very high arches. He also helped me select a better pair of work shoes and casual shoes since the shoes I was wearing all this time were actually contributing to the PF problem. I can remember to this day him telling me that I should 'ease into wearing the orthodics by increasing the amount of wear time gradually over the next several weeks.' Once I started using the orthodics, I wore them CONSTANTLY as I could now begin to walk again with less pain. It took several months for the heel pain to fully disappear but it did. Changing jobs shortly thereafter; which then required me to NOT be on my feet all day; also significantly helped eliminate my PF problem.

The $350 cost to purchase orthodics back then (not covered by insurance) was the best investment I could have made!!! Thankfully, I was able to find the right person who was able to treat my PF problem without going the surgery route. I hope others can find the same relief as I have.

Re: Cured of Heel Pain

Bob G. on 7/20/00 at 01:09 (023598)

Congratulations!

I always wear my Birkensock arch supports, too.

Just remember, if everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something. :) BG

Re: Cured of Heel Pain

Bob G. on 7/20/00 at 01:09 (023598)

Congratulations!

I always wear my Birkensock arch supports, too.

Just remember, if everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something. :) BG