Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another enigma

Posted by ChanaW on 7/20/00 at 09:05 (023604)

OK. Here's another problem for you pain sleuths. Occasionally, maybe 3 or 4 times a year, I get very deep,pulling-type pain starting in my calf or shin and travelling up my thigh, hip and sometimes into my back and shoulder. It doesn't feel like a muscle pull just a cold traveling pain. Advil helps to relieve, but it leaves me with the compulsion to change positions frequently until the pain catches up to the new position. I don't know whether this is related to the PF or some other strange ailment. Anyone else experience this or have any idea what the cause is? Oh - I also tend to get it more when I'm ovulating. --Chana

Re: Of interest to women - probably not your average male

wendyn on 7/20/00 at 10:36 (023607)

ChanaW there is a pain some women get during ovulation that's referred to as 'middle pain' or a German name 'middleshmertz' (unsure of spelling). It can cause mild to moderate pain that can radiate all the way up your thigh (referred pain) to your shoulder. It usually lasts from 24 - 72 hours. I have lived with this my whole life. It's painful but not serious - ensure you're doctor has ruled out ovarian cysts and have it checked out if it's accompanied by bleeding. It will go away if you take birth control pilss because it stops ovulation.

I've never researched it much, but the pain is caused by the egg breaking away from the ovary and causing some type of internal bleeding - sounds a lot worse than it is.

Like I said, it is painful but not related to your feet.

john h on 7/20/00 at 17:48 (023644)

wendy: you should be awarded an honorary PHD for coming up with 'middleschmertz'!!!! guys have a monthly pain also. i do not know the german name but in english it is called 'nagawife'!

wendyn on 7/20/00 at 21:34 (023664)

Cute John....at least your wife only pains you on a monthly basis? One day she's going to read your posts and kick your sorry butt around the block a few times....

Have a nice evening.

:)

JudyS on 7/20/00 at 21:51 (023666)

hmmm wendy.......she may have to stand in line.....

Nancy S. on 7/20/00 at 22:09 (023668)

Actually, I think John believes she already does that. John, maybe one of you needs a new hobby!

john h on 7/21/00 at 08:34 (023680)

fortunately for me my wife is not very much interested in computers.

Re: But seriously, folks

ChanaW on 7/21/00 at 10:16 (023692)

Wendy, I was thinking about what you posted, (and laughing at what everyone else posted...) At first I thought you pegged it, but after reading about mittleshmerz (no comments please) I've decided its probably not that. It can last for up to 5 days and can move from one side to the other in the same cycle. Thanks for your input. Anybody else have any guesses (John you can sit this one out)

Cindy F on 7/22/00 at 18:26 (023743)

Chana , you might want to rule out sciatica.Good luck.

wendyn on 7/20/00 at 10:36 (023607)

ChanaW there is a pain some women get during ovulation that's referred to as 'middle pain' or a German name 'middleshmertz' (unsure of spelling). It can cause mild to moderate pain that can radiate all the way up your thigh (referred pain) to your shoulder. It usually lasts from 24 - 72 hours. I have lived with this my whole life. It's painful but not serious - ensure you're doctor has ruled out ovarian cysts and have it checked out if it's accompanied by bleeding. It will go away if you take birth control pilss because it stops ovulation.

I've never researched it much, but the pain is caused by the egg breaking away from the ovary and causing some type of internal bleeding - sounds a lot worse than it is.

Like I said, it is painful but not related to your feet.

john h on 7/20/00 at 17:48 (023644)

wendy: you should be awarded an honorary PHD for coming up with 'middleschmertz'!!!! guys have a monthly pain also. i do not know the german name but in english it is called 'nagawife'!

wendyn on 7/20/00 at 21:34 (023664)

Cute John....at least your wife only pains you on a monthly basis? One day she's going to read your posts and kick your sorry butt around the block a few times....

Have a nice evening.

:)

JudyS on 7/20/00 at 21:51 (023666)

hmmm wendy.......she may have to stand in line.....

Nancy S. on 7/20/00 at 22:09 (023668)

Actually, I think John believes she already does that. John, maybe one of you needs a new hobby!

john h on 7/21/00 at 08:34 (023680)

fortunately for me my wife is not very much interested in computers.

ChanaW on 7/21/00 at 10:16 (023692)

Wendy, I was thinking about what you posted, (and laughing at what everyone else posted...) At first I thought you pegged it, but after reading about mittleshmerz (no comments please) I've decided its probably not that. It can last for up to 5 days and can move from one side to the other in the same cycle. Thanks for your input. Anybody else have any guesses (John you can sit this one out)

Cindy F on 7/22/00 at 18:26 (023743)

Chana , you might want to rule out sciatica.Good luck.