Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new shoes.........

Posted by JudyS on 7/20/00 at 11:48 (023610)

remember when you were a kid and getting new shoes (just before the first day of school every year......) was a HUGE deal? That's how I felt yesterday! I took my son up to San Luis Obispo to help him get an apartment for the Fall Quarter and decided to shop for shoes in BobG's spot - Takken's. I'm sure there are plenty of shoes in San Diego but I think Takken's has a very good, all-around selection. I suppose Takken's likes me, too, now! I bought two pair and thought very seriously about a third but the mental budget monster finally screamed enough obscenities at me to get me to decide to wait! Isn't it amazing how easy it has become to drop a hundred bucks on a single pair of shoes! Anyway, Nancy, I did buy the ones I was telling you about........they're a pair of clogs by Josef Seibel. The soles are slightly wedged and flexible while the uppers, of brushed suede, feel like kid gloves wrapped around my tootsies! I also bought some Mephisto 'Helens' - they're a very cute black-strap casual thing - even the two 19-year-old's with me said they were AOK!They have a suede-covered cork bed over a rubber sole but, unlike the Birk, the heel is slightly higher than the toe. I looked at some Danskos, which a lot of you seem to like, but the soles seemed too rigid to me. The third pair that I didn't buy were some Ecco Sof-sole - they were absolute heaven - really soft and acommodated my orthotics (!) well but I decided they'd be purchased later for winter. The reason I stopped using my Birks as other than first-thing-out-of-bed-in-the-AM's was because I felt that they were contributing to that top-of-the-foot pain I was mentioning last week. You might recall that the ones I have don't have a back strap and I think I was keeping that whole muscle on the top rigid in a response to feeling like they were loose or something. Which they weren't but oh well! I've also come to feel that the Birks don't have as much of a wedge as I'd like - they're too flat. But the other thing I've done to try to nail down the source of that top pain was to analyze my stride. I've discovered, frankly, that I've been holding that muscle rigid subconsciously - perhaps as a 2-year-old response to PF, who knows. So I've been spending time really concentrating on my stride no matter where I'm walking. Anyway, I go on and on here! The top-of-the-foot pain is gone. Yippee!

Re: new shoes.........Want more info on the Siebels

Beverly on 7/20/00 at 19:07 (023653)

Judy,

I saw your post titled, 'New Shoes,' and I lit up like a Christmas Tree! Not only do I relish every opportunity to search for the 'eternal shoe;' I can't resist reading shoe posts!

I sit with baited breath wondering how you will find the Joesph Siebels. How do they feel now? I say that because I bought some earlier this summer... in men's sandals. They had the most comfortable tops I've felt yet. They had velcro straps, and as you said, the leather was so soft it was heavenly. Unfortunately, the sandals just were not firm enough in the shank... not enough support and increased my heel pain. After wearing them around the house briefly for a day or two, I had to send them back. So, I am very eager to know more about your clogs. What is the footbed made of? Do they bend at the arch? (That was the problem with the sandal... too bendable.) What is the style name?
I am eager to know how they work.

I have Ecco Cosmo Sandals.(velcro straps) They are a dream for the tops of my feet, and in terms of support, fine for just around the house. But so far, my feet are not well enough to wear them about town... not enough support.

I have decided that the perfect shoe would have a birk footbed and a super soft Joseph Siebel top part with velcro straps.

Keep us posted on those shoes,
Beverly

JudyS on 7/20/00 at 20:07 (023658)

Hi Beverly - glad to hear from you. I, too, was wondering about your PT. I got those Seibels yesterday and haven't tried wearing them yet. Because they're a close-toed clog, I'll probably not wear them much till the weather cools off. Their footbed is perforated leather over........something! The sole is rubber and is pretty flexible at the ball of the foot - not the arch. They come in brown or black leather and the 'stone' nubuck that I bought. You'll spot some pics of them at a couple of on-line stores if you do a search for 'Seibel' The border 'band', by the way, goes well below the ankle bone so shouldn't cause any rubbing problems. Today I wore the Mephistos around for awhile. But my foot is pretty sore so I didn't really want to wear anything. The Mephistos, like Birks, will take some breaking in time. I did discover that they're arch is a bit higher than the Birks and I like that because it snugs up well to my own high arch.

Beverly on 7/20/00 at 19:07 (023653)

Judy,

I saw your post titled, 'New Shoes,' and I lit up like a Christmas Tree! Not only do I relish every opportunity to search for the 'eternal shoe;' I can't resist reading shoe posts!

I sit with baited breath wondering how you will find the Joesph Siebels. How do they feel now? I say that because I bought some earlier this summer... in men's sandals. They had the most comfortable tops I've felt yet. They had velcro straps, and as you said, the leather was so soft it was heavenly. Unfortunately, the sandals just were not firm enough in the shank... not enough support and increased my heel pain. After wearing them around the house briefly for a day or two, I had to send them back. So, I am very eager to know more about your clogs. What is the footbed made of? Do they bend at the arch? (That was the problem with the sandal... too bendable.) What is the style name?
I am eager to know how they work.

I have Ecco Cosmo Sandals.(velcro straps) They are a dream for the tops of my feet, and in terms of support, fine for just around the house. But so far, my feet are not well enough to wear them about town... not enough support.

I have decided that the perfect shoe would have a birk footbed and a super soft Joseph Siebel top part with velcro straps.

Keep us posted on those shoes,
Beverly

JudyS on 7/20/00 at 20:07 (023658)

Hi Beverly - glad to hear from you. I, too, was wondering about your PT. I got those Seibels yesterday and haven't tried wearing them yet. Because they're a close-toed clog, I'll probably not wear them much till the weather cools off. Their footbed is perforated leather over........something! The sole is rubber and is pretty flexible at the ball of the foot - not the arch. They come in brown or black leather and the 'stone' nubuck that I bought. You'll spot some pics of them at a couple of on-line stores if you do a search for 'Seibel' The border 'band', by the way, goes well below the ankle bone so shouldn't cause any rubbing problems. Today I wore the Mephistos around for awhile. But my foot is pretty sore so I didn't really want to wear anything. The Mephistos, like Birks, will take some breaking in time. I did discover that they're arch is a bit higher than the Birks and I like that because it snugs up well to my own high arch.