Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

movement and healing?

Posted by JudyS on 7/20/00 at 11:55 (023611)

I wanted to share my week's experience with you because we've been talking about keeping at least some foot activity in our lives.....
On Sunday I played ball and went to two more ball games of friends. On Monday I had almost no pain. I'd also reincorporated a 3 or 4-a-day stretching and massage regime. I also reintroduced my orthotics - but this time just an hour at a time. On Tuesday I had no pain while driving for 6 hours up to SLO....and I also didn't stretch or massage or move. On Wednesday I walked around my son's college for about an hour and had MUCH soreness (no activity the day before.....). Then I sat in the car, no activity, for the 6-hour drive home. I also failed to massage and stretch on Wednesday (yesterday). Today, Thursday, I am totally sore all over again! To me this week indicates that I must have at least some movement and stretching a few times throughout the day. Gotta keep it loose, right?
I'm remembering, too, that a year ago my isolated heel pain had me crawling from room to nowhere........at least now I can get around for an hour or two. Does this mean that a year from now it'll be gone?

Re: movement and healing?

Rock on 7/20/00 at 13:14 (023617)

JudyS,

I noticed the same pattern, bad PF do NOT follow high activity days (i.e. 120+ mile bike rides), but DO follow low activity days like being at the office !

I think it is obvious that rather than rest, one needs the 'proper' activities and stretching. It sure is hard to figure out what the 'proper' activities and stretching is because we are all so different.

Rock.

Steve P on 7/20/00 at 14:27 (023621)

Rock & Judy --- I agree. I've experienced the same thing. There is a happy medium that we're all striving for. I am still following the '10 minute rule' that my physical therapist suggested. I try to be on my feet no more than 10 minutes out of each hour. It's just a rule of thumb; I never time it with a watch. But it helps me keep from doing too much too soon. And, since I am improving, I plan to stay with this approach to the best of my ability until I'm pain free.

Nancy S. on 7/20/00 at 15:27 (023625)

Steve, if you continue to improve, your ten-minute approach might tell me how I ended up with achilles tendonitis. I rested a lot for 3 months in the winter, which did the PF a world of good. But then when I tried to resume some activity, I kept falling back (not literally!), and had to conclude I was trying to do too much too soon. I would be on my feet for an hour, and then rest -- kind of backwards from how you're doing it. It seemed so little to me at the time, I was frustrated and had bad cabin fever. But your physical therapist's advice would have had me getting back on my feet much more gradually, which now makes sense to me. I still struggle each day, trying to figure out how much to use them and how much to rest them. . . . --Nancy

JudyS on 7/20/00 at 16:22 (023631)

Steve I like that 10-minute rule. It makes lots of sense especially if one is in the highest throes of discomfort. My rule has basically been to 'do my mobile thing until the soreness barely starts, then spend at least the same amount of time off it'. Along with at least some mobility comes at least some stretching. I can't believe how much I'm suffering today seemingly as a result of being immobile yesterday. On the other hand, my feet had to do brake pedal/gas pedal stop and go for over an hour through Santa Monica at 7:00 PM last nite - THAT was awful!

Rock on 7/20/00 at 13:14 (023617)

JudyS,

I noticed the same pattern, bad PF do NOT follow high activity days (i.e. 120+ mile bike rides), but DO follow low activity days like being at the office !

I think it is obvious that rather than rest, one needs the 'proper' activities and stretching. It sure is hard to figure out what the 'proper' activities and stretching is because we are all so different.

Rock.

Steve P on 7/20/00 at 14:27 (023621)

Rock & Judy --- I agree. I've experienced the same thing. There is a happy medium that we're all striving for. I am still following the '10 minute rule' that my physical therapist suggested. I try to be on my feet no more than 10 minutes out of each hour. It's just a rule of thumb; I never time it with a watch. But it helps me keep from doing too much too soon. And, since I am improving, I plan to stay with this approach to the best of my ability until I'm pain free.

Nancy S. on 7/20/00 at 15:27 (023625)

Steve, if you continue to improve, your ten-minute approach might tell me how I ended up with achilles tendonitis. I rested a lot for 3 months in the winter, which did the PF a world of good. But then when I tried to resume some activity, I kept falling back (not literally!), and had to conclude I was trying to do too much too soon. I would be on my feet for an hour, and then rest -- kind of backwards from how you're doing it. It seemed so little to me at the time, I was frustrated and had bad cabin fever. But your physical therapist's advice would have had me getting back on my feet much more gradually, which now makes sense to me. I still struggle each day, trying to figure out how much to use them and how much to rest them. . . . --Nancy

JudyS on 7/20/00 at 16:22 (023631)

Steve I like that 10-minute rule. It makes lots of sense especially if one is in the highest throes of discomfort. My rule has basically been to 'do my mobile thing until the soreness barely starts, then spend at least the same amount of time off it'. Along with at least some mobility comes at least some stretching. I can't believe how much I'm suffering today seemingly as a result of being immobile yesterday. On the other hand, my feet had to do brake pedal/gas pedal stop and go for over an hour through Santa Monica at 7:00 PM last nite - THAT was awful!