Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bad circulation in feet?

Posted by Irene on 7/20/00 at 12:11 (023613)

Hi all,
Like a number of you, I have dull aching pain across the entire arch, not worse in the morning, which has gotten progressively worse over the years. The methods discussed on this site have not helped me. Today while searching the net I came across this on the Mayo Clinic site:

'Pain due to poor circulation always occurs beyond the obstructed area of an artery. Hip,
buttock and calf pain are most common. Sometimes the location of obstruction leads to pain
in the arch of your foot. '

Any thoughts?
IreneM

Re: Bad circulation in feet?

wendyn on 7/20/00 at 12:35 (023615)

Check the circulation in your feet - push down on one of your toes or another spot on your feet and watch how long it takes the white spot to disappear (this is called capillary refill). It should take less than 3 seconds (I think that's the normal standard). Sometimes mine take a lot longer depending on how hot or cold my feet are. I know that I have lower circulation in my feet - particularly the right. I just checked and while sitting in an office - it takes 7 seconds today for that spot to disappear. After a hot tub - the spot disappears almost immediately. Check at different times of the day and see how it changes.

Beverly on 7/20/00 at 18:56 (023651)

I would guess that I too have bad circulation in my feet. I say that because my feet stay cold alot, and if I sit at my computer for more than an hour, my calves ache. (My calf ache solution in the past was to walk around the block every hour, but now with PF, I just walk around the house on the carpet a few times.) It is not as bad since discovering I have low thyroid and getting on meds for that. I would say it reduced my 'cold' feet by 50% in terms of 'coldness.'

Beverly

Theresa R on 7/21/00 at 09:23 (023686)

I suspected I had poor circulation too, but when I went to the Podiatrist I asked her if poor circulation was a factor - she said she didn't think I had poor circulation in my feet because there wouldn't be hair on them. You could check that...

JudyS on 7/21/00 at 09:38 (023687)

Holy Cow! That means that I have the VERY BEST circulation in my tootsies that one could ask for!

wendyn on 7/21/00 at 10:02 (023690)

That made me laugh. I have bad circulation - and when I get my legs waxed, I get my feet and toes waxed too. Some hairy European in my background.........

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/23/00 at 01:39 (023755)

I still remember the picture in a medical textbook with hair on the toes and the rest of the foot had gangrene.!!!!. You can even have strong foot pulses and poor circulation. This is very common is Diabetics.

john a on 7/24/00 at 09:05 (023805)

So how *do* you properly diagnose 'poor circulation' in the feet? (someone mentioned the pressure / resanguination period, which seems like it might be useful) Or is poor circulation just another medical myth to get people to fork over hard-earned money to cure nonexistent conditions.

wendyn on 7/20/00 at 12:35 (023615)

Check the circulation in your feet - push down on one of your toes or another spot on your feet and watch how long it takes the white spot to disappear (this is called capillary refill). It should take less than 3 seconds (I think that's the normal standard). Sometimes mine take a lot longer depending on how hot or cold my feet are. I know that I have lower circulation in my feet - particularly the right. I just checked and while sitting in an office - it takes 7 seconds today for that spot to disappear. After a hot tub - the spot disappears almost immediately. Check at different times of the day and see how it changes.

Beverly on 7/20/00 at 18:56 (023651)

I would guess that I too have bad circulation in my feet. I say that because my feet stay cold alot, and if I sit at my computer for more than an hour, my calves ache. (My calf ache solution in the past was to walk around the block every hour, but now with PF, I just walk around the house on the carpet a few times.) It is not as bad since discovering I have low thyroid and getting on meds for that. I would say it reduced my 'cold' feet by 50% in terms of 'coldness.'

Beverly

Theresa R on 7/21/00 at 09:23 (023686)

I suspected I had poor circulation too, but when I went to the Podiatrist I asked her if poor circulation was a factor - she said she didn't think I had poor circulation in my feet because there wouldn't be hair on them. You could check that...

JudyS on 7/21/00 at 09:38 (023687)

Holy Cow! That means that I have the VERY BEST circulation in my tootsies that one could ask for!

wendyn on 7/21/00 at 10:02 (023690)

That made me laugh. I have bad circulation - and when I get my legs waxed, I get my feet and toes waxed too. Some hairy European in my background.........

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/23/00 at 01:39 (023755)

I still remember the picture in a medical textbook with hair on the toes and the rest of the foot had gangrene.!!!!. You can even have strong foot pulses and poor circulation. This is very common is Diabetics.

john a on 7/24/00 at 09:05 (023805)

So how *do* you properly diagnose 'poor circulation' in the feet? (someone mentioned the pressure / resanguination period, which seems like it might be useful) Or is poor circulation just another medical myth to get people to fork over hard-earned money to cure nonexistent conditions.