Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Earth to Beverly . . .

Posted by FNancy S. on 7/20/00 at 17:34 (023641)

I see I'm typing really well today, and too lazy to correct.
Beverly, how are you doing? Have you had your second PT appt., and how did it go?
I think I forgot to post this 'crucial' info. on the board.
The night before my first PT appt., I had a vivid dream in which I was playing with two cloth dolls. (Yup, I'm not a complete grown-up.) And the dolls' legs kept falling off! I'd take their legs and feet and try to jam them up under their clothes, but they wouldn't stay there. They kept falling off. I would say this has something to do with hope and fear and fragility and determination, wouldn't you?
--Nancy

Re: Earth to Beverly . . .

JudyS on 7/20/00 at 17:39 (023642)

Actually, I think those were the same dolls my brothers kept tearing apart at my expense eons ago - you're in my brain again, Nancy!

Beverly on 7/20/00 at 18:48 (023649)

Nancy,

Yes, I had the second PT session yesterday. My PT said I was stretching with a 'slightly' better flex than in the first session. At home, I am doing my regimen 1x per day. I don't think I can take 2x per day yet, but that is my goal. I still just do 5 stretches per exercise. My foot hurts as much as it ever did, but I am happy to report that I am doing the stretches with more ease. I still only hold to the point of stretch or for a few seconds, depending upon what it is. This morning, I was able to do the ankle circles on both my left and right foot. Also, the PT said, she was able to massage a bit deeper. Ultrasound is still tender for me... can't take much pressure. I start the 'i' thing tomorrow. I'm glad to hear you did not find it painful, and it gave relief.

So, overall, I am very happy about the stretching. I am handling it far better than I thought I would. She says it is too soon to add the pool therapy. She does not want to overdo me, but perhaps in another week or two.

The video my orthopedic surgeon gave me on PF says that it takes several weeks before any of the benefits of stretching can be felt. I guess I can't expect to feel better after just two sessions, but at least I'm able to do the stretches without pain... an ache but not pain. This is because my PT has been sensitive to not trying to get me to stretch longer than a second or two on each stretch.

My only real dissappointment is in shoeland. My wonderful Anywears clogs that I praised just last week rubbed my ankle bone the wrong way. I am extremely frustrated because they are the most comfortable shoes I have worn for the heel and arch pain relief... so cushy... even better than my Birks... like walking on air. But by yesterday I had a blister and a very sore place on my ankle bone... left foot. It hurts all the way deep in the bone... deeper than the blister. I guess the clog hit me the wrong way. It rubbed such a sore spot that now the only two shoes I can stand to wear are my Birk Arizona's and Ecco Cosmo sandals. I don't think it is a complete loss. I think after my foot calms down, I will try them with thick socks and moleskin just in the kitchen. I think they will be perfect for working on the tile floor in my kitchen... doing dishes, ect. But I doubt I will be able to handle any walking about town in them due to friction rubbing against that bone. At least they weren't expensive.

Next time before I report shoeland wonders, I will wear them for a couple of weeks.

I hope you have more pleasant dreams.

Keep me posted,
Beverly

Nancy S. on 7/21/00 at 06:12 (023676)

I'm in your brain again, Judy? I must enjoy being there! Tell your brothers I don't approve of what they did to those dolls in my dream. But I'm glad to know who is responsible. --Nancy

Nancy S. on 7/21/00 at 10:58 (023696)

Hi Beverly, I think if you are already a bit more flexible from even minimal stretching that that has got to be a good sign, so congratulations to you! It's not exactly fun to be doing this stuff, but I am finding it's getting a bit easier -- at least, I'm doing everything so gently that I don't feel I'm preparing for a setback. This is a big relief and helps keep me relaxed while I do it.
I notice my right foot seems definitely improved since my appt. on Wed., and the therapist thought so today too. I'm having less pain in it and it's less swollen.
The left foot was not good today, though. She did massage BEFORE the iontophoresis today, and WOW, did she hit an extra sore area (behind ankle). So today on that foot the ion. treatment was done right there.
I was thrilled today, when she concentrated during massage on my spur area, that I felt virtually no pain at The Spot. !!! I don't think I've dared press there since the pod sent me through the ceiling last July. So I continue to feel very optimistic about my PF improvement.
The AT is stubborn, but since my right foot seems to be responding some, I think I'll be optimistic about that too.
She told me today that I should not stay on my feet when I feel more pain -- get right off them, and ice. Then rest a bit and get up and back on them. She said to walk around, ice, rest, walk around, ice, rest, as many times as I have to get through the day and hopefully get some work done -- without allowing everything to get painful and more swollen.
I think this means I have to tune in even more, like every second. Not easy to do when you're dying to get on a roll and keep going and try to convince yourself that 'No, no, that's just a little twinge, no pain.'
Sorry about your shoe misfortunes . . .
I hope you feel better from the iontophoresis today.
--Nancy

Nancy S. on 7/21/00 at 15:19 (023707)

Hi all, I'm just tacking this on here so as not to start a non-foot-pain thread on Scott's board. Does anyone know of a Parkinson's disease message board on the order of this one? My 79-year-old Dad, who lives near us but alone in an apartment, has just been diagnosed with PD. Symptoms were building . . . but it's still a shock. I've been searching the Net and can't find a message board. I need guidance on what to do for him and what to expect. (We will be taking him in to live with us when it reaches that point.) If anyone knows of a forum, I'd really appreciate the info.; otherwise no need to respond. Thanks so much --Nancy

JudyS on 7/20/00 at 17:39 (023642)

Actually, I think those were the same dolls my brothers kept tearing apart at my expense eons ago - you're in my brain again, Nancy!

Beverly on 7/20/00 at 18:48 (023649)

Nancy,

Yes, I had the second PT session yesterday. My PT said I was stretching with a 'slightly' better flex than in the first session. At home, I am doing my regimen 1x per day. I don't think I can take 2x per day yet, but that is my goal. I still just do 5 stretches per exercise. My foot hurts as much as it ever did, but I am happy to report that I am doing the stretches with more ease. I still only hold to the point of stretch or for a few seconds, depending upon what it is. This morning, I was able to do the ankle circles on both my left and right foot. Also, the PT said, she was able to massage a bit deeper. Ultrasound is still tender for me... can't take much pressure. I start the 'i' thing tomorrow. I'm glad to hear you did not find it painful, and it gave relief.

So, overall, I am very happy about the stretching. I am handling it far better than I thought I would. She says it is too soon to add the pool therapy. She does not want to overdo me, but perhaps in another week or two.

The video my orthopedic surgeon gave me on PF says that it takes several weeks before any of the benefits of stretching can be felt. I guess I can't expect to feel better after just two sessions, but at least I'm able to do the stretches without pain... an ache but not pain. This is because my PT has been sensitive to not trying to get me to stretch longer than a second or two on each stretch.

My only real dissappointment is in shoeland. My wonderful Anywears clogs that I praised just last week rubbed my ankle bone the wrong way. I am extremely frustrated because they are the most comfortable shoes I have worn for the heel and arch pain relief... so cushy... even better than my Birks... like walking on air. But by yesterday I had a blister and a very sore place on my ankle bone... left foot. It hurts all the way deep in the bone... deeper than the blister. I guess the clog hit me the wrong way. It rubbed such a sore spot that now the only two shoes I can stand to wear are my Birk Arizona's and Ecco Cosmo sandals. I don't think it is a complete loss. I think after my foot calms down, I will try them with thick socks and moleskin just in the kitchen. I think they will be perfect for working on the tile floor in my kitchen... doing dishes, ect. But I doubt I will be able to handle any walking about town in them due to friction rubbing against that bone. At least they weren't expensive.

Next time before I report shoeland wonders, I will wear them for a couple of weeks.

I hope you have more pleasant dreams.

Keep me posted,
Beverly

Nancy S. on 7/21/00 at 06:12 (023676)

I'm in your brain again, Judy? I must enjoy being there! Tell your brothers I don't approve of what they did to those dolls in my dream. But I'm glad to know who is responsible. --Nancy

Nancy S. on 7/21/00 at 10:58 (023696)

Hi Beverly, I think if you are already a bit more flexible from even minimal stretching that that has got to be a good sign, so congratulations to you! It's not exactly fun to be doing this stuff, but I am finding it's getting a bit easier -- at least, I'm doing everything so gently that I don't feel I'm preparing for a setback. This is a big relief and helps keep me relaxed while I do it.
I notice my right foot seems definitely improved since my appt. on Wed., and the therapist thought so today too. I'm having less pain in it and it's less swollen.
The left foot was not good today, though. She did massage BEFORE the iontophoresis today, and WOW, did she hit an extra sore area (behind ankle). So today on that foot the ion. treatment was done right there.
I was thrilled today, when she concentrated during massage on my spur area, that I felt virtually no pain at The Spot. !!! I don't think I've dared press there since the pod sent me through the ceiling last July. So I continue to feel very optimistic about my PF improvement.
The AT is stubborn, but since my right foot seems to be responding some, I think I'll be optimistic about that too.
She told me today that I should not stay on my feet when I feel more pain -- get right off them, and ice. Then rest a bit and get up and back on them. She said to walk around, ice, rest, walk around, ice, rest, as many times as I have to get through the day and hopefully get some work done -- without allowing everything to get painful and more swollen.
I think this means I have to tune in even more, like every second. Not easy to do when you're dying to get on a roll and keep going and try to convince yourself that 'No, no, that's just a little twinge, no pain.'
Sorry about your shoe misfortunes . . .
I hope you feel better from the iontophoresis today.
--Nancy

Nancy S. on 7/21/00 at 15:19 (023707)

Hi all, I'm just tacking this on here so as not to start a non-foot-pain thread on Scott's board. Does anyone know of a Parkinson's disease message board on the order of this one? My 79-year-old Dad, who lives near us but alone in an apartment, has just been diagnosed with PD. Symptoms were building . . . but it's still a shock. I've been searching the Net and can't find a message board. I need guidance on what to do for him and what to expect. (We will be taking him in to live with us when it reaches that point.) If anyone knows of a forum, I'd really appreciate the info.; otherwise no need to respond. Thanks so much --Nancy