Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PT/ionpheresis was so good today, but then I did too much... ouch!

Posted by Beverly on 7/21/00 at 20:48 (023719)

You would think I would learn, but I did something incredibly stupid today.

All week, I've felt that PT has helped me. At no point was I pain free, but I felt better, and I was getting around better too. For instance, over a two day period this week, I cleaned the bathroom and swept, vacumed, and mopped other parts of the house... all things I had not done in six weeks. I was holding up pretty well... discomfort/mild pain but so much better than before.

Then, today, I had ionphresis for the first time. (Plus, I had my third installment of ultrasound and PT massage to foot.) I didn't notice any benefits at first, but within about an hour, my feet felt better. I should have just gone home. But the health food store beckoned... For months I have just scooted in there, picked up the must have's, and gotten out to my truck within about fifteen minutes.
It was just so tempting to linger and look and shop ... almost like normal. I think I was in there about 45 minutes. By the time I got to the checkout line, I had to get a chair and sit down. My left foot and ankle were killing me... right foot not so bad. I limped to my truck ... went home, and put my feet back on ice.

I am mad at myself for not knowing when to quit. But I am taking it easy this weekend. I am not leaving the house except to get a takeout dinner so I don't have to cook. I am hoping that eases my setback.

Well, I am encouraged about the PT. I'll be smarter with the next set of treatments next week.

Beverly

Re: PT/ionpheresis was so good today, but then I did too much... ouch!

Lori E. on 7/21/00 at 21:25 (023721)

Beverly,
I have done that too many times to count! Usually it's the drug store, and then I pop over to the grocery while I am there. I have a 15 min. - one store rule now. I still break it from time to time,( I just HAD to go to Target with my sister yesterday.) But for the most part I try to stick with it, and it does help. I am now thinking of wearing my watch again and setting the alarm to tell me when to get out of there. I hope that after some rest(don't forget to ice!) you will be feeling better.
The worse part of PF is that the healing process seems to go in fits and starts and you may start to feel better and then overdo it. I am still struggling with this, but I am getting better slowly.

Steve P on 7/22/00 at 14:48 (023739)

Yep, I think we can all relate! It takes real discipline & good planning to really minimize time on one's feet. The other day I went into K Mart for one thing, hoping to be on my feet no more than 10 minutes (total time away from the car). But there was only one cash register open & I had to stand in line over 10 minutes, making the total time about 20. I felt like hollering to everyone in line ahead of me, 'Hey, folks! I have BAD FEET & this is killing me! Would you all mind stepping aside?'
(But, of course, I didn't!)
Like all of you, I look forward to the day when 10 minutes in line will once again be no big deal.

Lori E. on 7/21/00 at 21:25 (023721)

Beverly,
I have done that too many times to count! Usually it's the drug store, and then I pop over to the grocery while I am there. I have a 15 min. - one store rule now. I still break it from time to time,( I just HAD to go to Target with my sister yesterday.) But for the most part I try to stick with it, and it does help. I am now thinking of wearing my watch again and setting the alarm to tell me when to get out of there. I hope that after some rest(don't forget to ice!) you will be feeling better.
The worse part of PF is that the healing process seems to go in fits and starts and you may start to feel better and then overdo it. I am still struggling with this, but I am getting better slowly.

Steve P on 7/22/00 at 14:48 (023739)

Yep, I think we can all relate! It takes real discipline & good planning to really minimize time on one's feet. The other day I went into K Mart for one thing, hoping to be on my feet no more than 10 minutes (total time away from the car). But there was only one cash register open & I had to stand in line over 10 minutes, making the total time about 20. I felt like hollering to everyone in line ahead of me, 'Hey, folks! I have BAD FEET & this is killing me! Would you all mind stepping aside?'
(But, of course, I didn't!)
Like all of you, I look forward to the day when 10 minutes in line will once again be no big deal.