Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Birks

Posted by Betsy P on 7/23/00 at 10:47 (023760)

I had been reading about how birks had helped some of you so I bought myself a pair. I know about the 'breaking in time' but just curious about what's breaking in: my shoes or my feet. I have FLAT feet and the arch is bothering me. In fact, I think the arch is actually taking my mind of my heel pain! A cure for PF! Anyway, the birks are very comfortable otherwise, just wondering if the arch thing will work itself out in time.

Re: New Birks

wendyn on 7/23/00 at 10:55 (023761)

I don't know what the recommended break in schedule is - but you may want to treat them like an orthotic. One half hour to an hour the first day, and then work up in half hour to one hour increments per day as your feet permit. Don't push through a lot of pain. True, many of us couldn't live without Birks - but there are people who can't wear them at all.

alan k on 7/23/00 at 11:08 (023762)

You might try moistening the footbeds around the arch only (perhaps wipe the arch with a cloth), as this makes them more pliable, or for those with high arches like me, bends them out of shape.

alan k

Kathy on 7/23/00 at 19:47 (023769)

I to have flat feet and have had trouble with the Birks I bought, they are the papillos, went and tried on the arizona and found the arch to be about the same, sales clerk said the two styles are very similar. I have tried to gradually break them in but have found them to uncomfortable for even 15 minutes. I also could not wear my orthotics, when I asked Pod. about redoing them he said that he could never get them right because I had a positive bone scan. If there is a type of birk for flat feet please let me know.

Pauline on 7/23/00 at 22:02 (023778)

Please understand that some of us cannot wear the Birks. I have
tried on several different kinds and the arches are too high for
me and cause a lot of pain. I've stayed with my old old running shoes until recently. Some of my inflammation has gone down and
I was able to purchase Clarks Sunshell 2. It's like a clog only
with straps. Early on I couldn't even where any other shoe. I was
surprised to be able to wear these Clarks. You may just have too
much inflammation yet. Try different brands.

wendyn on 7/23/00 at 10:55 (023761)

I don't know what the recommended break in schedule is - but you may want to treat them like an orthotic. One half hour to an hour the first day, and then work up in half hour to one hour increments per day as your feet permit. Don't push through a lot of pain. True, many of us couldn't live without Birks - but there are people who can't wear them at all.

alan k on 7/23/00 at 11:08 (023762)

You might try moistening the footbeds around the arch only (perhaps wipe the arch with a cloth), as this makes them more pliable, or for those with high arches like me, bends them out of shape.

alan k

Kathy on 7/23/00 at 19:47 (023769)

I to have flat feet and have had trouble with the Birks I bought, they are the papillos, went and tried on the arizona and found the arch to be about the same, sales clerk said the two styles are very similar. I have tried to gradually break them in but have found them to uncomfortable for even 15 minutes. I also could not wear my orthotics, when I asked Pod. about redoing them he said that he could never get them right because I had a positive bone scan. If there is a type of birk for flat feet please let me know.

Pauline on 7/23/00 at 22:02 (023778)

Please understand that some of us cannot wear the Birks. I have
tried on several different kinds and the arches are too high for
me and cause a lot of pain. I've stayed with my old old running shoes until recently. Some of my inflammation has gone down and
I was able to purchase Clarks Sunshell 2. It's like a clog only
with straps. Early on I couldn't even where any other shoe. I was
surprised to be able to wear these Clarks. You may just have too
much inflammation yet. Try different brands.