Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First time in two years I do not feel PF pain!!! YAHOOOO!!! (but still haven't walked on the foot yet - ut ohhh)

Posted by Sharie on 7/23/00 at 18:30 (023766)

I cannot believe the relief of that awful PF heel/foot pain that I endured for two years. This is awesome. I am SO glad I had surgery..(week and a half ago). Okay, now that I have spoken so profoundly (ah hem) I should tell you I have yet to step my foot on the floor. Okay what is that going to be like? I would love to hear from some of you about how it feels walking on your foot after you have rehab'd and take your first steps. What can I expect? Come on, help me here... Here I have been feeling like such a brave soul, I have a feeling I have yet to learn something!!

You are all so wonderful and supportive, THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE!!!
Sharie in San Diego, Calif.

Re: First time in two years I do not feel PF pain!!! YAHOOOO!!! (but still haven't walked on the foot yet - ut ohhh)

Laurie R on 7/23/00 at 20:05 (023772)

Hi Sharie,
First of all I love your story's......You had me laughing out loud about your neighbor ,what a fool to tell you it would be better if you just got up and walked.You are so right people do not understand what PF is like .I have PF and TTS and when I tell people my family that I am in pain they are like put ice on your foot and I am like yes what is your point ice does not always help with me sometimes it makes it worse.So I so understand your pain.

You had asked how the foot does after rehab,I did not have surgery but I have been in and out of casts,hard cast with crutches and the walking cast. Just a few weeks ago I got out of other hard cast with crutches (And I am not 40 yet and I had a hell of a time with the crutches) and my foot hurt like hell to put it down even with no weight on it for the first time in 9 weeks ,you must take it REAL SLOW,it will get easier .You are in a cast now right?

Please keep us posted ,you make my day and I am so happy you are a part of the board,Heres a BIG hug to you too.Laurie R

Re: First time in two years I do not feel PF pain!!! YAHOOOO!!! (but still haven't walked on the foot yet - ut ohhh)

caryne on 7/24/00 at 08:20 (023797)

Hi, had my surgery March 30th...so glad I did. I was in a hard cast and crutches for two weeks..then just used crutches for about 3 weeks afterwards, but I basically just used one crutch and used light pressure on my sore heel and all went well. I could put pressure on surgery foot right away. I'm doing so much better now. Hang in there

JudyS on 7/24/00 at 10:00 (023811)

Shari - bear with me .....I can't remember which type of surgery you had......can you tell us again? Thanks

Beverly on 7/24/00 at 13:01 (023827)

Sharie,

What a relief it must be to feel pain-free. Since I've never had surgery, I can't offer any suggestions. But I want to let you know your stories are great to read, and I hope your rehab goes well.
Beverly

Re: For Judy re: type of surgery I had

Sharie on 7/24/00 at 13:52 (023834)

Hi Judy, and friends...
Per your inquiry as to what kind of surgery I had here ya go! A week and a half ago I had PF scopic surgery. This was an outpatient surgery with local anesthetic and something wonderful that put me out without having general anesthetic. Two small incisions (two stitches worth) were made on either side of my heel and a pencil sized metal rod with a slit in it was inserted into the incision. Then, a camera, and surgical knife was inserted into the rod and the fascia or band that is connected to the heel that causes all the pain was snipped 2/3 away. That was the release part. I am a two year sufferer of unbelieveable pain and since the surgery that pain is GONE! All I feel at this point, and I know it is still very early in the game, is healing pain of the incisions and sensitivity where the rod was pushed in. Weeks off my foot is the healing time and as of today I can put my foot down on the floor for short lengths of time to see how it feels. I feel wonderful tho!! It is a day and night difference in type of pain from before to now. I have no idea what will happen or what it will feel like when I try real weight baring on the foot. But I feel I am half way there or further. I wish I had had this procedure done long ago, but the doc says that often times the orthotics solve the problem. In my case it didn't. Neither did injections, or anti-inflammatories.

Yes it is an inconvenience being in a wheel chair. Yes it means sitting on my bum for long periods of time, and yes it means people have to help you here and there... but I feel positive about the outcome at this point, and it seems all worth it.

Thank you for inquiring Judy.... you take care...

Sharie H, in San Diego, Calif.

Re: Caryne.....Re: First time in two years I do not feel PF pain!!! YAHOOOO!!! (but still haven't walked on the foot yet - ut ohhh)

Sharie on 7/24/00 at 14:00 (023837)

Oh My Gosh Caryne, what was your original medical diagnosis that you had to have surgery, then a cast, and immediate weight baring??? Please share again what kind of foot problem you had?

thank you much
Sharie
:)

Laurie R on 7/23/00 at 20:05 (023772)

Hi Sharie,
First of all I love your story's......You had me laughing out loud about your neighbor ,what a fool to tell you it would be better if you just got up and walked.You are so right people do not understand what PF is like .I have PF and TTS and when I tell people my family that I am in pain they are like put ice on your foot and I am like yes what is your point ice does not always help with me sometimes it makes it worse.So I so understand your pain.

You had asked how the foot does after rehab,I did not have surgery but I have been in and out of casts,hard cast with crutches and the walking cast. Just a few weeks ago I got out of other hard cast with crutches (And I am not 40 yet and I had a hell of a time with the crutches) and my foot hurt like hell to put it down even with no weight on it for the first time in 9 weeks ,you must take it REAL SLOW,it will get easier .You are in a cast now right?

Please keep us posted ,you make my day and I am so happy you are a part of the board,Heres a BIG hug to you too.Laurie R

caryne on 7/24/00 at 08:20 (023797)

Hi, had my surgery March 30th...so glad I did. I was in a hard cast and crutches for two weeks..then just used crutches for about 3 weeks afterwards, but I basically just used one crutch and used light pressure on my sore heel and all went well. I could put pressure on surgery foot right away. I'm doing so much better now. Hang in there

JudyS on 7/24/00 at 10:00 (023811)

Shari - bear with me .....I can't remember which type of surgery you had......can you tell us again? Thanks

Beverly on 7/24/00 at 13:01 (023827)

Sharie,

What a relief it must be to feel pain-free. Since I've never had surgery, I can't offer any suggestions. But I want to let you know your stories are great to read, and I hope your rehab goes well.
Beverly

Re: For Judy re: type of surgery I had

Sharie on 7/24/00 at 13:52 (023834)

Hi Judy, and friends...
Per your inquiry as to what kind of surgery I had here ya go! A week and a half ago I had PF scopic surgery. This was an outpatient surgery with local anesthetic and something wonderful that put me out without having general anesthetic. Two small incisions (two stitches worth) were made on either side of my heel and a pencil sized metal rod with a slit in it was inserted into the incision. Then, a camera, and surgical knife was inserted into the rod and the fascia or band that is connected to the heel that causes all the pain was snipped 2/3 away. That was the release part. I am a two year sufferer of unbelieveable pain and since the surgery that pain is GONE! All I feel at this point, and I know it is still very early in the game, is healing pain of the incisions and sensitivity where the rod was pushed in. Weeks off my foot is the healing time and as of today I can put my foot down on the floor for short lengths of time to see how it feels. I feel wonderful tho!! It is a day and night difference in type of pain from before to now. I have no idea what will happen or what it will feel like when I try real weight baring on the foot. But I feel I am half way there or further. I wish I had had this procedure done long ago, but the doc says that often times the orthotics solve the problem. In my case it didn't. Neither did injections, or anti-inflammatories.

Yes it is an inconvenience being in a wheel chair. Yes it means sitting on my bum for long periods of time, and yes it means people have to help you here and there... but I feel positive about the outcome at this point, and it seems all worth it.

Thank you for inquiring Judy.... you take care...

Sharie H, in San Diego, Calif.

Re: Caryne.....Re: First time in two years I do not feel PF pain!!! YAHOOOO!!! (but still haven't walked on the foot yet - ut ohhh)

Sharie on 7/24/00 at 14:00 (023837)

Oh My Gosh Caryne, what was your original medical diagnosis that you had to have surgery, then a cast, and immediate weight baring??? Please share again what kind of foot problem you had?

thank you much
Sharie
:)