Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Crutches After Surgery, HA!! Would rather scoot on my bum!

Posted by Sharie on 7/23/00 at 18:45 (023767)

I'm tellin' ya... trying to get those crutches to behave is amazing work. Losing my balance, falling forward full speed, landing on the bad foot, hopping on it, and landing on the floor, is the true scenario for me of trying with these darn things! Luckily I was loaned a wheelchair... At my first post surgery (EPF) visit with my foot doctor I, with doe eyed sadness, told him I couldn't us those crutches. He stated that 'it is perfectly normal for people over forty to have difficulty using crutches.' After I kissed the doctors smooth and shiny cheek that smelled kinda nice (woulda been his hand but it was holding my foot - eww) and thanked him for reassuring me I wasn't the only one who couldn't get those darn crutches right... I left the office feeling renewed again about how normal I might be after all (anything to reassure me of that fantasy lol!) So my new crutches sit here unused, and anyone under forty that needs them, give me a call.... if you are over forty, and can use them no problem, I don't want to know about it LOL!

By the way.... I borrowed my grandson's hockey knee pads so I can 'knee around' in my sewing room. Being three feet tall is cool!!

Take care loves, you will make it through this PF sh** (giggle)

Sharie

Re: Crutches After Surgery, HA!! Would rather scoot on my bum!

Pat M. on 7/23/00 at 20:24 (023775)

O.K. Sharie,
I will be 42 on Aug.1 and have surgery on Aug.2. So what you are saying issss....I don't stand a chance with crutches? UhOh. Guess I better start hunting for those knee pads.

mike on 7/24/00 at 05:33 (023788)

I am going to have sugery 8/17 and have been practicing walking with crutches. The forearm type work better for me then the armpit type.

JudyS on 7/24/00 at 09:55 (023808)

Hey you guys - I've been on crutches at least twice since I turned 40.......didn't have any problems but I'm kinda intrigued with the idea that I could wheel around my yard in a chair instead - MUCH easier on the armpits!

Beverly on 7/24/00 at 11:48 (023820)

I feel for anyone on crutches. I tried them for a few days at my former pod's suggestion (one of the worst ideas I've tried), and it sent my upperbody (old neck/shoulder injury) into total agony. That was six weeks ago, and after PT to neck/shoulder and massage regularly, I am only now starting to feel semi-normal in my upperbody.

After that experience, I am scared to death of anything that might ever put me on crutches again. Since I have this in both feet, crutches aren't a good option anyway; so I hope I never require surgery.

When I was at my worst, I did use a wheelchair around the house for a brief time. It was much easier on me than the crutches.

Beverly

Sharie on 7/24/00 at 14:15 (023843)

Good luck on 8/17 Mike! Please share what kind of surgery you are having and for which foot condition. I really hope you are able to get crutches to feel comfy for you. I am short, and overweight (A TAD... ah hem..) and trying to smoothly hop and slide my bootie around on crutches just didn't work for me. I loved it when my Knight in Shining Armour foot doc told me that often people over forty have difficulty maneuvering crutches. If you are over 40 and can do it, then I never want to speak to you again! JUST KIDDING! But honest, I tried, and couldn't keep my balance no matter what!

Mike, please let us know how your surgery goes and how your recouperation goes okay? Thanks for writing!!

Hugs
Sharie

Pat M. on 7/23/00 at 20:24 (023775)

O.K. Sharie,
I will be 42 on Aug.1 and have surgery on Aug.2. So what you are saying issss....I don't stand a chance with crutches? UhOh. Guess I better start hunting for those knee pads.

mike on 7/24/00 at 05:33 (023788)

I am going to have sugery 8/17 and have been practicing walking with crutches. The forearm type work better for me then the armpit type.

JudyS on 7/24/00 at 09:55 (023808)

Hey you guys - I've been on crutches at least twice since I turned 40.......didn't have any problems but I'm kinda intrigued with the idea that I could wheel around my yard in a chair instead - MUCH easier on the armpits!

Beverly on 7/24/00 at 11:48 (023820)

I feel for anyone on crutches. I tried them for a few days at my former pod's suggestion (one of the worst ideas I've tried), and it sent my upperbody (old neck/shoulder injury) into total agony. That was six weeks ago, and after PT to neck/shoulder and massage regularly, I am only now starting to feel semi-normal in my upperbody.

After that experience, I am scared to death of anything that might ever put me on crutches again. Since I have this in both feet, crutches aren't a good option anyway; so I hope I never require surgery.

When I was at my worst, I did use a wheelchair around the house for a brief time. It was much easier on me than the crutches.

Beverly

Sharie on 7/24/00 at 14:15 (023843)

Good luck on 8/17 Mike! Please share what kind of surgery you are having and for which foot condition. I really hope you are able to get crutches to feel comfy for you. I am short, and overweight (A TAD... ah hem..) and trying to smoothly hop and slide my bootie around on crutches just didn't work for me. I loved it when my Knight in Shining Armour foot doc told me that often people over forty have difficulty maneuvering crutches. If you are over 40 and can do it, then I never want to speak to you again! JUST KIDDING! But honest, I tried, and couldn't keep my balance no matter what!

Mike, please let us know how your surgery goes and how your recouperation goes okay? Thanks for writing!!

Hugs
Sharie