Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MORNING STIFFNESS

Posted by Kathy on 7/23/00 at 20:04 (023771)

Besides my usual morning heel pain I've had for the last few months a stiffness in the ankle, almost like an arthritis but it seems to work it self out in about half hour after waking. Have had pf for almost 3 yrs now and this is fairly new for me. Any ideas.
Thanks,
Kathy

Re: MORNING STIFFNESS

Nancy S. on 7/24/00 at 10:50 (023815)

Hi Kathy,
Have you noticed any stiffness also at the back of your heel? I'm thinking of the achilles tendons -- because that's what's happened to me after I had PF for a year. It began with stiffness back there and also stiffness and pain around the sides of the heel and in the ankles. I'm trying to remember back -- but the first symptom I think I noticed was in the ankles. If you recognize any of this, I'd get it checked by a doctor. In fact, I think I would anyway so that whatever it is, you can hopefully nip it before it grows worse. --Nancy

Melody on 7/24/00 at 11:53 (023821)

Nancy,

That is just what I am getting - stiffness in the back of my heel whenever I walk!

What would I be going to the doctor for? I know I have PF and don't want to bother her about things she can do nothing about! Am I right in thinking/ remembering that you have Achilles tendonitis?

Thanks

Mel

Nancy S. on 7/24/00 at 12:12 (023823)

Hi Melody,
Yes, I have AT. I went to the doctor because, unbelievably, not having learned my lesson from PF (!), I waited until the AT got suddenly really bad -- a lot of swelling and inflammation and pain.
I don't know how it works in the U.K., but here you have to get a doctor to send you to a physical therapist. So that's what happened, and the PT is helping me, slowly.
If you just have stiffness and nothing else, based on what I've learned in therapy you might try these things at home: moist heat (like a 10-minute hot bath), then slow, mild stretching. (I just do towel pulls, just to the point of feeling a stretch -- I sit on the floor and stretch with the towel first with my legs out straight and then with my knees bent; I do each version 3 times on each leg/foot, three times a day. My tendons are starting to become more flexible since starting this.)
I'm also icing three times a day (or more if it's a bad day), putting ice packs all around the back of the tendons, the sides of my heels, and my ankles. The icing is more because I have so much swelling. My therapist said that for stiffness, moist heat is better.
So maybe some version of this will keep you from the doc or developing AT. I hope so. Good luck!
--Nancy

Kathy on 7/24/00 at 19:18 (023858)

Thanks Nancy, I'll try your suggestions

Nancy S. on 7/24/00 at 10:50 (023815)

Hi Kathy,
Have you noticed any stiffness also at the back of your heel? I'm thinking of the achilles tendons -- because that's what's happened to me after I had PF for a year. It began with stiffness back there and also stiffness and pain around the sides of the heel and in the ankles. I'm trying to remember back -- but the first symptom I think I noticed was in the ankles. If you recognize any of this, I'd get it checked by a doctor. In fact, I think I would anyway so that whatever it is, you can hopefully nip it before it grows worse. --Nancy

Melody on 7/24/00 at 11:53 (023821)

Nancy,

That is just what I am getting - stiffness in the back of my heel whenever I walk!

What would I be going to the doctor for? I know I have PF and don't want to bother her about things she can do nothing about! Am I right in thinking/ remembering that you have Achilles tendonitis?

Thanks

Mel

Nancy S. on 7/24/00 at 12:12 (023823)

Hi Melody,
Yes, I have AT. I went to the doctor because, unbelievably, not having learned my lesson from PF (!), I waited until the AT got suddenly really bad -- a lot of swelling and inflammation and pain.
I don't know how it works in the U.K., but here you have to get a doctor to send you to a physical therapist. So that's what happened, and the PT is helping me, slowly.
If you just have stiffness and nothing else, based on what I've learned in therapy you might try these things at home: moist heat (like a 10-minute hot bath), then slow, mild stretching. (I just do towel pulls, just to the point of feeling a stretch -- I sit on the floor and stretch with the towel first with my legs out straight and then with my knees bent; I do each version 3 times on each leg/foot, three times a day. My tendons are starting to become more flexible since starting this.)
I'm also icing three times a day (or more if it's a bad day), putting ice packs all around the back of the tendons, the sides of my heels, and my ankles. The icing is more because I have so much swelling. My therapist said that for stiffness, moist heat is better.
So maybe some version of this will keep you from the doc or developing AT. I hope so. Good luck!
--Nancy

Kathy on 7/24/00 at 19:18 (023858)

Thanks Nancy, I'll try your suggestions