Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain is back

Posted by Bob G. on 7/23/00 at 23:25 (023783)

After 19 weeks pain free, the pain has returned. Why?

Probably has something to do with the NightSplint, which I shopped using 7 weeks ago because of sore knees.

I walked briskly Thursday and Friday, drove up north on Saturday and had a throbbing heel. Took Ipubrophen and was okay for the day, but Sunday awoke with PF pain.

Even though I stretch religiously, the early morning pain on first step has returned, and would not go away no matter what. So tonight, I will begin wearing the NightSplint again even though I'll be wearing a knee brace, the S/Sock and Birkenstock arch support all at the same time. I plan on reading a boring book on physics to get some sleep.

I am not a bad comedian, but when in pain don't cross my chicken or you'll get a lot of bad yolks! :) BG

Re: Pain is back

wendyn on 7/23/00 at 23:28 (023784)

Sorry to hear about your set back Bob. I hope you get things back on track quicly. If your physics book doesn't do the trick to help you sleep - I have a 1997 Income Tax act that can put ANYBODY to sleep. You let me know.......

Bob G. on 7/24/00 at 00:45 (023786)

Thank you, Wendyn!

I will be fine. From what I've learned on this Board I will be back to pain free soon.

Just have to suck it up a bit. Wear the NightSplint and tend to business.

Good nite! :) BG

Nancy S. on 7/24/00 at 07:17 (023789)

Bob, I'm so sorry! Life brings us nasty little surprises. I'm starting to get used to them. With your positive attitude, I think you'll rebound from your setback in short order. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. When you run out of physics and Wendy's tax act for boring reading, I'll send you my self-pitying journal from last winter! --Nancy

Rock on 7/24/00 at 08:10 (023795)

Bob,

I too am in (PF) remission. I can have numerous weeks 100% pain free and then for some unknown reason have flare-up.

The only common threads I can come up (for me) with is that some combination of lower activity and less stretching can, but not always result in a flare-up. Oddly enough, very high levels of activity (high volume ironman training like 200+ mile bike/week and 40+ miles run/week) do NOT result in flare-ups. Use it or lose it ?

Rock.
TN. USA.

alan k on 7/24/00 at 08:16 (023796)

Bob, sorry too.

Perhaps when your heel is feeling better you might try strength exercises and stick to the stretching and keep the blood flowing in the feet regularly as Rock advises. You shouldn't have to wear a nightsplint forever to keep of the pf.

good luck,

alan k

john h on 7/24/00 at 08:43 (023799)

setbacks are certainly one if not the most discourging things that can happen with PF. i have had a couple in the past 4 months. i would go about 3 weeks with minimal pain and for no apparent reason the pain would return. it abates though not completely more quickly than it did in the past. it always happens to both feet at once if anyone can compute that..

Sweetfeet on 7/24/00 at 08:49 (023801)

Bob, I am really sorry to hear about your relapse. This thing is so insidious--like I have always believed. I truly think just because we don't 'feel' the pain anymore--it lurks ready to pounce anytime we let down our guard. After hearing about your pain, I am now more convinced than ever that we must be very vigilant about our recovery. I know things will get better by doing the things you used to do. Please keep us posted. We are all in this together.

JudyS on 7/24/00 at 09:59 (023809)

Bob Bob Bob.......I'll bet you already know what you did. Walked briskly Thursday and Friday? Do I recall correctly that you've been pretty low-key exercise-wise since your knees got sore? Then sat in the car on Saturday? I detect too much 'stiffening' of tendons as a result of reawakening them Thursday and Friday then making them be inactive on Saturday.........but you also know that you have a solid recovery program and will probably bounce back relatively soon. Yep, I think so!

Laurie R on 7/24/00 at 10:35 (023813)

Hi Bob,
I am also so sorry to hear about your set back,but you know things will get better,the sad thing is you were doing so well.Hang in there buddy and rest your feet.My best to you Bob......Laurie R

Beverly on 7/24/00 at 11:34 (023819)

Bob,

I'm sorry to hear about your setback. Do you really wear the nightsplint, S-sock, and knee brace all at the same time?
We're rooting for you. Those 19 weeks pain-free at least shows you that you can and will get better.
Beverly

Re: Does this mean total inflammation again?

Sweetfeet on 7/24/00 at 13:36 (023831)

I am currently on an inflammatory which seems to be helping--no pain. So, is the opposite true when there is pain--inflammation?

Re: Thanks to everybody!

Bob G. on 7/24/00 at 13:56 (023835)

Thanks, All, for your support! Please don't worry because I am not down. I do know what to do (what works for me) and what not to do - mostly from being in this group of cyber-hobblers :)

Fortunately, the pain is not that bad and is managable. I am an educated PF Sufferer. My goals are still walking, jogging and dancing and I am confident on reaching them.

Thanks so much for your input and encouragement! BG

john h on 7/24/00 at 17:21 (023851)

bob: i hope your goal of dancing is not 'river dancing' or 'flemenco'!

wendyn on 7/23/00 at 23:28 (023784)

Sorry to hear about your set back Bob. I hope you get things back on track quicly. If your physics book doesn't do the trick to help you sleep - I have a 1997 Income Tax act that can put ANYBODY to sleep. You let me know.......

Bob G. on 7/24/00 at 00:45 (023786)

Thank you, Wendyn!

I will be fine. From what I've learned on this Board I will be back to pain free soon.

Just have to suck it up a bit. Wear the NightSplint and tend to business.

Good nite! :) BG

Nancy S. on 7/24/00 at 07:17 (023789)

Bob, I'm so sorry! Life brings us nasty little surprises. I'm starting to get used to them. With your positive attitude, I think you'll rebound from your setback in short order. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. When you run out of physics and Wendy's tax act for boring reading, I'll send you my self-pitying journal from last winter! --Nancy

Rock on 7/24/00 at 08:10 (023795)

Bob,

I too am in (PF) remission. I can have numerous weeks 100% pain free and then for some unknown reason have flare-up.

The only common threads I can come up (for me) with is that some combination of lower activity and less stretching can, but not always result in a flare-up. Oddly enough, very high levels of activity (high volume ironman training like 200+ mile bike/week and 40+ miles run/week) do NOT result in flare-ups. Use it or lose it ?

Rock.
TN. USA.

alan k on 7/24/00 at 08:16 (023796)

Bob, sorry too.

Perhaps when your heel is feeling better you might try strength exercises and stick to the stretching and keep the blood flowing in the feet regularly as Rock advises. You shouldn't have to wear a nightsplint forever to keep of the pf.

good luck,

alan k

john h on 7/24/00 at 08:43 (023799)

setbacks are certainly one if not the most discourging things that can happen with PF. i have had a couple in the past 4 months. i would go about 3 weeks with minimal pain and for no apparent reason the pain would return. it abates though not completely more quickly than it did in the past. it always happens to both feet at once if anyone can compute that..

Sweetfeet on 7/24/00 at 08:49 (023801)

Bob, I am really sorry to hear about your relapse. This thing is so insidious--like I have always believed. I truly think just because we don't 'feel' the pain anymore--it lurks ready to pounce anytime we let down our guard. After hearing about your pain, I am now more convinced than ever that we must be very vigilant about our recovery. I know things will get better by doing the things you used to do. Please keep us posted. We are all in this together.

JudyS on 7/24/00 at 09:59 (023809)

Bob Bob Bob.......I'll bet you already know what you did. Walked briskly Thursday and Friday? Do I recall correctly that you've been pretty low-key exercise-wise since your knees got sore? Then sat in the car on Saturday? I detect too much 'stiffening' of tendons as a result of reawakening them Thursday and Friday then making them be inactive on Saturday.........but you also know that you have a solid recovery program and will probably bounce back relatively soon. Yep, I think so!

Laurie R on 7/24/00 at 10:35 (023813)

Hi Bob,
I am also so sorry to hear about your set back,but you know things will get better,the sad thing is you were doing so well.Hang in there buddy and rest your feet.My best to you Bob......Laurie R

Beverly on 7/24/00 at 11:34 (023819)

Bob,

I'm sorry to hear about your setback. Do you really wear the nightsplint, S-sock, and knee brace all at the same time?
We're rooting for you. Those 19 weeks pain-free at least shows you that you can and will get better.
Beverly

Re: Does this mean total inflammation again?

Sweetfeet on 7/24/00 at 13:36 (023831)

I am currently on an inflammatory which seems to be helping--no pain. So, is the opposite true when there is pain--inflammation?

Bob G. on 7/24/00 at 13:56 (023835)

Thanks, All, for your support! Please don't worry because I am not down. I do know what to do (what works for me) and what not to do - mostly from being in this group of cyber-hobblers :)

Fortunately, the pain is not that bad and is managable. I am an educated PF Sufferer. My goals are still walking, jogging and dancing and I am confident on reaching them.

Thanks so much for your input and encouragement! BG

john h on 7/24/00 at 17:21 (023851)

bob: i hope your goal of dancing is not 'river dancing' or 'flemenco'!