Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question re Foot Strengthening Exercises

Posted by Helen K. on 7/24/00 at 12:18 (023824)

I've noticed some mention of foot-strengthening exercises being helpful for PF. I would appreciate any posts describing such exercises.

I'm new to the board and am trying to learn all I can. What I've learned so far from this board has allowed me to wake up without pain for four days now, so I would definitely like to hear about any foot exercises that have helped any of you. I now do massaging, stretching, icing and flexing the foot and holding it before getting out of bed.

Thanks so much,
Helen

Re: Question re Foot Strengthening Exercises

Beverly on 7/24/00 at 12:47 (023825)

One foot strengthening exercise my physical therapist has me doing is the towel scrunch. You put a hand towel on the floor. You sit down. You put your foot in the middle of the towel, and begin scrunching the towel towards you will your toes. Then, try to straighten out the towel by pushing it out straight again with the toes.

If your insurance will at all allow it, I highly reccomend getting at least two or three weeks of PT. The therapist will customize a routine to fit your needs. She'll make sure you don't do too much too soon, and the that stretches and exercises are right for you.

I am so glad I am going to PT, and I only wish I had gotten there sooner.

Beverly

Re: Question re Foot Strengthening Exercises

Beverly on 7/24/00 at 12:47 (023825)

One foot strengthening exercise my physical therapist has me doing is the towel scrunch. You put a hand towel on the floor. You sit down. You put your foot in the middle of the towel, and begin scrunching the towel towards you will your toes. Then, try to straighten out the towel by pushing it out straight again with the toes.

If your insurance will at all allow it, I highly reccomend getting at least two or three weeks of PT. The therapist will customize a routine to fit your needs. She'll make sure you don't do too much too soon, and the that stretches and exercises are right for you.

I am so glad I am going to PT, and I only wish I had gotten there sooner.

Beverly