Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF great! Now I blew my knee!

Posted by April on 7/24/00 at 13:19 (023828)

OK after two years I beat PF. I started exercising again with just the treadmill (walking) stairmaster, bike and lunges. Now my feet are fine but my right knee is sore when I wake up and I'm scared to death I'm going to wreck that too. Gee, I'm only 34 and I feel geriatric. I've quit everything now and am just doing upper body weights for awhile while my knee heals. I'm pumping myself with ibprofen too. Am I doomed? Should I just do weights exclusively and forget about any foot or knee impact stuff? Please don't suggest swimming, my hair turns green at the sight of chlorine. Then that would be ANOTHER problem!~ I need aerobic activity that won't wreck my joints. Does anybody know of any magic potion one can take to heal joint problems?

Re: PF great! Now I blew my knee!

Beverly on 7/24/00 at 13:26 (023830)

April,

Perhaps, after all that inactivity, you just overdid it when you resumed exercise. My knee acts up from time to time (fell on it once), and I ice it, stay off it, and after a few days, I'm usually fine.
But it probably would be a good idea to have your doctor take a look at your knee if it keeps bothering you. It would be a shame to turn what may only be a minor boo-boo into a big one by ignoring it.

Good Luck,
Beverly

wendyn on 7/24/00 at 14:10 (023841)

You may want to go back to just walking for a while when you're better. If lunges aren't done properly they put A LOT of strain on your knees. I know a lot of folks (myself included) that suspect the stairmaster may have contributed to our injuries.

Go with the walking for a while, if your knee is okay - start biking and maybe no impact aerobics. What about some circuit training - alternating weights with the bike? But, watch for any sign of pain returning and get it checked out right away. If it doesn't settle down soon on its own, have your doctor look at it now.

Hope things improve....

Steve P on 7/24/00 at 16:01 (023847)

April --- I would see an Orthopedist soon if your knee problem doesn't clear. You could be getting chondromalacia, a type of knee inflammation that takes a while to clear. Some of your leg muscles (quads in particular) might have atrophied during the inactivity of PF, and reduced quad strength can be a factor in bringing on chondromalacia. I know........I once had it!

So please don't let this go too long without getting an evaluation.

Steve

Rick R on 7/24/00 at 16:06 (023848)

I consider the down time with PF to have allowed other body parts to become far more vulnerable to injury than they would have otherwise been. Lord knows it couldn't be age catching up with me(I'm close to your age, just switch the numbers around). Since resuming an active life all hell broke loose. Back, left knee other foot problems, you name it. Actually the spur on my right foot wasn't a problem until I was down for surgery on the left side. It never occurred to me that it wold be worse as a result of lost strength and flexibility; silly me, I thought the rest would be good for all the other dinged up parts.. A big part of the problem may well be favoring the heels. I have been back to running now for about 2 years placing most of the load on the balls of my feet. This is considered a major no-no and is expected to lead to knee and hip trouble. I would avoid the lunges. I have never done the stairmaster but I think it's a bit much for me. Also biking is harder on the knees for me than running. Running is a really stupid thing to do so take my advise with a grain of salt!

Lots of luck,

Rick

john h on 7/24/00 at 17:19 (023850)

april if you just do weights you will be a real woman! seriously however most knee problems are easily fixable. i would trade my pf for just about any kind of knee problem. see your doc and give the knee a rest and until you see the doc ice and do anti inflamatories

Fred on 7/24/00 at 18:03 (023855)

You sound like you do not want to swim under any circumstances. However, if you do not want to simply to avoid chlorine, I would suggest checking the pools at your local spas to see if they treat their water with chlorine. Increasingly pools use ozone, a non-chemical, to purify their water. I have been swimming regularly for many years, but increasingly since I got PF about 18 months ago. I swim about 45 minutes 4-5 times a week. It's great exercise - you use most of your muscles and there is no strain on your joints.

Rock on 7/25/00 at 07:58 (023876)

April,

I doubt that you have done serious injury yet. As the most active of all regular posters on this board I have a lot of experience with injuries and most all of them will give you plenty of warning before things get dire.

As always I suggest biking and swimming as a means to improve one's fittness levels to the point where more risky activities such as running and hiking can be started. Weights and actions such as lunges are in my opinion are far more risky than just running.

Rock.

Beverly on 7/24/00 at 13:26 (023830)

April,

Perhaps, after all that inactivity, you just overdid it when you resumed exercise. My knee acts up from time to time (fell on it once), and I ice it, stay off it, and after a few days, I'm usually fine.
But it probably would be a good idea to have your doctor take a look at your knee if it keeps bothering you. It would be a shame to turn what may only be a minor boo-boo into a big one by ignoring it.

Good Luck,
Beverly

wendyn on 7/24/00 at 14:10 (023841)

You may want to go back to just walking for a while when you're better. If lunges aren't done properly they put A LOT of strain on your knees. I know a lot of folks (myself included) that suspect the stairmaster may have contributed to our injuries.

Go with the walking for a while, if your knee is okay - start biking and maybe no impact aerobics. What about some circuit training - alternating weights with the bike? But, watch for any sign of pain returning and get it checked out right away. If it doesn't settle down soon on its own, have your doctor look at it now.

Hope things improve....

Steve P on 7/24/00 at 16:01 (023847)

April --- I would see an Orthopedist soon if your knee problem doesn't clear. You could be getting chondromalacia, a type of knee inflammation that takes a while to clear. Some of your leg muscles (quads in particular) might have atrophied during the inactivity of PF, and reduced quad strength can be a factor in bringing on chondromalacia. I know........I once had it!

So please don't let this go too long without getting an evaluation.

Steve

Rick R on 7/24/00 at 16:06 (023848)

I consider the down time with PF to have allowed other body parts to become far more vulnerable to injury than they would have otherwise been. Lord knows it couldn't be age catching up with me(I'm close to your age, just switch the numbers around). Since resuming an active life all hell broke loose. Back, left knee other foot problems, you name it. Actually the spur on my right foot wasn't a problem until I was down for surgery on the left side. It never occurred to me that it wold be worse as a result of lost strength and flexibility; silly me, I thought the rest would be good for all the other dinged up parts.. A big part of the problem may well be favoring the heels. I have been back to running now for about 2 years placing most of the load on the balls of my feet. This is considered a major no-no and is expected to lead to knee and hip trouble. I would avoid the lunges. I have never done the stairmaster but I think it's a bit much for me. Also biking is harder on the knees for me than running. Running is a really stupid thing to do so take my advise with a grain of salt!

Lots of luck,

Rick

john h on 7/24/00 at 17:19 (023850)

april if you just do weights you will be a real woman! seriously however most knee problems are easily fixable. i would trade my pf for just about any kind of knee problem. see your doc and give the knee a rest and until you see the doc ice and do anti inflamatories

Fred on 7/24/00 at 18:03 (023855)

You sound like you do not want to swim under any circumstances. However, if you do not want to simply to avoid chlorine, I would suggest checking the pools at your local spas to see if they treat their water with chlorine. Increasingly pools use ozone, a non-chemical, to purify their water. I have been swimming regularly for many years, but increasingly since I got PF about 18 months ago. I swim about 45 minutes 4-5 times a week. It's great exercise - you use most of your muscles and there is no strain on your joints.

Rock on 7/25/00 at 07:58 (023876)

April,

I doubt that you have done serious injury yet. As the most active of all regular posters on this board I have a lot of experience with injuries and most all of them will give you plenty of warning before things get dire.

As always I suggest biking and swimming as a means to improve one's fittness levels to the point where more risky activities such as running and hiking can be started. Weights and actions such as lunges are in my opinion are far more risky than just running.

Rock.