Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about Strasburg Sock and PT questions for PT veterans

Posted by Beverly on 7/24/00 at 13:22 (023829)

I still have not given into the night splint. I've seen the pictures and it just looks dreadful. I think I might be more likely to try the Strasburg Sock. My pain level is at a point that I have good days and bad days. As I have posted recently, I see real hope
from physical therapy (currently getting massage, ultrasound, ionpheresis, and stretching/strengthening). I see the most progress in my right foot, which is the older injury.

So here are some questions:

1. Who has tried to Strasburg Sock? What is it like? How does it compare to the nightsplint in terms of results? Did anyone get hurt wearing it? I have PF in both feet. Those of you with both feet affected, did you wear the sock on both feet or one at a time?

2. After a week of physical therapy, I can flex and hold to the count of 5 on the passive stretches. When I first started, I could barely hold a stretch to the count of one! Also, the PT can go a bit deeper in my massage without it being more than I can comfortably take. She has me doing toe squeezes. The toe squeezes still hurt, and I don't hold them for any period of time. I'm thinking I should back off from the toe squeezes, but I'm not sure. I did all of my routine last night, and today, my left foot really hurts alot - arch and ankle. My other new stretch is to stand off the edge of a book... felt achey. I suspect either the toe squeeze or the book stretch is the culprit of today's pain. But I'm not sure which one. I say that because after resting all weekend, my feet were feeling better by last night.

3. Of those of you with this in both feet, how has your progress gone?

4. How many months into PF were you when you began stretches and/or physical therapy? How long did it take before you started seeing results?

I feel like I have two things going for me and two things going against me in terms of recovery. On the plus side, I don't work on my feet. I sit at a computer and work at home. Also, my insurance is very liberal in terms of physical therapy. I have no limits to the number of visits. One the negative, is that I have this in both feet, and I was four months into this before I resumed stretching.
I often wonder where I would be today if I had just ignored the pod who said 'don't stretch.' But it hurt so much when I stretched, it was easy to fall into the 'don't stretch' camp. Well, with the help of physical therapy, I am finding stretching to be far easier than I thought it would be.

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Question about Strasburg Sock and PT questions for PT veterans

BarbS on 7/24/00 at 15:06 (023846)

I have been using The Sock (not sure if it's Strasburg) since last Sept. If it is the same thing you're talking about, it pulls back the toes to stretch your foot. I only have one, since they are $40, so I use it on one foot at a time. I have PF in both feet. It seemed to help for the first two months I used it but doesn't seem to do much good now.

My severe pain started in my left foot with a little in the right. I got custom orthotics and they really helped my left foot but ended up hurting my right. The arch was not made correctly and actually caused problems for me. I dumped the Podiatrist who made them for me and my new dr. is altering them. He has also put me on a rigid schedule of icing and stretching. The stretch on the stairs seems to help the most. Toes go on the stair while heels are down. Hold and then rise up on toes and hold. I have finally felt some relief since I started doing this. The pain is still there but it is not quite as bad.

My doctor said he does not recommend toe squeezes. I told him I had been doing those at night and during the day while wearing shoes. Now I do the stair stretch and a lunge stretch in my cubicle every 1 to 2 hours. Hang in there. I hope you find relief soon; you definitely have my sympathy (or would it be empathy?)

Re: Question about Strasburg Sock and PT questions for PT veterans

BarbS on 7/24/00 at 15:06 (023846)

I have been using The Sock (not sure if it's Strasburg) since last Sept. If it is the same thing you're talking about, it pulls back the toes to stretch your foot. I only have one, since they are $40, so I use it on one foot at a time. I have PF in both feet. It seemed to help for the first two months I used it but doesn't seem to do much good now.

My severe pain started in my left foot with a little in the right. I got custom orthotics and they really helped my left foot but ended up hurting my right. The arch was not made correctly and actually caused problems for me. I dumped the Podiatrist who made them for me and my new dr. is altering them. He has also put me on a rigid schedule of icing and stretching. The stretch on the stairs seems to help the most. Toes go on the stair while heels are down. Hold and then rise up on toes and hold. I have finally felt some relief since I started doing this. The pain is still there but it is not quite as bad.

My doctor said he does not recommend toe squeezes. I told him I had been doing those at night and during the day while wearing shoes. Now I do the stair stretch and a lunge stretch in my cubicle every 1 to 2 hours. Hang in there. I hope you find relief soon; you definitely have my sympathy (or would it be empathy?)