Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Roller Blading

Posted by Mark R on 7/25/00 at 07:05 (023874)

Is roller blading good for PF. It seems to stretch the calf muscles but I am not sure if it is helping or not. Does anyone know if this is helpful or not? I am trying to excercise but the PF injury is limiting my activities.

Re: Roller Blading

Terry on 7/25/00 at 08:51 (023879)

Mark, I would think that rollerblading would be good for PF. The calf is stretched and the fascia is held in place, flat against the bottom of the blade. If I were you, I would try to use some kind of an arch support, even if it is an insole from a sneaker. You may need to pull out the sock and then put in the the insole. I have not skated since last winter and am anxious to again. Let us know how it goes for you. Terry

JudyS on 7/25/00 at 09:53 (023885)

The last time I 'bladed was about a year ago when my PF was at its height.....I have to say that the bracket/blades run plum along the fascia so, for me, it was the wrong thing to do. I'm thinking about going for it again now because my PF is quite a bit less. Maybe I'll try a ten-minute experiment...

Rock on 7/25/00 at 12:32 (023898)

Mark R,

If it does not cause you pain the following day, then it is probably an OK activity for you.

Rock.

ChanaW on 7/25/00 at 14:21 (023907)

Mark,

I took up roller blading when I was still unaware of PF was really all about but well after a year of having it. I have to say that it was one of the most painful athletic experiences I've ever had. I keptblaming the pain in my knees and shins on the skates not realizing just how much I was aggravating the PF. It DID NOT help in my situation... in fact it probably worsened it.

Sweetfeet on 7/26/00 at 15:04 (024018)

I just started to rollerblade. It didn't hurt me at all. What is really fun is being able to play again outside.

Terry on 7/25/00 at 08:51 (023879)

Mark, I would think that rollerblading would be good for PF. The calf is stretched and the fascia is held in place, flat against the bottom of the blade. If I were you, I would try to use some kind of an arch support, even if it is an insole from a sneaker. You may need to pull out the sock and then put in the the insole. I have not skated since last winter and am anxious to again. Let us know how it goes for you. Terry

JudyS on 7/25/00 at 09:53 (023885)

The last time I 'bladed was about a year ago when my PF was at its height.....I have to say that the bracket/blades run plum along the fascia so, for me, it was the wrong thing to do. I'm thinking about going for it again now because my PF is quite a bit less. Maybe I'll try a ten-minute experiment...

Rock on 7/25/00 at 12:32 (023898)

Mark R,

If it does not cause you pain the following day, then it is probably an OK activity for you.

Rock.

ChanaW on 7/25/00 at 14:21 (023907)

Mark,

I took up roller blading when I was still unaware of PF was really all about but well after a year of having it. I have to say that it was one of the most painful athletic experiences I've ever had. I keptblaming the pain in my knees and shins on the skates not realizing just how much I was aggravating the PF. It DID NOT help in my situation... in fact it probably worsened it.

Sweetfeet on 7/26/00 at 15:04 (024018)

I just started to rollerblade. It didn't hurt me at all. What is really fun is being able to play again outside.