Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

CPT Coding

Posted by Ted W. on 7/25/00 at 09:49 (023883)

I'm currently writing a tech assessment for a hospital considering purchasing an ESWT device. Does anyone know what CPT codes we could possible use once the device is approved?
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword: all

Re: CPT Coding

Karen K on 7/25/00 at 19:25 (023947)

You may want to contact the company on that question. Is CPT coding anything like ICD-9 codes?
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword:

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/26/00 at 05:31 (023972)

I know of no coding for the exact procedure. There are some doctors trying to use lithotripsy coding in the urology section. My opinion don't use them. There is going to have to be specific new codes created for ESWT . This will have to start with AMA

Re: CPT Coding--for Dr. Zuckerman

Ted on 7/26/00 at 12:40 (024009)

Doctor,

Thanks for your response on CPT coding. Could you explain, then, how you are billing for the ESWT procedures? Do you use an evaluation and managment code?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/26/00 at 15:58 (024029)

I am billing the patients directly at the time of service This is what is being done in Canada

Re: CPT Coding--for Dr. Zuckerman Again

Ted on 7/27/00 at 09:30 (024083)

Dr,

I guess I don't understand what you mean by billing directly at the time of service. Do you hand them a bill and do they pay out of pocket or try to get their insurance to pay for it? I work for a hospital and we are considering the purchase of the Ossatron when it gets FDA approved. My task is to prospectively figure out what kind of reimbursement we would expect per treatment, and I typically use HCFA dollars to do this. Any help you could give would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/00 at 21:27 (024129)

To my knowledge there is no insurance coverage at this time for ESWT
There are no CPT codes that are listed in the manuel except for lithortripy codes for urology and kidney ESWL. I understand what you are asking but i guess only the company healthronics knows the answer

Karen K on 7/25/00 at 19:25 (023947)

You may want to contact the company on that question. Is CPT coding anything like ICD-9 codes?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/26/00 at 05:31 (023972)

I know of no coding for the exact procedure. There are some doctors trying to use lithotripsy coding in the urology section. My opinion don't use them. There is going to have to be specific new codes created for ESWT . This will have to start with AMA

Ted on 7/26/00 at 12:40 (024009)

Doctor,

Thanks for your response on CPT coding. Could you explain, then, how you are billing for the ESWT procedures? Do you use an evaluation and managment code?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/26/00 at 15:58 (024029)

I am billing the patients directly at the time of service This is what is being done in Canada

Ted on 7/27/00 at 09:30 (024083)

Dr,

I guess I don't understand what you mean by billing directly at the time of service. Do you hand them a bill and do they pay out of pocket or try to get their insurance to pay for it? I work for a hospital and we are considering the purchase of the Ossatron when it gets FDA approved. My task is to prospectively figure out what kind of reimbursement we would expect per treatment, and I typically use HCFA dollars to do this. Any help you could give would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/00 at 21:27 (024129)

To my knowledge there is no insurance coverage at this time for ESWT
There are no CPT codes that are listed in the manuel except for lithortripy codes for urology and kidney ESWL. I understand what you are asking but i guess only the company healthronics knows the answer