Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is all arch pain PF ?

Posted by Bruce J on 7/25/00 at 11:12 (023889)

Hello, I believe I have atypical pf since I don't have the usual symptoms. After at least six years , many Drs., orthotics and shoes, I'm still left with arch pain while standing. I guess I would like to know how others have dealt with this or am I alone. Initally I had a bout of PF with typical symptoms but in the past five years it has been mostly arch pain. Some days are almost pain free, just returned from a family euopean trip that gave me little grief and I can bicylce for hours but then out of the blue the discomfort makes it almost impossible to be on my feet. I have yet to see any pattern . I would appreciate hearing from anyone with similar problems.
Thank you, Bruce Jordan

Re: Is all arch pain PF ?

Beverly on 7/25/00 at 11:39 (023891)

My pain is usually worse in the arch than in the heel. I am relatively new to this... 4.5 months.

Beverly

john h on 7/25/00 at 11:43 (023893)

sound like pf to me bruce. typically the pain is where the fascia attaches to the heel (especially the band of fascia from great toe). there seems to be no rhyme or reason for when it comes and goes and where it hurts.

Rock on 7/25/00 at 12:27 (023896)

Bruce J,

There is a great deal of soft tissue just 'above' the plantar fascia that can also be injured.

Keep up that biking, but make sure that your bike fits you really well.

Rock (ironman triathlete and ultra-runner)

JudyS on 7/25/00 at 13:28 (023899)

Bruce, not all arch pain is PF. Not all PF cases have arch pain. I had both arch and heel pain. My arch pain changed to a different location about 4-6 weeks ago - see my post yesterday 'Pod visit....'

To deal with this 'new' pain, I'm working at strengthening my lower-leg and foot muscles.

Helene M on 7/25/00 at 15:13 (023915)

Bruce, you are not alone. My PF is similar to yours. It started 9 yrs ago as typical PF but now it is mainly arch pain & swelling. I, too, have tried many orthotics & shoes.

Beverly on 7/25/00 at 11:39 (023891)

My pain is usually worse in the arch than in the heel. I am relatively new to this... 4.5 months.

Beverly

john h on 7/25/00 at 11:43 (023893)

sound like pf to me bruce. typically the pain is where the fascia attaches to the heel (especially the band of fascia from great toe). there seems to be no rhyme or reason for when it comes and goes and where it hurts.

Rock on 7/25/00 at 12:27 (023896)

Bruce J,

There is a great deal of soft tissue just 'above' the plantar fascia that can also be injured.

Keep up that biking, but make sure that your bike fits you really well.

Rock (ironman triathlete and ultra-runner)

JudyS on 7/25/00 at 13:28 (023899)

Bruce, not all arch pain is PF. Not all PF cases have arch pain. I had both arch and heel pain. My arch pain changed to a different location about 4-6 weeks ago - see my post yesterday 'Pod visit....'

To deal with this 'new' pain, I'm working at strengthening my lower-leg and foot muscles.

Helene M on 7/25/00 at 15:13 (023915)

Bruce, you are not alone. My PF is similar to yours. It started 9 yrs ago as typical PF but now it is mainly arch pain & swelling. I, too, have tried many orthotics & shoes.