Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A certain person

Posted by Karen on 7/25/00 at 21:02 (023959)

Is it just me or is anyone else here getting sick and tired of hearing how great an athlete a certin person on this board (who shall remain nameless) is. Okay, I applaud his ability to run with PF. I personally think he's doing the wrong thing by still running long distances (and yes, 20 miles may be a stroll in the park for him but it is still long mileage for us commoners). The rest of us can barely walk, let alone run and his constant boasting is about to make my head explode. Enough already.

Re: The real heroes are...

Barbara S. on 7/25/00 at 21:23 (023960)

Just to be positive and upbeat, let's list the real heroes of this message board who inspire us rather than drag us down:

People who struggle with pain all day just to put food on the table for their families.

Moms with babies and little children who can't take time out to rest.

Doctors who carefully read the posts and reply because they are compassionate and concerned.

People who are cured and return to the board and offer helpful solutions.

Long-time sufferers who look at their condition with humor and grace and never give up hope.

Thanks!

Re: No one says you have to like everything.

wendyn on 7/25/00 at 22:09 (023963)

A bulletin board is like a smorgasboard. Take what you like and leave what you don't like. Just because you wrinkle up your nose at something doesn't mean it's bad for everyone else. It just means it's not for you.

This is a very friendly bulletin board where people are welcome to share their opinions - to agree and to disagree. I'm not interested in having an exclusive club where only those sharing beliefs similar to my own are free to join.

Postings on boards and emails do not reflect body language or tone of voice. Just because someone perceives a post as 'boasting' does not necessarily make it so. People perceive things in different ways. Sometimes things are perceived in ways that they weren't intended.

So, pick up your plate - select what you want - and leave what you will.

Re: This Board

Bob G. on 7/26/00 at 00:01 (023966)

This Board is like family. We have a lot in common, but we do not always see eye to eye. We all recognize that we are each better off by being a part of this family of PF Sufferers, so like good brothers and sisters we get along or try to get along.

Here it's a give and take and most of us do just that. Some more than others, but we all benefit. It is so EASY to misunderstand each other without the benefit of voice inflections, expressions and body language. Therefore, I TRY to be tolerant, open-minded and considerate, but we are all human. Shucks! :)

Glad to be here (except for the pain). BG

Re: challenging posted info. vs. characterizing posters

Nancy S. on 7/26/00 at 07:05 (023976)

Hi Karen,
I think it's best not to assume knowledge of a person's tone or personality on here. It is too easy to misunderstand and make a mistake in such assumptions.
If you believe someone has posted something that needs challenging or clarifying, by all means do challenge it or try to get it clarified. We all learn from debates like that, debates concerning information.
But there is room here for multi points of view, personalities, backgrounds, experiences. In fact I think the more there are, the likelier it is that a person may help someone -- even if it applies to or helps just one person, it's valid and deserves to be here.
Wishing you well,
--Nancy

Re: A certain person

Kim B. on 7/26/00 at 09:54 (023987)

Karen, I don't even have a clue who you are refering to. Know why? because when I start reading that kind of post, I just skip it and go on to one that I can relate to. (Like Wendyn's smorgishborg analogy). Folks who are able to run long distance marathons without ending up in the hopital obviously don't have the same severity of PF that I have. I simply can't relate to their pain, and I know they can't relate to mine (yet).

So just skip the posts that annoy you, that's what most of us do. The beauty of it is that we are a very democratic family (though I'm a republican myself). We have a real Potpouri going here. Take the best, and leave the rest.

Regards, Kim

john h on 7/26/00 at 10:13 (023993)

ok i admit it i am a great athlete. i sometimes walk a mile and can fire up the stationary bike like you would not believe. i am a real hottie!

Beverly on 7/26/00 at 11:58 (024000)

I'm kind of like Kim on my reading style. If I can't relate, I just skip on over to something else.
Nonathlete that I am, if I can ever get back to being able to sight see on vacation on my feet and spend the day at the mall without pain, I'll be happy. If I get so much better that I can walk risk-free/pain-free on the treadmill for even one mile, I'll be thrilled beyond words.
If I get past two miles, I'll be so estatic I'll be off on a cloud.

So for me when I read about average people who are doing better, that gives me hope, because I can relate to them. On the otherhand, the megajocks need people to relate to too. So there is room for everyone.

Beverly

Nancy S. on 7/26/00 at 13:25 (024014)

Oh John, I knew it had to be you. The constant bragging about your magnificent body, plus about how you have the perfect wife, making the rest of us feel like zeros, has got to stop.

Re: The real heroes are... (FOR BARBARA)

Sharie H on 7/26/00 at 20:03 (024049)

Dear Barbara,

God Bless Your list.... to me, this is what a message board needs. I love your attitude, and compassion.

Thank you
Sharie

Re: A certain person (FOR NANCY RE: JOHN)

Sharie on 7/26/00 at 20:10 (024050)

Nancy, There is NO one who can make ANY of us feel like Zero's. I for one know I am not a zero... hon, no one can MAKE us feel like anything.... it's strictly their trips how they act, what they say. I personally feel 'he' is just trying to ruffle a few feathers. He is probably a nice person but a tad misguided. Don't ever feel someone else can make you what you aren't.... keep your chin up kiddo, and let him do what he wants with his chin. : )

friend
Sharie

Re: This Board (FOR BOB G)

Sharie on 7/26/00 at 20:18 (024052)

Dear Bob,

Your words were wonderfully written.

Thank you for being here.

Sharie

Nancy S. on 7/26/00 at 20:23 (024053)

Hi Sharie -- I was really just kidding John. He mentions his less-than-perfect wife almost daily, and I and a few others can't help responding in sometimes weirdo ways. He's really a gem underneath there, I just know it, but don't tell him I said so.
But thank you for your concern! I've been admiring your gusto ever since you started posting here. How come you didn't come to my house yesterday when I was SO lacking in gusto?
--Nancy

JudyS on 7/26/00 at 21:36 (024062)

Hey Sharie - I know I'm being a real pest - hope you'll forgive me but, it's been two weeks now, how're things going since your surgery?

john a on 7/27/00 at 11:52 (024095)

[ This is meant as no disrespect to anyone, but I couldn't resist! ]

There once was a man with AT,
Whose athletic prowess was key.
His boasts on the Board,
Made him generally abhored,
By those much more wimpy than he!

[ And not one to shrink from self ridicule...]

There once was a bloke named john a,
Who'd rhyme everything that he'd say.
This annoyed all his friends,
Who'd go to no ends,
To get from him farther away!

Ok, I'm done now.

Re: The real heroes are...

Barbara S. on 7/25/00 at 21:23 (023960)

Just to be positive and upbeat, let's list the real heroes of this message board who inspire us rather than drag us down:

People who struggle with pain all day just to put food on the table for their families.

Moms with babies and little children who can't take time out to rest.

Doctors who carefully read the posts and reply because they are compassionate and concerned.

People who are cured and return to the board and offer helpful solutions.

Long-time sufferers who look at their condition with humor and grace and never give up hope.

Thanks!

Re: No one says you have to like everything.

wendyn on 7/25/00 at 22:09 (023963)

A bulletin board is like a smorgasboard. Take what you like and leave what you don't like. Just because you wrinkle up your nose at something doesn't mean it's bad for everyone else. It just means it's not for you.

This is a very friendly bulletin board where people are welcome to share their opinions - to agree and to disagree. I'm not interested in having an exclusive club where only those sharing beliefs similar to my own are free to join.

Postings on boards and emails do not reflect body language or tone of voice. Just because someone perceives a post as 'boasting' does not necessarily make it so. People perceive things in different ways. Sometimes things are perceived in ways that they weren't intended.

So, pick up your plate - select what you want - and leave what you will.

Re: This Board

Bob G. on 7/26/00 at 00:01 (023966)

This Board is like family. We have a lot in common, but we do not always see eye to eye. We all recognize that we are each better off by being a part of this family of PF Sufferers, so like good brothers and sisters we get along or try to get along.

Here it's a give and take and most of us do just that. Some more than others, but we all benefit. It is so EASY to misunderstand each other without the benefit of voice inflections, expressions and body language. Therefore, I TRY to be tolerant, open-minded and considerate, but we are all human. Shucks! :)

Glad to be here (except for the pain). BG

Re: challenging posted info. vs. characterizing posters

Nancy S. on 7/26/00 at 07:05 (023976)

Hi Karen,
I think it's best not to assume knowledge of a person's tone or personality on here. It is too easy to misunderstand and make a mistake in such assumptions.
If you believe someone has posted something that needs challenging or clarifying, by all means do challenge it or try to get it clarified. We all learn from debates like that, debates concerning information.
But there is room here for multi points of view, personalities, backgrounds, experiences. In fact I think the more there are, the likelier it is that a person may help someone -- even if it applies to or helps just one person, it's valid and deserves to be here.
Wishing you well,
--Nancy

Kim B. on 7/26/00 at 09:54 (023987)

Karen, I don't even have a clue who you are refering to. Know why? because when I start reading that kind of post, I just skip it and go on to one that I can relate to. (Like Wendyn's smorgishborg analogy). Folks who are able to run long distance marathons without ending up in the hopital obviously don't have the same severity of PF that I have. I simply can't relate to their pain, and I know they can't relate to mine (yet).

So just skip the posts that annoy you, that's what most of us do. The beauty of it is that we are a very democratic family (though I'm a republican myself). We have a real Potpouri going here. Take the best, and leave the rest.

Regards, Kim

john h on 7/26/00 at 10:13 (023993)

ok i admit it i am a great athlete. i sometimes walk a mile and can fire up the stationary bike like you would not believe. i am a real hottie!

Beverly on 7/26/00 at 11:58 (024000)

I'm kind of like Kim on my reading style. If I can't relate, I just skip on over to something else.
Nonathlete that I am, if I can ever get back to being able to sight see on vacation on my feet and spend the day at the mall without pain, I'll be happy. If I get so much better that I can walk risk-free/pain-free on the treadmill for even one mile, I'll be thrilled beyond words.
If I get past two miles, I'll be so estatic I'll be off on a cloud.

So for me when I read about average people who are doing better, that gives me hope, because I can relate to them. On the otherhand, the megajocks need people to relate to too. So there is room for everyone.

Beverly

Nancy S. on 7/26/00 at 13:25 (024014)

Oh John, I knew it had to be you. The constant bragging about your magnificent body, plus about how you have the perfect wife, making the rest of us feel like zeros, has got to stop.

Sharie H on 7/26/00 at 20:03 (024049)

Dear Barbara,

God Bless Your list.... to me, this is what a message board needs. I love your attitude, and compassion.

Thank you
Sharie

Sharie on 7/26/00 at 20:10 (024050)

Nancy, There is NO one who can make ANY of us feel like Zero's. I for one know I am not a zero... hon, no one can MAKE us feel like anything.... it's strictly their trips how they act, what they say. I personally feel 'he' is just trying to ruffle a few feathers. He is probably a nice person but a tad misguided. Don't ever feel someone else can make you what you aren't.... keep your chin up kiddo, and let him do what he wants with his chin. : )

friend
Sharie

Re: This Board (FOR BOB G)

Sharie on 7/26/00 at 20:18 (024052)

Dear Bob,

Your words were wonderfully written.

Thank you for being here.

Sharie

Nancy S. on 7/26/00 at 20:23 (024053)

Hi Sharie -- I was really just kidding John. He mentions his less-than-perfect wife almost daily, and I and a few others can't help responding in sometimes weirdo ways. He's really a gem underneath there, I just know it, but don't tell him I said so.
But thank you for your concern! I've been admiring your gusto ever since you started posting here. How come you didn't come to my house yesterday when I was SO lacking in gusto?
--Nancy

JudyS on 7/26/00 at 21:36 (024062)

Hey Sharie - I know I'm being a real pest - hope you'll forgive me but, it's been two weeks now, how're things going since your surgery?

john a on 7/27/00 at 11:52 (024095)

[ This is meant as no disrespect to anyone, but I couldn't resist! ]

There once was a man with AT,
Whose athletic prowess was key.
His boasts on the Board,
Made him generally abhored,
By those much more wimpy than he!

[ And not one to shrink from self ridicule...]

There once was a bloke named john a,
Who'd rhyme everything that he'd say.
This annoyed all his friends,