Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pilates, casts, and new wheelchair

Posted by JanC on 7/26/00 at 12:08 (024003)

Greeting fellow sufferers! I'm in San Diego and am interested in getting a local support group together. If you'd like to be a part or have any suggestions about doing so, please email me (jcooper@gers.com).
I've suffered for (only) a year now. Have tried PT (icing, massage, stretching, electro stim, ultrasound...all made me worse), pills...am now in a velcro, removable cast and wheelchair.
I've heard about Pilates and would like to get in touch with anyone who as any experience or knowledge about it. I'm willing to drop the $300 for the machine but only if I'm able to move the machine around myself and only if I can get enough feedback that tells me it is at all effective. At this point stretching may be the only for of exercise I can get and might help releave the emotional frustration. I can no longer walk to the pool at my gym. Please advise if you know anything about Pilates.
Finally, can anyone recommend a good ped. or orthopedic surgeon in San Diego? I think it's time to try someone new.
Thanks for listening....and good luck to all of you out there!

Re: Pilates, casts, and new wheelchair

alan k on 7/26/00 at 12:33 (024006)

My pilates machine has been a great comfort to me.

For specifically foot rehabilation, the pilates may help pf The same results, in fact better, could be had for a much cheaper foot exerciser. The pilates is great if you are in need of total body exercise and can't make it to a swimming pool. You can do pilates without any strain on the feet, or with controlled resistance to feet.

IF you are looking for total body toning it is worth it. For only the feet, a foot strengthener is cheaper.

alan k

Re: Pilates, casts, and new wheelchair

alan k on 7/26/00 at 12:33 (024006)

My pilates machine has been a great comfort to me.

For specifically foot rehabilation, the pilates may help pf The same results, in fact better, could be had for a much cheaper foot exerciser. The pilates is great if you are in need of total body exercise and can't make it to a swimming pool. You can do pilates without any strain on the feet, or with controlled resistance to feet.

IF you are looking for total body toning it is worth it. For only the feet, a foot strengthener is cheaper.

alan k