Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Z, You mentioned Intramuscular sterioid injection...

Posted by Kim B. on 7/26/00 at 15:49 (024027)

And my quesion is this, if I was given a cortizine shot in my rump for bronchitis and URI, would my feet respond to that cortizone?

Regards, and thank you for your charitable contribution to this board, Kim B.

Re: Dr. Z, You mentioned Intramuscular sterioid injection...

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/26/00 at 16:02 (024030)

I have seen many patients that I give cortizone IM injections get relief in the foot, back and any other joints . Remember it is a local and systemic drug. It does work. This is only a one time injecion. I like to use this for patients that have alot of pain and a very sensitive foot just to touch. No way needle is going to help them on that visit in the foot. So the answer is yes to your question

Re: Dr. Z, About getting it in the rear...

Beverly on 7/26/00 at 18:24 (024041)

Dr. Z,
I like the sound of that shot alot better in the rearí
My worst pain is in the arch... very painful... tender to the touch. If I were to get the shot in the rear, would it have as much potential benefit... lasting effects as in the foot? Also, does that reduce the risk of a rupture?
Thank you,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/26/00 at 18:31 (024042)

I am not sure about which is better and longer lasting. I don't know
of any literature supporting this. I do know that I have done this with good results in the limited amount of times used. I would use
depo-medrol 20mg injection. The risk of rupture is reduced. I would also consider a posterior nerve block if your pain is in the arch area on the bottom of the foot. There is very little pain with this injection. If is done at the ankle level. The effect is increase circulation. reduction of pain, spasms . It is called the epidural of the foot. I performed hundreds of pt injections for pf, cramping,
poor circulation and for foot surgery . It provides profound anesthesia for foot surgery

Re: Dr. Z, About getting it in the rear...More to Dr. Z...

Beverly on 7/26/00 at 22:12 (024065)

Dr Z,

Would that nerve block shot be any good by itself or is it just a temporary thing?

I'm going to give myself a few more months, but I will seriously consider getting a cortizone shot in the rear. That sounds so much less scary than in the foot - especially if it reduces the rupture risk. Some years back I had a cortizone shot in the hip to clear up ear congestion. I don't remember it hurting beyond a mild burn. Do you think that is the same kind of cortizone?

I am at the 4.5 month point, and I have just now begun stretching. What I feared so much, stretching, is turning out to be a good thing. I am still on a learning curve for good and bad stretches. For instance, I do well with the passive ones, but hanging off even a thin book was not good at all...lingering pain. Yet, I am encouraged, because I can now do passive stretches without pain. Even six weeks ago, I could not stand even a tiny stretch. Now I can hold to the count of 5 and do a routine of various passive stretches, plus ankle circles and towel scrunches.

Is there a point at which the value of the shot decreases... letting too many months go by? Would I get more benefit now while I am still fairly new in this PF pain, and at times in acute pain, or would it be better after I get more healing/less pain from the physical therapy and time?

Thank you for all you do.
Beverly

PS: I have this in both feet. But I don't work on my feet. I spend very little time on my feet. So, I have a plus and a minus going for me.
My orthopedic surgeon says that 90-95% of PF patients recover within a year. Do you agree? Has that been your experience?

Kim B. on 7/26/00 at 23:24 (024067)

Beverly, I have heard that hanging off the book is a very bad idea. Do a search on 'book' or 'hanging' and you'll maybe you'll get the feedback. I think you should look into a stretching device i.e. the Footflex (Bob G. uses and is) shown at the front page of this site in the products area. I have ordered the 'Calf Stretch Flex' device from the feelgoodfast.com site, but it is on back order. That can be a good sign meaning it is popular amoung runners and that is why it is out of stock. I should get it around the first week of August. I'll let you know. They guarantee all their products, so if it's a dud, I can, and will, return it. The premise of why a device like this is better than hanging off a book or stair is that there is better support and alignment and less chance of creating a secondary injury. Just food for thought. I am still thinking about ordering the PFT too. (btw, your subject line is a little humm, provocotive girl! Haha! And I thought you were a good old fashioned country girl. ha ha!)

Dr. Z. I had a cortizone (of some kind) injection in the rump because of a upper respitory infection just about 14 days ago. I noticed no significant disappearance of foot problems so I wonder if it is a difference in the actual cortozone or if my foot problems simply don't respond to the cortizone. It definately cleared up the UPI about 90%. There was antibiotic in the shot as well. On the other hand, a couple of years ago, I responded to cortizone injection in the elbo for combined tennis and golfer's tendonitis. As you can see I have mixed results and can't find a strong indicator to go by regarding the shots.

Regards, Kim B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/00 at 21:30 (024131)

Are you sure that you weren't given an antibiotic injection and not a steriod injection for an URI condition. ???? Anyway we do know that you did get some kind of relief with a steriod in your elbow. So why not try the foot.????

Re: Dr.Z.

Kim B. on 7/28/00 at 20:35 (024205)

That was my same feeling, regarding the golfers and tennis elbow situation... It worked in the elbow, so... However, different Doc and it was a few years ago, so, not knowing how many kinds of sterioid type meds there are to inject, I wouldn't assume it would be the VERY SAME med. Oh well.

Actually, my feet are on the upswing, Yea! But my fibro (FM) is acting up. Today I saw my internist, he gave me trigger point injections in the neck and arms. We are leaving my feet alone for the moment. The TX Traction athletic shoes ARE defiantely helping, so we are going to let that sleeping dog lie for the moment. (so to speak)

And, yes, the injection I got for the URI was antibiotic AND a steroid. (I was pretty bad off, needed a healing jumpstart.) I took a copy of the (CareNow facility) Doc's notes so that my internist could see what kind of steriod I've already been pumped with once this month. I couldn't read the doc's scribble, but it made sense to my internist. Just making sure that the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.

And, my internist wrote me a RX for Physical Threapy to evaluate and treat cervical myalgia, PF and fibromyalgia. He also gave me some meds. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for all your input Dr. Z.

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Dr. Z, You mentioned Intramuscular sterioid injection...

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/26/00 at 16:02 (024030)

I have seen many patients that I give cortizone IM injections get relief in the foot, back and any other joints . Remember it is a local and systemic drug. It does work. This is only a one time injecion. I like to use this for patients that have alot of pain and a very sensitive foot just to touch. No way needle is going to help them on that visit in the foot. So the answer is yes to your question

Beverly on 7/26/00 at 18:24 (024041)

Dr. Z,
I like the sound of that shot alot better in the rearí
My worst pain is in the arch... very painful... tender to the touch. If I were to get the shot in the rear, would it have as much potential benefit... lasting effects as in the foot? Also, does that reduce the risk of a rupture?
Thank you,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/26/00 at 18:31 (024042)

I am not sure about which is better and longer lasting. I don't know
of any literature supporting this. I do know that I have done this with good results in the limited amount of times used. I would use
depo-medrol 20mg injection. The risk of rupture is reduced. I would also consider a posterior nerve block if your pain is in the arch area on the bottom of the foot. There is very little pain with this injection. If is done at the ankle level. The effect is increase circulation. reduction of pain, spasms . It is called the epidural of the foot. I performed hundreds of pt injections for pf, cramping,
poor circulation and for foot surgery . It provides profound anesthesia for foot surgery

Beverly on 7/26/00 at 22:12 (024065)

Dr Z,

Would that nerve block shot be any good by itself or is it just a temporary thing?

I'm going to give myself a few more months, but I will seriously consider getting a cortizone shot in the rear. That sounds so much less scary than in the foot - especially if it reduces the rupture risk. Some years back I had a cortizone shot in the hip to clear up ear congestion. I don't remember it hurting beyond a mild burn. Do you think that is the same kind of cortizone?

I am at the 4.5 month point, and I have just now begun stretching. What I feared so much, stretching, is turning out to be a good thing. I am still on a learning curve for good and bad stretches. For instance, I do well with the passive ones, but hanging off even a thin book was not good at all...lingering pain. Yet, I am encouraged, because I can now do passive stretches without pain. Even six weeks ago, I could not stand even a tiny stretch. Now I can hold to the count of 5 and do a routine of various passive stretches, plus ankle circles and towel scrunches.

Is there a point at which the value of the shot decreases... letting too many months go by? Would I get more benefit now while I am still fairly new in this PF pain, and at times in acute pain, or would it be better after I get more healing/less pain from the physical therapy and time?

Thank you for all you do.
Beverly

PS: I have this in both feet. But I don't work on my feet. I spend very little time on my feet. So, I have a plus and a minus going for me.
My orthopedic surgeon says that 90-95% of PF patients recover within a year. Do you agree? Has that been your experience?

Kim B. on 7/26/00 at 23:24 (024067)

Beverly, I have heard that hanging off the book is a very bad idea. Do a search on 'book' or 'hanging' and you'll maybe you'll get the feedback. I think you should look into a stretching device i.e. the Footflex (Bob G. uses and is) shown at the front page of this site in the products area. I have ordered the 'Calf Stretch Flex' device from the feelgoodfast.com site, but it is on back order. That can be a good sign meaning it is popular amoung runners and that is why it is out of stock. I should get it around the first week of August. I'll let you know. They guarantee all their products, so if it's a dud, I can, and will, return it. The premise of why a device like this is better than hanging off a book or stair is that there is better support and alignment and less chance of creating a secondary injury. Just food for thought. I am still thinking about ordering the PFT too. (btw, your subject line is a little humm, provocotive girl! Haha! And I thought you were a good old fashioned country girl. ha ha!)

Dr. Z. I had a cortizone (of some kind) injection in the rump because of a upper respitory infection just about 14 days ago. I noticed no significant disappearance of foot problems so I wonder if it is a difference in the actual cortozone or if my foot problems simply don't respond to the cortizone. It definately cleared up the UPI about 90%. There was antibiotic in the shot as well. On the other hand, a couple of years ago, I responded to cortizone injection in the elbo for combined tennis and golfer's tendonitis. As you can see I have mixed results and can't find a strong indicator to go by regarding the shots.

Regards, Kim B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/00 at 21:30 (024131)

Are you sure that you weren't given an antibiotic injection and not a steriod injection for an URI condition. ???? Anyway we do know that you did get some kind of relief with a steriod in your elbow. So why not try the foot.????

Re: Dr.Z.

Kim B. on 7/28/00 at 20:35 (024205)

That was my same feeling, regarding the golfers and tennis elbow situation... It worked in the elbow, so... However, different Doc and it was a few years ago, so, not knowing how many kinds of sterioid type meds there are to inject, I wouldn't assume it would be the VERY SAME med. Oh well.

Actually, my feet are on the upswing, Yea! But my fibro (FM) is acting up. Today I saw my internist, he gave me trigger point injections in the neck and arms. We are leaving my feet alone for the moment. The TX Traction athletic shoes ARE defiantely helping, so we are going to let that sleeping dog lie for the moment. (so to speak)

And, yes, the injection I got for the URI was antibiotic AND a steroid. (I was pretty bad off, needed a healing jumpstart.) I took a copy of the (CareNow facility) Doc's notes so that my internist could see what kind of steriod I've already been pumped with once this month. I couldn't read the doc's scribble, but it made sense to my internist. Just making sure that the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.

And, my internist wrote me a RX for Physical Threapy to evaluate and treat cervical myalgia, PF and fibromyalgia. He also gave me some meds. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for all your input Dr. Z.

Regards, Kim B.