Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Darn this condition

Posted by Barbara on 7/26/00 at 19:47 (024046)

I never hated this condition so much as when my husband asked me to go to Home Depot with him. I usually just go for the car ride and wait for him in the car while he does his thing inside the store. But it turns out that our Home Depot has wheel chairs you can borrow. Well, he offered to wheel me around the store. I loved being able to shop with him again. I HATED how I had to do it. It did leave me with a deep respect and awe of truly disabled people.

Re: Darn this condition

Karen S on 7/26/00 at 20:02 (024048)

I can truly relate to that. I'm still in a cast from surgery and rented a wheelchair. I tell you it has taught me just how difficult things are for the disabled. From getting into a bathroom in one to trying to get things off a shelf etc. It also amazes me just how ignorant some people are by not holding open doors to trying to jump in front of you so they can in a store fast. I will definately respect the disabled more and go out of my way to help as well.

Nancy S. on 7/26/00 at 20:12 (024051)

Hi Barbara,
Ah yes, the Home Depot experience! I remember it well! I also sat in the truck and waited . . . until last December, my husband said Come on, use the automatic scooter in there. I'd never used one and felt so embarrassed, but I got over it real fast. It was really quite a trip. I had all kinds of minor mishaps and near-misses, because I'd never used a scooter in my life, but it was fun -- helluva lot better than waiting in the truck or hobbling around in Cement City only to regret it for a week afterward. Does your Depot have the scooters? To me it meant freedom, and I lost the false pride right away (useless). I use them at the grocery store now if I need to. I feel like anyone else in there. Go for it!
--Nancy
p.s. An honest mistake: I ran over my husband's foot. But I guarantee you, we got along better that way than if he'd been in control of a wheelchair.

JudyS on 7/26/00 at 22:05 (024064)

Ah Karen - I'm with you on that! Being an avid do-it-yourselfer, I practically live at Home Depot (my girlfriends say I should register there for all future gifts!. So when I was casted and on crutches last February, there I was, hobbling in to HD a few times a week. I didn't even know they had motorized chairs! But I'll tell you what, while there were a few folks who didn't think to hold the door, there were tons more who did everything for me but my dishes at home! Even complete strangers were willing to reach things for me or push my cart. I was very impressed with staff and customers alike in that store! One clerk even said he'd seen me in there regularly so he wanted to help as much as he could! I wonder what they call a Home Depot 'regular'?

Barbara on 7/27/00 at 08:08 (024075)

My Home Depot doesn't have scooters, just the regular type of wheel chair with a basket attachment. I couldn't wheel around myself too much, because I have tennis elbow...so, my husband gave me the grand tour. I just wish Costco had them!

Suzi D on 7/27/00 at 08:46 (024081)

I hear all of you! I started using a cane last Saturday. After a major move to a new state, severe pain, new ortho guy who gave me a heel cup (gee thanks) I've decided to use a cane. It has given me great relief and freedom. I got over 'being different' when my husband said, 'Hey there Speedy. Slow down.' Music to my ears. I also have a new appreciation for anyone who is 'different'. Before the cane I was in K-Mart gimping about very slowly as I was in major pain. There were two guys behind me, in a hurry with their beer, on their way to the checkout counter. They flew around me, one on each side and as they joined together in front of me, one said to the other, 'You should have just run her over.' I was devestated. Hurt. And finally mad. If I had had my cane at that time, most likely they wouldn't have said anything. But, then again, if they did, I'd of had a weapon! 8-) Hoping everyone finds their own magic, sooner or later. Suzi

Trish on 7/27/00 at 19:34 (024122)

Sounds like a possible perk of having PF......a free Bumper Car ride!! It sounds really appealing and sounds a great solution to that whole experience! (been there, done that!)

Karen S on 7/26/00 at 20:02 (024048)

I can truly relate to that. I'm still in a cast from surgery and rented a wheelchair. I tell you it has taught me just how difficult things are for the disabled. From getting into a bathroom in one to trying to get things off a shelf etc. It also amazes me just how ignorant some people are by not holding open doors to trying to jump in front of you so they can in a store fast. I will definately respect the disabled more and go out of my way to help as well.

Nancy S. on 7/26/00 at 20:12 (024051)

Hi Barbara,
Ah yes, the Home Depot experience! I remember it well! I also sat in the truck and waited . . . until last December, my husband said Come on, use the automatic scooter in there. I'd never used one and felt so embarrassed, but I got over it real fast. It was really quite a trip. I had all kinds of minor mishaps and near-misses, because I'd never used a scooter in my life, but it was fun -- helluva lot better than waiting in the truck or hobbling around in Cement City only to regret it for a week afterward. Does your Depot have the scooters? To me it meant freedom, and I lost the false pride right away (useless). I use them at the grocery store now if I need to. I feel like anyone else in there. Go for it!
--Nancy
p.s. An honest mistake: I ran over my husband's foot. But I guarantee you, we got along better that way than if he'd been in control of a wheelchair.

JudyS on 7/26/00 at 22:05 (024064)

Ah Karen - I'm with you on that! Being an avid do-it-yourselfer, I practically live at Home Depot (my girlfriends say I should register there for all future gifts!. So when I was casted and on crutches last February, there I was, hobbling in to HD a few times a week. I didn't even know they had motorized chairs! But I'll tell you what, while there were a few folks who didn't think to hold the door, there were tons more who did everything for me but my dishes at home! Even complete strangers were willing to reach things for me or push my cart. I was very impressed with staff and customers alike in that store! One clerk even said he'd seen me in there regularly so he wanted to help as much as he could! I wonder what they call a Home Depot 'regular'?

Barbara on 7/27/00 at 08:08 (024075)

My Home Depot doesn't have scooters, just the regular type of wheel chair with a basket attachment. I couldn't wheel around myself too much, because I have tennis elbow...so, my husband gave me the grand tour. I just wish Costco had them!

Suzi D on 7/27/00 at 08:46 (024081)

I hear all of you! I started using a cane last Saturday. After a major move to a new state, severe pain, new ortho guy who gave me a heel cup (gee thanks) I've decided to use a cane. It has given me great relief and freedom. I got over 'being different' when my husband said, 'Hey there Speedy. Slow down.' Music to my ears. I also have a new appreciation for anyone who is 'different'. Before the cane I was in K-Mart gimping about very slowly as I was in major pain. There were two guys behind me, in a hurry with their beer, on their way to the checkout counter. They flew around me, one on each side and as they joined together in front of me, one said to the other, 'You should have just run her over.' I was devestated. Hurt. And finally mad. If I had had my cane at that time, most likely they wouldn't have said anything. But, then again, if they did, I'd of had a weapon! 8-) Hoping everyone finds their own magic, sooner or later. Suzi

Trish on 7/27/00 at 19:34 (024122)

Sounds like a possible perk of having PF......a free Bumper Car ride!! It sounds really appealing and sounds a great solution to that whole experience! (been there, done that!)