Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birks........"real birks" vs. "Papillio" vs. "birkis" etc.

Posted by Trish on 7/27/00 at 19:32 (024121)

I recently have ordered 3 different pairs of birks from the German web-site. For the past 9 years, I have mostly been wearing Birkenstock
Arizona or Florida. I have a new pair of 'Florida' Papillio in which the footbed feels significantly different than the 'Florida' Birkenstock. Yesterday I got another pair from the German website; 'Florida' Birkenstock, and they feel great.......just like my old ones (and only $42 Canadian including all taxes, delivery, etc...everything!). The Birkis feel QUITE different from all the above (plus I had to send them back and get a size bigger than usual).
Comments, anyone?
P.s. Nancy and Bob G.........hope you're feeling better!!

Re: Birks........"real birks" vs. "Papillio" vs. "birkis" etc.

Betsy P on 7/28/00 at 09:48 (024152)

Trish,
I just started wearing my first pair so I'm not an expert on Birks. I did receive a catalog from birkenstockcetral.com which did note that if you order Birki's you need to order a size larger. They also made that note for Footprints and Oklahoma from Tatami.

I'm not sure why the footbeds are different. My shoes are 'Iceland' Birki's which I was told were about the same as the traditional 'Arizona.' Since I haven't worn Birks before, I'm assuming the footbeds are normal...at least they look the same as other footbeds I've seen.

By the way, how long did it take for you to get you shoes from the German site? Did you have it sent land/sea or air?

Trish on 7/28/00 at 09:53 (024153)

It took about 6 - 7 wks. via land. When I had to return the Birkis, I sent them airmail which cost $17 Canadian. So if you're not in a rush, surface mail is the way to go......the ones I got this week cost only $42 Canadian, including everything (that's about $30 US).

Lori E. on 7/28/00 at 17:22 (024188)

I got my birks from the German site in 3 weeks. I had them sent by air mail. I got the Tatami Kansas sandals and the birkies noppy massage sandals. I have high arches and the Kansas ones fit perfectly. They feel so good that I ordered the Tatami Oklahoma clogs. The noppies really hurt my feet, so I am sending them back. I was told by the service team person that they will credit my account once the get them and will apply that amount to my next order. I like getting them by air mail, the money loses out vs. waiting 3 months.

Betsy P on 7/28/00 at 09:48 (024152)

Trish,
I just started wearing my first pair so I'm not an expert on Birks. I did receive a catalog from birkenstockcetral.com which did note that if you order Birki's you need to order a size larger. They also made that note for Footprints and Oklahoma from Tatami.

I'm not sure why the footbeds are different. My shoes are 'Iceland' Birki's which I was told were about the same as the traditional 'Arizona.' Since I haven't worn Birks before, I'm assuming the footbeds are normal...at least they look the same as other footbeds I've seen.

By the way, how long did it take for you to get you shoes from the German site? Did you have it sent land/sea or air?

Trish on 7/28/00 at 09:53 (024153)

It took about 6 - 7 wks. via land. When I had to return the Birkis, I sent them airmail which cost $17 Canadian. So if you're not in a rush, surface mail is the way to go......the ones I got this week cost only $42 Canadian, including everything (that's about $30 US).

Lori E. on 7/28/00 at 17:22 (024188)

I got my birks from the German site in 3 weeks. I had them sent by air mail. I got the Tatami Kansas sandals and the birkies noppy massage sandals. I have high arches and the Kansas ones fit perfectly. They feel so good that I ordered the Tatami Oklahoma clogs. The noppies really hurt my feet, so I am sending them back. I was told by the service team person that they will credit my account once the get them and will apply that amount to my next order. I like getting them by air mail, the money loses out vs. waiting 3 months.