Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I think I have mentally given in...

Posted by cindyp on 7/27/00 at 20:15 (024123)

I don't know maybe I have mentally surrendered. It seems to be a slow progression to worsening in the pain and effects department. I have searched the internet from stem to stern (maybe not looking in the right places?)and I cannot find another suffering with what I have. I have found some references to magazines that may have articles on it but cannot find the magazines on line. ClinicalPOdiatry Med/Surg, Journal of Foot Surgery, and others. I dont' know I have contemplated starting to use crutches because my gait is so scewed and I am afraid I am going to fall. May make it better?

Re: Thinking about crutches

Bob G. on 7/28/00 at 00:04 (024134)

Hello Cindyp,

If crutches help, they may be a great idea. Anything to stop reinjury. I think I would do the same. BG

john h on 7/28/00 at 09:00 (024145)

like many of you i have and continue to try everything for my feet. my next option is ESWT which i plan to give a go in august and probably with dr zuckermann. the flight from little rock to new jersey is not inexpensive but since some people are being cured with this treatment.how can one continue to suffer and not give ESWT a try since i have never heard or read of any downside to this treatment. the last time i was in new jersey i was flying DC-6's to Paris,London,Athens,Rome,etc out of McQuire AFB. My feet did not hurt and i could run like the wind. times do change. concerning crutches they really suck! after my foot surgery i used them for about 3 weeks. you had better really practice before you start them full time. I bought a pair of aluminum crutches that had spring shock absorbers and reduced the shock load on your wrist about 75%. if you are going to use crutches they are the only way to go.

Re: I think I have mentally given in...

Nancy S. on 7/28/00 at 12:37 (024169)

Cindy, have you tried using a cane? Your problem is mainly with one foot, right? My PF in left foot was dreadful for many months, and a good (adjustable) cane helped A LOT. If you have it at the right height and walk with it close to your body, it can take a great deal of pressure/weight off your painful foot. It also is good for swatting people who get out of line in any way. I wish I'd had it with me for my last ex-pod appointment. --Nancy

Re: acupuncture

alan k on 7/28/00 at 13:45 (024172)

Have you tried acupuncture?

I have had a neuroma like thing on a nerve running into my second toe, but not between the toes as in classic neuroma, and through acupuncture and increased exercise in going back to yoga,
this has largely passed away. I am not sure what it was but it seems to be relatively gone now. The increase in energy to the feet through exercise and acupuncture could help with what you have.

good luck,

alan k

Suzi D on 7/29/00 at 11:11 (024229)

Nancy, I agree about the cane. I started using one a week ago. I went throught the shots, wraps, pt, inserts, cast and the cane is a lifesaver. It takes off so much pressure! It gives you so much freedom. Someone on the board said they trace the alphabet with their bad foot before they get out of bed. I now do that and use the cane as soon as my little pf foot hits the floor. I've been able to get to the bathroom in the morning, after a week of cane using, without extreme pain. I highly recommend a cane for support and mental health. It's not the miracle cure, but, it sure helps. I've also just started using an Ace foot brace, which I can feel a good amount of support from. A friend recommended them.

andrew r on 8/02/00 at 20:09 (024476)

Hi cindy, I suggest you be very cautious about using crutches. Make sure that your doctors and physical therapists agree. I started using crutches four years ago, and I haven't been able to stop! As I become progressively more gentle on my foot, it becomes progressively weaker, and the underlying pain persists. It also becomes much harder to keep the tissues loose and flexible, an important issue with PF. Good luck!

Bob G. on 7/28/00 at 00:04 (024134)

Hello Cindyp,

If crutches help, they may be a great idea. Anything to stop reinjury. I think I would do the same. BG

john h on 7/28/00 at 09:00 (024145)

like many of you i have and continue to try everything for my feet. my next option is ESWT which i plan to give a go in august and probably with dr zuckermann. the flight from little rock to new jersey is not inexpensive but since some people are being cured with this treatment.how can one continue to suffer and not give ESWT a try since i have never heard or read of any downside to this treatment. the last time i was in new jersey i was flying DC-6's to Paris,London,Athens,Rome,etc out of McQuire AFB. My feet did not hurt and i could run like the wind. times do change. concerning crutches they really suck! after my foot surgery i used them for about 3 weeks. you had better really practice before you start them full time. I bought a pair of aluminum crutches that had spring shock absorbers and reduced the shock load on your wrist about 75%. if you are going to use crutches they are the only way to go.

Nancy S. on 7/28/00 at 12:37 (024169)

Cindy, have you tried using a cane? Your problem is mainly with one foot, right? My PF in left foot was dreadful for many months, and a good (adjustable) cane helped A LOT. If you have it at the right height and walk with it close to your body, it can take a great deal of pressure/weight off your painful foot. It also is good for swatting people who get out of line in any way. I wish I'd had it with me for my last ex-pod appointment. --Nancy

Re: acupuncture

alan k on 7/28/00 at 13:45 (024172)

Have you tried acupuncture?

I have had a neuroma like thing on a nerve running into my second toe, but not between the toes as in classic neuroma, and through acupuncture and increased exercise in going back to yoga,
this has largely passed away. I am not sure what it was but it seems to be relatively gone now. The increase in energy to the feet through exercise and acupuncture could help with what you have.

good luck,

alan k

Suzi D on 7/29/00 at 11:11 (024229)

Nancy, I agree about the cane. I started using one a week ago. I went throught the shots, wraps, pt, inserts, cast and the cane is a lifesaver. It takes off so much pressure! It gives you so much freedom. Someone on the board said they trace the alphabet with their bad foot before they get out of bed. I now do that and use the cane as soon as my little pf foot hits the floor. I've been able to get to the bathroom in the morning, after a week of cane using, without extreme pain. I highly recommend a cane for support and mental health. It's not the miracle cure, but, it sure helps. I've also just started using an Ace foot brace, which I can feel a good amount of support from. A friend recommended them.

andrew r on 8/02/00 at 20:09 (024476)

Hi cindy, I suggest you be very cautious about using crutches. Make sure that your doctors and physical therapists agree. I started using crutches four years ago, and I haven't been able to stop! As I become progressively more gentle on my foot, it becomes progressively weaker, and the underlying pain persists. It also becomes much harder to keep the tissues loose and flexible, an important issue with PF. Good luck!