Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ever have tingling sensations?

Posted by Jan on 7/28/00 at 12:18 (024166)

I'm in a velcor boot (4 weeks now) and I've noticed in the last 2-3 weeks that I have this strange tingling sensation (when boot is off). If I so much as touch the skin on the bottom of my foot it feels like a small electrical surge (like if you accidently zap yourself on an outlet at home). This is different from the normal nail-in-my-heel or throbbing pain and it is across a larger surface area of the fascia.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone else experiencing this? It's new and the other 'normal' pf pain has been there a year.

Re: Ever have tingling sensations?

alan k on 7/28/00 at 13:59 (024174)

There could be any number of explanations of this, but the important thing is to see a doctor right away about it. Could be due to an easily correctable vitamin deficiency (b-12) or overdose (b-6) or several other things. Many people report tingling sensations with the use of casts, etc, and I am not sure what the explanation is in those cases, or of course who knows whether what you are experiencing is the same or different from those cases. It is very important to attend to these things early. This can be a simple thing to remedy now but not a good thing to let go for long at all.

alan k

Lori E. on 7/28/00 at 17:16 (024187)

I have had tingling sensations too. I think they were from wearing my orthidics with fake birkenstock sandals. I saw my pod about it and she said that this sensation is usually due to something mechanical going on with your foot,e.g. you foot being in the wrong postion or pressure on your foot that it is not used to. My tingling went away, and only returns occasionally (after not wearing my birks for a day or so,) but it is only mild. When it first happened to me, it freaked me out, but it went away after a few weeks. I suggest you go see your doctor and let him/her know about it and assess the situation with you. Good luck.

Beverly on 7/29/00 at 10:59 (024228)

I wore a walking boot for a short while (less than a week). I stopped wearing it, because it was making my foot tingle, feel warm, and go semi-numb. However, I stayed in it until x-rays were done to confirm that I did not have a fracture or any other reason that would neccessitate the boot. For me, the boot was optional. It made me feel worse, and so I ditched it after getting a second opinion from a different pod who did not think I needed to wear it. I did find that if I loosened the straps it was not quite as bad. I too think you should see your doctor. One thing I'd want to find out is does the boot fit right? Did you get the right size? Is it laced up to the right degree of tension, ect... My symptoms were not as extreme as yours. It was more of a pins and needles tingling sensation.

I have also experienced this with some inserts and shoes.

Good luck and I hope you get to see your doctor soon,
Beverly

Suzi D on 7/29/00 at 11:20 (024232)

Add me to the tingling list. After I had worn the boot for a while, stopped and then wore it during stressful times. That's when the tingling started in my foot. I wondered if the straps were too tight, too. I finally stopped wearing it because it ended up causing more pain on the whole bottom of my foot instead of easing the pain like it had in the beginning. Not as bad as yours though. Thank goodness. hope you're feeling better soon. Try a cane.

Pauline on 7/30/00 at 08:37 (024281)

I relate my tingling with more inflammation in my feet. When it goes
up my feet tingle and the skin feels stretched tight. When the tingling goes away my inflammation is down slightly.

Richard, C.Ped on 8/01/00 at 16:20 (024347)

Hi Jan,
I know I told you that I would try to find an answer for you ASAP, then the web site goes down. I'm sorry! I agree with Alan on this one. Please see your physician about the tingling. I have had patients referred to me with the same symptoms, but they have been diagnosed already. In fact, I had one in just last Friday. Again, please see your physician ASAP.
Good luck, I hope it is not serious.
Richard, C.Ped

alan k on 7/28/00 at 13:59 (024174)

There could be any number of explanations of this, but the important thing is to see a doctor right away about it. Could be due to an easily correctable vitamin deficiency (b-12) or overdose (b-6) or several other things. Many people report tingling sensations with the use of casts, etc, and I am not sure what the explanation is in those cases, or of course who knows whether what you are experiencing is the same or different from those cases. It is very important to attend to these things early. This can be a simple thing to remedy now but not a good thing to let go for long at all.

alan k

Lori E. on 7/28/00 at 17:16 (024187)

I have had tingling sensations too. I think they were from wearing my orthidics with fake birkenstock sandals. I saw my pod about it and she said that this sensation is usually due to something mechanical going on with your foot,e.g. you foot being in the wrong postion or pressure on your foot that it is not used to. My tingling went away, and only returns occasionally (after not wearing my birks for a day or so,) but it is only mild. When it first happened to me, it freaked me out, but it went away after a few weeks. I suggest you go see your doctor and let him/her know about it and assess the situation with you. Good luck.

Beverly on 7/29/00 at 10:59 (024228)

I wore a walking boot for a short while (less than a week). I stopped wearing it, because it was making my foot tingle, feel warm, and go semi-numb. However, I stayed in it until x-rays were done to confirm that I did not have a fracture or any other reason that would neccessitate the boot. For me, the boot was optional. It made me feel worse, and so I ditched it after getting a second opinion from a different pod who did not think I needed to wear it. I did find that if I loosened the straps it was not quite as bad. I too think you should see your doctor. One thing I'd want to find out is does the boot fit right? Did you get the right size? Is it laced up to the right degree of tension, ect... My symptoms were not as extreme as yours. It was more of a pins and needles tingling sensation.

I have also experienced this with some inserts and shoes.

Good luck and I hope you get to see your doctor soon,
Beverly

Suzi D on 7/29/00 at 11:20 (024232)

Add me to the tingling list. After I had worn the boot for a while, stopped and then wore it during stressful times. That's when the tingling started in my foot. I wondered if the straps were too tight, too. I finally stopped wearing it because it ended up causing more pain on the whole bottom of my foot instead of easing the pain like it had in the beginning. Not as bad as yours though. Thank goodness. hope you're feeling better soon. Try a cane.

Pauline on 7/30/00 at 08:37 (024281)

I relate my tingling with more inflammation in my feet. When it goes
up my feet tingle and the skin feels stretched tight. When the tingling goes away my inflammation is down slightly.

Richard, C.Ped on 8/01/00 at 16:20 (024347)

Hi Jan,
I know I told you that I would try to find an answer for you ASAP, then the web site goes down. I'm sorry! I agree with Alan on this one. Please see your physician about the tingling. I have had patients referred to me with the same symptoms, but they have been diagnosed already. In fact, I had one in just last Friday. Again, please see your physician ASAP.
Good luck, I hope it is not serious.
Richard, C.Ped