Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

UCBL orthodics

Posted by suzi on 7/28/00 at 17:09 (024186)

has anyone heard of or tired these UCBL orthodics, they are made from hard plastic. My PT is recommending I try these and they sound hellish! She believes they will help. Nothing else has!
thanks

Re: UCBL orthodics

Dr. Biehler on 7/28/00 at 17:38 (024189)

The secret behind the UCBL is controling the heel. If you can control the heel you can limit pronation. In order for these to really work you need and extremely good cast of your foot from which these are made. The problem comes in that the typical slipper cast spreads wide when the plaster is poured into it. What is needed is a tube cast of your foot and ankle.These will hold its shape when the plaster is poured and the positive cast is made. The result should be a tight but comfortable heel fit. These have helped a lot of people. Dr. Biehler

suzi on 7/28/00 at 19:07 (024201)

thanks for your reply. If I have heel pain and step into hard plastic orthodics, won't this make the pain feel worse? or is controlling the pronation going to take pressure off the heel?
thanks

Suzi on 7/28/00 at 19:50 (024203)

Controling the heel controls the pronation and this can reduce the tention the plantar fasica is subjected too. Also if the hard orthotic is casted to fit your foot, it has the effect of redistributing the bodies weight over a greater surface area.If there is a deep heel cup in the orhtotic is can hold whats left of your fat pad under the heel,as we get older this fat pad tends to get squished to the sides. When I had my heel pain I could walk pain free with a hard orthotic and was bearly able to step on the foot with out it. When you first think about it it doesn't seem like it would work. I became a believer when it worked for me, but then again it doesn't work for everybody. Dr. Biehler

Nancy S. on 7/28/00 at 21:54 (024207)

Hi Suzi, I'm not familiar with those particular orthotics. But I'm all too familiar with the custom hard plastic orthotics I bought for $300 last Sept.! Bad news. At first they seemed to help my (excruciating) PF left foot a tad, but then they stopped doing even that much AND I began to get heel pain in my right foot from them. What a relief when I finally went into Birks in December. I think there may be a few hard orthotics fans here, but there don't seem to be many. If I were ever to try any orthotics again (doubtful), it would be the semi-rigid kind.
--Nancy

Bea K on 7/29/00 at 01:08 (024217)

I wore hard plastic, custom orthotics for many years(like 10) & they helped me a lot, however I have had additional problems & they no longer help much but they dod not hinder. I wear them in the winter when I wear boots as I other wise have to wear backless shoes. If you have a good podiatrist who knows how to make them they can help a lot.

Charles T on 7/30/00 at 16:23 (024303)

What is a 'TUBE CAST' ?

Dr. Biehler on 7/28/00 at 17:38 (024189)

The secret behind the UCBL is controling the heel. If you can control the heel you can limit pronation. In order for these to really work you need and extremely good cast of your foot from which these are made. The problem comes in that the typical slipper cast spreads wide when the plaster is poured into it. What is needed is a tube cast of your foot and ankle.These will hold its shape when the plaster is poured and the positive cast is made. The result should be a tight but comfortable heel fit. These have helped a lot of people. Dr. Biehler

suzi on 7/28/00 at 19:07 (024201)

thanks for your reply. If I have heel pain and step into hard plastic orthodics, won't this make the pain feel worse? or is controlling the pronation going to take pressure off the heel?
thanks

Suzi on 7/28/00 at 19:50 (024203)

Controling the heel controls the pronation and this can reduce the tention the plantar fasica is subjected too. Also if the hard orthotic is casted to fit your foot, it has the effect of redistributing the bodies weight over a greater surface area.If there is a deep heel cup in the orhtotic is can hold whats left of your fat pad under the heel,as we get older this fat pad tends to get squished to the sides. When I had my heel pain I could walk pain free with a hard orthotic and was bearly able to step on the foot with out it. When you first think about it it doesn't seem like it would work. I became a believer when it worked for me, but then again it doesn't work for everybody. Dr. Biehler

Nancy S. on 7/28/00 at 21:54 (024207)

Hi Suzi, I'm not familiar with those particular orthotics. But I'm all too familiar with the custom hard plastic orthotics I bought for $300 last Sept.! Bad news. At first they seemed to help my (excruciating) PF left foot a tad, but then they stopped doing even that much AND I began to get heel pain in my right foot from them. What a relief when I finally went into Birks in December. I think there may be a few hard orthotics fans here, but there don't seem to be many. If I were ever to try any orthotics again (doubtful), it would be the semi-rigid kind.
--Nancy

Bea K on 7/29/00 at 01:08 (024217)

I wore hard plastic, custom orthotics for many years(like 10) & they helped me a lot, however I have had additional problems & they no longer help much but they dod not hinder. I wear them in the winter when I wear boots as I other wise have to wear backless shoes. If you have a good podiatrist who knows how to make them they can help a lot.

Charles T on 7/30/00 at 16:23 (024303)

What is a 'TUBE CAST' ?