Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I can offer feedback on these products, and I'll be "sidelined" for a lil while.

Posted by Kim B. on 7/29/00 at 00:30 (024214)

Hello PF Friends,

I ordered some of these products and can now provide feedback:

1. The Acropedico comfort shoes at http://www.feelgoodfast.com (under footwear)

I liked them very much except they are too rigid for me, Birk's wearers would probably like them. I sent them back, thank God for $ back guarantees.

2. The Step Calf Stretch at http://www.feelgoodfast.com (under rest & relaxation)

Is on back order, will let you guys know.

3. The Heel Hugger at http://www.brownmed.com

This little device is promising for milder cases and smaller flair ups. It actually helps, however, my PF is not as severe as it once was. It's not a miracle cure, but it does ease pain and contribute to heeling. I've found is that affords me a little more time on my feet when I simply can't get off of them immediately (i.e. finish cooking dinner or finish getting the dishes put away, take care of my lil' boy, that kind of thing.) They are slightly overpriced, (I had to buy 2 of them at 19.95 each.) but at this stage, if I can keep the inflammation and flair ups to a minimum, the heeling will continue, so in that respect, it's kind of worth it to have them in the freezer, ready to use. They feel good and the gel packs warm up after about 10 minutes, so you can't over-ice, even by accident.

4. The Removable Arch Pad at http://www.archpad.com

I didn't order these (yet), the guy (I think he's a Pod) doesn't offer a money back guarantee and Lord knows I spent enough $ already. They look pretty good. However, my theory is that if a product IS good enough, inventors can afford to back 'em up with a $ guarantee for the few people that it doesn't work out for. If anyone tries this exact product, please let me know what you think. (There are many similar products, but this particular maker boast a higher comfort material.)

I am doing better after 18 months with this illness, but I know I will probably always be prone to PF, AT, TTS, etc., (maybe because of my Fibromyalgia), so I plan to keep a proactive attitude even when it is feeling better.

I am still somewhat interested in Mike's PFT too. So keep the feedback on that coming.

The TX Traction shoes I got at FAMOUS FOOTWEAR a few days ago have been a God send. I got the athletic shoe and the Discovery slip-on shoe. I got men's but they make woman's shoes too. (I have big, wide feet.) They agree with my sensitive feet and are just wonderful! I know it may be too soon to tell, but, when I wear these shoes I have very little foot pain. Would someone else PLEASE go get a pair of these and tell me if it is just me, or, are they truly the best thing since sliced bread? They have a 90 money back guarantee!!

One last thing, my FM is flaring up in my neck pretty bad. I tried swimming at a health club the other day, and strained my upper body. (I only did 4 laps!) Anyway, saw the doc today, he is sending me for long overdo physical therapy for the PF, FM and 'cervical myalgia'. Using the computer aggravates the neck situation, so I will probably have to limit my visits here for a little while, but 'I'll be back.' If I'm out of pocket, you guys know what the situation is. I will still be able to answer questions, if I can be of any help to anyone. I'm not completely gone, I just need to lay off the keyboard and mouse a little till my neck gets better.

For the newbies: do a search on 'shower shoes' (here at the site) and get you some, they help. Do EVERY little thing you can to help your feet heel themselves. It all adds up. Keep the inflammation down at all costs. Vioxx is a good anti-inflammatory. Massage is good, ice (gelpacks) are great, and for me, stretching in moderation has been helpful. Learn Yoga (a home use video tape on the subject is a great idea, btw) Reflexology and chiropractic care are good too. Rest, Rest, Rest, be 'just plain lazy' sometimes, let your house go, imitate a couch potato.

Study this site, and learn from this message board. The folks here will help you through the rough days. I would be completely insane, if this group hadn't been there for me when I needed them (Thanks Scott!). If you make a steady, continuous effort, you will get past this hurdle, but it takes time.

Regards to all, Kim B.

Re: I can offer feedback on these products, and I'll be "sidelined" for a lil while.

Bob G. on 7/29/00 at 00:50 (024216)

Kim, thank you for your post(s). You are an inspiration! BG

Re: I can offer feedback on these products, and I'll be "sidelined" for a lil while.

Beverly on 7/29/00 at 11:12 (024230)

Dear Kim,

Thanks for that detailed review. When my foot feels up for a trip to the athletic shoe store (a huge place with no scooter), I will try that TX Traction shoe. My only reservation is that I like firm arch support.

I can totally relate to needing to lay off the keyboard and mouse for neck pain. I have to do that from time-to-time. As you may know, I have an old neck/shoulder injury that is basically chronic pain today. Physical therapy has done me a world of good. I get a perscription for it off and on as I get flareups. I found learning and staying faithful to the stretching I learned in PT has helped my neck as much as anything, along with regular massage.

I have enough of the tender points for FM; I sometimes worry if that is at the core of my upperbody muscular pain. I have not worked hard to find out. To some extent, I don't want to know. I have had two doctors on past occassions throw it out as a possiblity. But I have plenty of energy and I don't get foggy in the head more than just every once and awhile; so I tend to doubt that it is FM. But I may just be in the River of Denial.

Good luck with PT,
Beverly

Suzi D on 7/29/00 at 11:40 (024236)

Kim, Thanks for all the information. I have learned so much from this site, it's incredible. When I go into a doctor's office, I can converse intelligently with them. I have learned alternative therapy's and have learned that it takes time. Most importantly. Patience. And just knowing you aren't alone with this frustrating condition helps your mental attitude. Good luck with your therapy.

Bob G. on 7/29/00 at 00:50 (024216)

Kim, thank you for your post(s). You are an inspiration! BG

Beverly on 7/29/00 at 11:12 (024230)

Dear Kim,

Thanks for that detailed review. When my foot feels up for a trip to the athletic shoe store (a huge place with no scooter), I will try that TX Traction shoe. My only reservation is that I like firm arch support.

I can totally relate to needing to lay off the keyboard and mouse for neck pain. I have to do that from time-to-time. As you may know, I have an old neck/shoulder injury that is basically chronic pain today. Physical therapy has done me a world of good. I get a perscription for it off and on as I get flareups. I found learning and staying faithful to the stretching I learned in PT has helped my neck as much as anything, along with regular massage.

I have enough of the tender points for FM; I sometimes worry if that is at the core of my upperbody muscular pain. I have not worked hard to find out. To some extent, I don't want to know. I have had two doctors on past occassions throw it out as a possiblity. But I have plenty of energy and I don't get foggy in the head more than just every once and awhile; so I tend to doubt that it is FM. But I may just be in the River of Denial.

Good luck with PT,
Beverly

Suzi D on 7/29/00 at 11:40 (024236)

Kim, Thanks for all the information. I have learned so much from this site, it's incredible. When I go into a doctor's office, I can converse intelligently with them. I have learned alternative therapy's and have learned that it takes time. Most importantly. Patience. And just knowing you aren't alone with this frustrating condition helps your mental attitude. Good luck with your therapy.