Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ionpheresis made the bottom of my feet and top of toes turn red. Anyone else?

Posted by Beverly on 7/29/00 at 11:19 (024231)

I had three treatments for Ionpheresis that were side effect free, and then the fourth treatment made the bottoms of my feet turn red (like a sunburn) and the tops of my toes also looked red. I iced and the redness mostly went away. They also felt hot like a sunburn, and when I iced, I could literally feel the heat bouncing off the ice pack.

My PT was surprised that it took so long for me to have a reaction. We're giving me a break from it for a few days and will try it again.
But she says that if I have another reaction like that, it means I'll have to stop doing the ionphresis, because an allergic reaction is not good.

Did anyone else have that happen? I don't mean just the area that the pad attaches to for the treatment. I mean the whole bottom of my foot looked red and felt warm like a sunburn. But 30 minutes of icing made it look and feel almost normal again (or as normal as a foot with PF ever feels).

Beverly

Re: Ionpheresis made the bottom of my feet and top of toes turn red. Anyone else?

Nancy S. on 7/29/00 at 11:30 (024235)

Hi Beverly. My feet are red after PT, but it could be from the giant ice packs -- she puts them on while I'm still lying on my stomach, right after the iontophoresis, so I haven't actually seen my feet after that part of treatment. I'll be having it again on Monday and this time will look at my feet before the icing and tell you if there's any redness. --Nancy

Re: Ionpheresis made the bottom of my feet and top of toes turn red. Anyone else?

Pauline on 7/29/00 at 22:59 (024273)

I've had Ionto 3 times a week for almost 7 week now and have never had
the reaction you describe. They use a week dexamethsone solution and the power set at 2.7 -2.8 because I cannot stand it any higher.
Find out what the power is set at. Does the pad they use cover the
entire bottom of the foot or is it a small round pad little larger than 50 cent piece?

Beverly on 7/29/00 at 23:15 (024275)

Pauline,

It is a small pad. I have not looked at it very closely, but just covers one small area of my foot.

I know the solution is some kind of cortizone.

I don't know what speed it runs at. But I do know the time. I average about 15-17 minutes per session. I have not been able to stand it turned up higher than that.

If you've done this for seven weeks, do you think it has helped significantly? It is too soon for me to tell yet. Plus, I also get ultrasound and massage.

Beverly

Pauline on 7/30/00 at 08:32 (024280)

It does take down some inflammation, but very little in my case. As soon as I walk again the inflammation is back. Mind is very deep.
I get massage as well and water bath. The ultra sound seemed to make
mine worse so we went to the Ionto. I really don't know what to try
next. I just want the inflammation to go. I still keep doing the
exercises, stretching, night splints, icing and all the other
things on this board. Nothing, nothing and I mean nothing touches
my inflammation.

Re: Question for Pauline or others about inflammation & reducing it

Beverly on 7/30/00 at 14:42 (024292)

Pauline,

I have followed your posts and I both hear and feel for your frustration.

When I read you and others write about inflammation, I often wonder how you define inflammation for yourself. Do you mean your foot looks swollen or does it tie into your pain level and a squishy feeling?

In my case, I can't visibly see any inflammation. But I have noticed that I went from a narrow width to a B width.

But my PT can feel the inflammation when she gives me a massage. She decribes it as feeling squishy... like jello or cottage cheese. What is interesting to me is that the foot she says is the most squishy is the foot that hurts the most... my left foot. The one encouraging thing in all of this is that my right foot is the original injury, and although it has a long way to go, it is not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Doing physical therapy is a whole different approach than I was doing before. Since my rest, rest, rest method kept me mobile but did not fix me, I am now combining rest with PT and stretching and massage. I am going slowly.
The PT would love me to be able to stretch several times a day, but both she and I agree that 1x a day is all I can handle right now. However, I am increasing how long I hold each stretch, and I have increased the number of stretches.

I was icing 2x a day. Now I am icing 3 or 4x a day. The last pod messed up my stomach (tends to be tender) with Feldane (very powerful drug).
However, tummy is feeling better now. I'm going to give it another week or so and then either try Vioxx again or Bromelain.

I use a tennis ball at home for massage, and I recently found a hand held wooden massage tool that the PT liked and I'm using. My thumb gets stiff and sore if I use my hand.

I hope you find something that works for you.
Beverly

JudyS on 7/30/00 at 16:08 (024300)

Pauline - how long have you had PF? I've had it for 2 years and your words are pretty much exactly what mine were until about 3 months ago. I'd run the course from shots to casts but got no relief until I finally began to seriously concentrate on ibuprofen,massage,stretching, ice 3 or 4 times a day. I'd been pretty down for a couple of months but finally focused on that method and forcing myself to stick to it. I'd heard more than once that Bob and Robin found success, eventually, that way so I gave it a shot. Now, I've just finished playing a baseball game so my feet are screaming at me but I at least know that they rebound a lot faster than they did a year ago. And, because generally they're much better off than they were a year ago, I feel more like Cinderella than I do the Little mermaid!

Pauline on 7/30/00 at 21:04 (024319)

Judy,
I've had a terrible time with anti-inflammatories. I end up with
blood in my urine most of the time, however some of them have also
caused swelling in my throat. I don't try them too readily any more. This is the second time I am experiencing PF. The first
time it lasted 2 1/2 years. This one started in April. I am trying
a new cream now as well as the physical therapy stuff. Today I notice some of the tightness and tingling pain seems to be down.
I don't know if it is the cream or because I stopped the latest anti-inflammatory drug. Blood yesterday morning. Sometimes I think
they cause extra inflammation.

Like you I do not see swelling but feel the jello like substance running from the toes to my heel. It squirts back and forth when
massaged. I have large lumps of it directly under my arches. My
feet tingle and feel tight although they have not changed shoe size.

I read an article tonight about using Turmeric 400mg along with bromelain and flaxseed. I think I am going to try this.

Re: Pauline pauline pauline pauline

wendyn on 7/30/00 at 23:05 (024324)

Pauline.

If anti-inflammitories are causing blood in your urine and your throat to swell....

This is bad.

Please stop taking them.

Please DO NOT take them any more.

They are not life-sustaining drugs, and you are having a serious reaction to them (in my sometimes not so humble opinion). I think in this case whether or not the potential benefits outweigh the risks is very obvious. Sorry - I am very catious when it comes to meds and I take them only when absolutely necessary. My son had a potentially life threatening reaction to pencillin and it was a real wake up call.

Please discuss this at length with your pharmacist and your doctor.

Nancy S. on 7/29/00 at 11:30 (024235)

Hi Beverly. My feet are red after PT, but it could be from the giant ice packs -- she puts them on while I'm still lying on my stomach, right after the iontophoresis, so I haven't actually seen my feet after that part of treatment. I'll be having it again on Monday and this time will look at my feet before the icing and tell you if there's any redness. --Nancy

Pauline on 7/29/00 at 22:59 (024273)

I've had Ionto 3 times a week for almost 7 week now and have never had
the reaction you describe. They use a week dexamethsone solution and the power set at 2.7 -2.8 because I cannot stand it any higher.
Find out what the power is set at. Does the pad they use cover the
entire bottom of the foot or is it a small round pad little larger than 50 cent piece?

Beverly on 7/29/00 at 23:15 (024275)

Pauline,

It is a small pad. I have not looked at it very closely, but just covers one small area of my foot.

I know the solution is some kind of cortizone.

I don't know what speed it runs at. But I do know the time. I average about 15-17 minutes per session. I have not been able to stand it turned up higher than that.

If you've done this for seven weeks, do you think it has helped significantly? It is too soon for me to tell yet. Plus, I also get ultrasound and massage.

Beverly

Pauline on 7/30/00 at 08:32 (024280)

It does take down some inflammation, but very little in my case. As soon as I walk again the inflammation is back. Mind is very deep.
I get massage as well and water bath. The ultra sound seemed to make
mine worse so we went to the Ionto. I really don't know what to try
next. I just want the inflammation to go. I still keep doing the
exercises, stretching, night splints, icing and all the other
things on this board. Nothing, nothing and I mean nothing touches
my inflammation.

Re: Question for Pauline or others about inflammation & reducing it

Beverly on 7/30/00 at 14:42 (024292)

Pauline,

I have followed your posts and I both hear and feel for your frustration.

When I read you and others write about inflammation, I often wonder how you define inflammation for yourself. Do you mean your foot looks swollen or does it tie into your pain level and a squishy feeling?

In my case, I can't visibly see any inflammation. But I have noticed that I went from a narrow width to a B width.

But my PT can feel the inflammation when she gives me a massage. She decribes it as feeling squishy... like jello or cottage cheese. What is interesting to me is that the foot she says is the most squishy is the foot that hurts the most... my left foot. The one encouraging thing in all of this is that my right foot is the original injury, and although it has a long way to go, it is not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Doing physical therapy is a whole different approach than I was doing before. Since my rest, rest, rest method kept me mobile but did not fix me, I am now combining rest with PT and stretching and massage. I am going slowly.
The PT would love me to be able to stretch several times a day, but both she and I agree that 1x a day is all I can handle right now. However, I am increasing how long I hold each stretch, and I have increased the number of stretches.

I was icing 2x a day. Now I am icing 3 or 4x a day. The last pod messed up my stomach (tends to be tender) with Feldane (very powerful drug).
However, tummy is feeling better now. I'm going to give it another week or so and then either try Vioxx again or Bromelain.

I use a tennis ball at home for massage, and I recently found a hand held wooden massage tool that the PT liked and I'm using. My thumb gets stiff and sore if I use my hand.

I hope you find something that works for you.
Beverly

JudyS on 7/30/00 at 16:08 (024300)

Pauline - how long have you had PF? I've had it for 2 years and your words are pretty much exactly what mine were until about 3 months ago. I'd run the course from shots to casts but got no relief until I finally began to seriously concentrate on ibuprofen,massage,stretching, ice 3 or 4 times a day. I'd been pretty down for a couple of months but finally focused on that method and forcing myself to stick to it. I'd heard more than once that Bob and Robin found success, eventually, that way so I gave it a shot. Now, I've just finished playing a baseball game so my feet are screaming at me but I at least know that they rebound a lot faster than they did a year ago. And, because generally they're much better off than they were a year ago, I feel more like Cinderella than I do the Little mermaid!

Pauline on 7/30/00 at 21:04 (024319)

Judy,
I've had a terrible time with anti-inflammatories. I end up with
blood in my urine most of the time, however some of them have also
caused swelling in my throat. I don't try them too readily any more. This is the second time I am experiencing PF. The first
time it lasted 2 1/2 years. This one started in April. I am trying
a new cream now as well as the physical therapy stuff. Today I notice some of the tightness and tingling pain seems to be down.
I don't know if it is the cream or because I stopped the latest anti-inflammatory drug. Blood yesterday morning. Sometimes I think
they cause extra inflammation.

Like you I do not see swelling but feel the jello like substance running from the toes to my heel. It squirts back and forth when
massaged. I have large lumps of it directly under my arches. My
feet tingle and feel tight although they have not changed shoe size.

I read an article tonight about using Turmeric 400mg along with bromelain and flaxseed. I think I am going to try this.

Re: Pauline pauline pauline pauline

wendyn on 7/30/00 at 23:05 (024324)

Pauline.

If anti-inflammitories are causing blood in your urine and your throat to swell....

This is bad.

Please stop taking them.

Please DO NOT take them any more.

They are not life-sustaining drugs, and you are having a serious reaction to them (in my sometimes not so humble opinion). I think in this case whether or not the potential benefits outweigh the risks is very obvious. Sorry - I am very catious when it comes to meds and I take them only when absolutely necessary. My son had a potentially life threatening reaction to pencillin and it was a real wake up call.

Please discuss this at length with your pharmacist and your doctor.