Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone ever had a steroid injection in the bottom of your heel?

Posted by Cindy W on 7/29/00 at 17:56 (024249)

I am anxious to find out if anyone has had an injection in the bottom of their heel. I have had one in the side of my heels but not the bottom and I was wondering if it helped at all. It is the next step of many that my pod. is going to do. Besides PF I have bursitis along with nerve entrapment. I would appreciate any feedback that anyone can give me.
Thanks,
Cindy W

Re: Has anyone ever had a steroid injection in the bottom of your heel?

Nancy S. on 7/29/00 at 18:17 (024250)

Hi Cindy W. I had one cortisone injection in the bottom of my heel. It was a terrible experience (I mean, Really Terrible), and didn't help my PF at all, not even for a day. I've heard that the injections through the side of the foot are much less painful. Why does your dr. think that one in the bottom of the heel would be more effective?
--Nancy

Ellen2 on 7/29/00 at 19:18 (024256)

Yes, I had a steriod shot in the heel last summer. It was great and I went for several months completely pain free and thought I was 'cured'. Alas! Pain returned as bad as ever. I went back to the doctor and begged for another shot and he said, 'No way!' It seems steroids are cummulative in your system and they don't know enough about what can happen over the years. He told me to just keep doing my stretching exercises and taking anti-inflamatories. I was very discouraged. Note: there is no financial connection between me and whatever I mentioned, but I don't think I mentioned a product anyway.

Ellen2 on 7/29/00 at 19:26 (024257)

By the way, the doctor told me it would really hurt to have the shot in my heel (it was more towards the back of my heel than the bottom, where the achilles tendon would attach). However, it didn't hurt any more than one single step does every single morning when I get out of bed. Even if I took giant stets (which I can't) it takes at least 20 steps to get to the bathroom. He said that it would take two or 3 days to go to work. He was wrong! I walked right out of his office and it did't hurt any more than it did walking in (which it did). I woke up the next morning and just walked to the bathroom. HEAVEN!

Terry on 7/29/00 at 19:37 (024258)

Cindy - I also had a shot in my heels, where the arch meets the heel. It lasted for about 2 weeks and I thought I was cured. Terry

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/29/00 at 20:43 (024261)

You can use a 27 gauge needle with alot of cold spray. Bad but can work wonders. Some doctors believe that it will cure the foot and the side approach won't. No proof but I have cured patients for years with a bottom injection after no relief from the side.

Kathy on 7/29/00 at 21:13 (024262)

I to have had 6 injections in the rt side of heel and 5 in the left side of heel, My pod. says that he has done all he can do and if I'm not willing to let him do surgey he will dischage me as his patient next month. I think I should let him go first.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/29/00 at 22:13 (024269)

If you have heel spur sydrome limping after you sit for any length of time and don't won't to try ESWT then why not MIS heel spur procedure.
Before ESWT I loved the procedure two down sides .
1. Could take up to six months for the pain to leave the foot.
2. Very small cases will be worse off

3. I have done Fluroscopic Plantar releases for over twenty years. I have done close to one thousand procedures. The literature backs me up as to the sucess of this procedure.

Re: Thank you very much for all of the feedback.

Cindy W on 7/30/00 at 09:50 (024283)

I am still not sure what to do but it sounds as though there has been more success than not. I will finish up with my PT next week and then have to make another decision. Thanks again for all of your help.
Sincerely,
Cindy W-(aka hop along cindy) :o)

Cindy W on 7/30/00 at 11:21 (024285)

Dr. Z,

What exactly do you mean when you say 'bad but can work wonders'. Any elaboration on this topic would be truly appreciated.

Thank you kindly,
Cindy W

Karen S on 7/30/00 at 14:37 (024291)

I had my injection in the bottom of my heel and it was VERY painful. Not only that but it did NO good. I got no relief whatever from it.

mss on 7/30/00 at 15:38 (024297)

Is the injection into the bottom for a different purpose than an injection from the side? I had one from the side, it was not to painful, but it did not help at all either.

JudyS on 7/30/00 at 16:15 (024302)

Cindy - I have had several shots in the bottoms of both feet over the last 2 years. They hurt more than anything I've known including root canals and childbirth and they didn't do me any good. I only consented to the last set in May because my inflammation was down some so I thought it might knock out the rest but, as with the other shots, the shot itself left so much soreness that it was impossible to figure out if it helped the inflammation.
I realize that I've probably frightened you here so my profuse apologies.....I know you'll analyze all the input you get here.

suzi on 7/30/00 at 16:36 (024304)

out of desperation, I broke down thurs. and had a cortisone shot somewhere between the side and the middle of my heel. The shot itself wasn't too bad, but...............the aftershock hell is awful! I have a large bruise from the injection and it is causing horrid pain. I can barely walk. Has this bruising happened to anyone else from a shot? How long will it take to heal?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/30/00 at 20:41 (024317)

Get ice on this foot asap. Twenty minutes every other hour. Stay off the foot. When patients have pain like you I have found that the shot will work once the foot settles down. ICE ICE ICE

Suzi D on 8/01/00 at 14:25 (024334)

I've had about 4 injections of cortisone in the arch/heel area on my foot. The Pod used a freezing spray and it wasn't too bad considering the relief I got. After the second or third shot I starting to have a sensitivity to them. A flushed face. Then the next was a little worse, becaue the doctor didn't believe I had a reaction to the last one. The next was the last with elevated blood pressure, flushed (red) face, racing heart. So - even though they helped with the pain, I had to give them up. My second Pod gave me a shot of something different (can't remember!) and told me I was probably sensitive to the preservative(?) in with the cortisone. That one didn't bother me and seemed to help at the same time although I also started with the temp. cast then. Who knows???

pf'ly yours, suzi d

Nancy S. on 7/29/00 at 18:17 (024250)

Hi Cindy W. I had one cortisone injection in the bottom of my heel. It was a terrible experience (I mean, Really Terrible), and didn't help my PF at all, not even for a day. I've heard that the injections through the side of the foot are much less painful. Why does your dr. think that one in the bottom of the heel would be more effective?
--Nancy

Ellen2 on 7/29/00 at 19:18 (024256)

Yes, I had a steriod shot in the heel last summer. It was great and I went for several months completely pain free and thought I was 'cured'. Alas! Pain returned as bad as ever. I went back to the doctor and begged for another shot and he said, 'No way!' It seems steroids are cummulative in your system and they don't know enough about what can happen over the years. He told me to just keep doing my stretching exercises and taking anti-inflamatories. I was very discouraged. Note: there is no financial connection between me and whatever I mentioned, but I don't think I mentioned a product anyway.

Ellen2 on 7/29/00 at 19:26 (024257)

By the way, the doctor told me it would really hurt to have the shot in my heel (it was more towards the back of my heel than the bottom, where the achilles tendon would attach). However, it didn't hurt any more than one single step does every single morning when I get out of bed. Even if I took giant stets (which I can't) it takes at least 20 steps to get to the bathroom. He said that it would take two or 3 days to go to work. He was wrong! I walked right out of his office and it did't hurt any more than it did walking in (which it did). I woke up the next morning and just walked to the bathroom. HEAVEN!

Terry on 7/29/00 at 19:37 (024258)

Cindy - I also had a shot in my heels, where the arch meets the heel. It lasted for about 2 weeks and I thought I was cured. Terry

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/29/00 at 20:43 (024261)

You can use a 27 gauge needle with alot of cold spray. Bad but can work wonders. Some doctors believe that it will cure the foot and the side approach won't. No proof but I have cured patients for years with a bottom injection after no relief from the side.

Kathy on 7/29/00 at 21:13 (024262)

I to have had 6 injections in the rt side of heel and 5 in the left side of heel, My pod. says that he has done all he can do and if I'm not willing to let him do surgey he will dischage me as his patient next month. I think I should let him go first.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/29/00 at 22:13 (024269)

If you have heel spur sydrome limping after you sit for any length of time and don't won't to try ESWT then why not MIS heel spur procedure.
Before ESWT I loved the procedure two down sides .
1. Could take up to six months for the pain to leave the foot.
2. Very small cases will be worse off

3. I have done Fluroscopic Plantar releases for over twenty years. I have done close to one thousand procedures. The literature backs me up as to the sucess of this procedure.

Re: Thank you very much for all of the feedback.

Cindy W on 7/30/00 at 09:50 (024283)

I am still not sure what to do but it sounds as though there has been more success than not. I will finish up with my PT next week and then have to make another decision. Thanks again for all of your help.
Sincerely,
Cindy W-(aka hop along cindy) :o)

Cindy W on 7/30/00 at 11:21 (024285)

Dr. Z,

What exactly do you mean when you say 'bad but can work wonders'. Any elaboration on this topic would be truly appreciated.

Thank you kindly,
Cindy W

Karen S on 7/30/00 at 14:37 (024291)

I had my injection in the bottom of my heel and it was VERY painful. Not only that but it did NO good. I got no relief whatever from it.

mss on 7/30/00 at 15:38 (024297)

Is the injection into the bottom for a different purpose than an injection from the side? I had one from the side, it was not to painful, but it did not help at all either.

JudyS on 7/30/00 at 16:15 (024302)

Cindy - I have had several shots in the bottoms of both feet over the last 2 years. They hurt more than anything I've known including root canals and childbirth and they didn't do me any good. I only consented to the last set in May because my inflammation was down some so I thought it might knock out the rest but, as with the other shots, the shot itself left so much soreness that it was impossible to figure out if it helped the inflammation.
I realize that I've probably frightened you here so my profuse apologies.....I know you'll analyze all the input you get here.

suzi on 7/30/00 at 16:36 (024304)

out of desperation, I broke down thurs. and had a cortisone shot somewhere between the side and the middle of my heel. The shot itself wasn't too bad, but...............the aftershock hell is awful! I have a large bruise from the injection and it is causing horrid pain. I can barely walk. Has this bruising happened to anyone else from a shot? How long will it take to heal?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/30/00 at 20:41 (024317)

Get ice on this foot asap. Twenty minutes every other hour. Stay off the foot. When patients have pain like you I have found that the shot will work once the foot settles down. ICE ICE ICE

Suzi D on 8/01/00 at 14:25 (024334)

I've had about 4 injections of cortisone in the arch/heel area on my foot. The Pod used a freezing spray and it wasn't too bad considering the relief I got. After the second or third shot I starting to have a sensitivity to them. A flushed face. Then the next was a little worse, becaue the doctor didn't believe I had a reaction to the last one. The next was the last with elevated blood pressure, flushed (red) face, racing heart. So - even though they helped with the pain, I had to give them up. My second Pod gave me a shot of something different (can't remember!) and told me I was probably sensitive to the preservative(?) in with the cortisone. That one didn't bother me and seemed to help at the same time although I also started with the temp. cast then. Who knows???

pf'ly yours, suzi d