Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone called New York

Posted by Kathy on 8/01/00 at 14:11 (024333)

Just wondering if anyone has called Dr. Ehrlich's office in New York about his orthowave study? I talked to a Craig Spurtel (spelling ?) and he said he thought I would be a good candidate for the study but I live in Michigan, he is getting back with me later this week. I've also contacted Dr. Weil's office about having orbasone treatments in his Chicago office, does anyone know how much the orbasone treatments cost and if any insurance is covering it? I'm at the end of my rope with this PF, I'm tired of icing and stretching, night splints and all the other garbage that goes with PF, so have decided to try and recieve ESWT some place. Will be seeing the pedorthist on Aug 25 and hopefully ESWT sometime after that.

Re: Anyone called New York....Doctor just called and offered me spot in clinical trial

Kathy on 8/01/00 at 15:22 (024343)

A Dr. Naidoo just called and offered me a spot in the orthowave clinical trials in New York, it would involve 3 trips from Michigan to N.Y and it's a blind study so you don't know if you are getting treated or the placibo and they only treat one foot at a time, the trials started 3 weeks ago and after Aug. 15 he will be treating on weekends only. Weighing my options on doing the clinical study or going to Chicago for the orbisone, I guess it denpends on how much Chicago cost. Any thoughts from my pf friends

Re: Anyone called New York....Doctor just called and offered me spot in clinical trial

john a on 8/01/00 at 15:53 (024345)

Were there any prerequisites for being able to participate in the study? Were you interviewed? Filled out medical history -type forms? How many more will be accepted into the study? If you find out later that you received the 'sham' treatment, do they give you the option of getting the real treatment for free? (and how do they give the sham treatment, if the real treatment is supposed to be pretty painful!?)

john h on 8/01/00 at 16:28 (024348)

i would not like to make 3 trips to NY and be one who got the placebo. I talked to a Healthtronics rep in Chattanooga, TN and i think that Dr. Alverez (orthopedic surgeon who participated in the very early Ossatron studies) will be the 1st one doing the Ossatron procedure when final approval comes. Pricing has not been established and it is unlikely insurance will pay for the procedure. I am still scheduled for a Orbasone treatment with dr. zukerman in N.J. this month unless the FDA pulls the plug on me. There is a Healthtronics Rep/Tech/Nurse? that actually will do the ossatron procedure. she travels from Chattanooga to Birmingham to Atlanta with the machine. The Healthtronics lady in Chattanooga told me she had 10 people on her list as of monday.

Re: Anyone called New York

Barbara on 8/01/00 at 18:24 (024371)

I called and made an appointment for Thursday (I live in NY) to see if I'm a good candidate. I'm trying for the tennis elbow spot, not the PF spot. My PF is not as bad as my tennis elbow which I have had for almost 2 years now. The Ossatron trials for tennis elbow are still ongoing and they said it would probably be another year before the Ossatron is approved for tennis elbow. I'm willing to risk being in the placebo group as long as I get the real thing after the study.

Lynda on 8/01/00 at 19:28 (024385)

What is Ossatron?

Barbara on 8/01/00 at 19:41 (024387)

The Ossatron is a machine similar to the Orthowave that has passed for first hurdle in the FDA approval process for PF indication. There are trials going on now for tennis elbow indiction and approval is a year off (if it is approved). Check ESWT message board for info, also do a search of this entire site for info.

Re: Anyone called New York...to answer John's questions

Kathy on 8/01/00 at 22:35 (024401)

John, the doctor from NY interviewed me over the phone asking a lot of questions and told me I could be included in the study, I am going to call him and pass after thinking about it, if you are in placibo group they will offer you real orthowave later but for me that could mean up to 8 trips to NY from Mich and they only will do one foot in the study and I have PF in both, am waiting to here from Dr Weil in Chicago or thinking of Tennesse ( have good friend moving there next week) do you know how to get hold of healthtronics to get on the ossatron list? let me know. thanks

Barbara on 8/02/00 at 13:22 (024450)

Healthtronics phone number is (800) 464-3795 http://www.healthtronics.com

Hope this helps.

Re: To Kathy --Anyone called New York...to answer John's questions

Kathy on 8/02/00 at 14:22 (024453)

Kathy,
What is the phone number to the Dr. in New York? Thanks

Kathy on 8/01/00 at 15:22 (024343)

A Dr. Naidoo just called and offered me a spot in the orthowave clinical trials in New York, it would involve 3 trips from Michigan to N.Y and it's a blind study so you don't know if you are getting treated or the placibo and they only treat one foot at a time, the trials started 3 weeks ago and after Aug. 15 he will be treating on weekends only. Weighing my options on doing the clinical study or going to Chicago for the orbisone, I guess it denpends on how much Chicago cost. Any thoughts from my pf friends

john a on 8/01/00 at 15:53 (024345)

Were there any prerequisites for being able to participate in the study? Were you interviewed? Filled out medical history -type forms? How many more will be accepted into the study? If you find out later that you received the 'sham' treatment, do they give you the option of getting the real treatment for free? (and how do they give the sham treatment, if the real treatment is supposed to be pretty painful!?)

john h on 8/01/00 at 16:28 (024348)

i would not like to make 3 trips to NY and be one who got the placebo. I talked to a Healthtronics rep in Chattanooga, TN and i think that Dr. Alverez (orthopedic surgeon who participated in the very early Ossatron studies) will be the 1st one doing the Ossatron procedure when final approval comes. Pricing has not been established and it is unlikely insurance will pay for the procedure. I am still scheduled for a Orbasone treatment with dr. zukerman in N.J. this month unless the FDA pulls the plug on me. There is a Healthtronics Rep/Tech/Nurse? that actually will do the ossatron procedure. she travels from Chattanooga to Birmingham to Atlanta with the machine. The Healthtronics lady in Chattanooga told me she had 10 people on her list as of monday.

Barbara on 8/01/00 at 18:24 (024371)

I called and made an appointment for Thursday (I live in NY) to see if I'm a good candidate. I'm trying for the tennis elbow spot, not the PF spot. My PF is not as bad as my tennis elbow which I have had for almost 2 years now. The Ossatron trials for tennis elbow are still ongoing and they said it would probably be another year before the Ossatron is approved for tennis elbow. I'm willing to risk being in the placebo group as long as I get the real thing after the study.

Lynda on 8/01/00 at 19:28 (024385)

What is Ossatron?

Barbara on 8/01/00 at 19:41 (024387)

The Ossatron is a machine similar to the Orthowave that has passed for first hurdle in the FDA approval process for PF indication. There are trials going on now for tennis elbow indiction and approval is a year off (if it is approved). Check ESWT message board for info, also do a search of this entire site for info.

Kathy on 8/01/00 at 22:35 (024401)

John, the doctor from NY interviewed me over the phone asking a lot of questions and told me I could be included in the study, I am going to call him and pass after thinking about it, if you are in placibo group they will offer you real orthowave later but for me that could mean up to 8 trips to NY from Mich and they only will do one foot in the study and I have PF in both, am waiting to here from Dr Weil in Chicago or thinking of Tennesse ( have good friend moving there next week) do you know how to get hold of healthtronics to get on the ossatron list? let me know. thanks

Barbara on 8/02/00 at 13:22 (024450)

Healthtronics phone number is (800) 464-3795 http://www.healthtronics.com

Hope this helps.

Re: To Kathy --Anyone called New York...to answer John's questions

Kathy on 8/02/00 at 14:22 (024453)

Kathy,
What is the phone number to the Dr. in New York? Thanks