Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Wish me luck. PLEASE!!!

Posted by Pat M. on 8/01/00 at 16:57 (024356)

Well, last year I started school on crutches with a splint on my ankle because of a pretty bad ankle sprain. This year I will start in a wheel chair.
Tomorrow morning at 7:30 a.m. I will be 'going under the knife'. I CANNOT go through another year like the last one. I will pick up the wheel chair on the way home from the hospital. (Well, my husband will, not me.) 5 days at home and then -BOOM- back to school.
Right now I am extremely nervous. I hope that I am doing the right thing. I have talked to many people who have been worked on by this Doc and have heard nothing but rave reviews. So if everybody will just say a little prayer I will be very greatful.
I will let you know how it is all going after the dirty deed is done.
Keep up the good work.
Pat M.

Re: Wish me luck. PLEASE!!!

D on 8/01/00 at 17:47 (024366)

I can understand that you are nervous, but just remember the guy is good, but prayer can't hurt, so I will include in tonights prayers. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Nancy S. on 8/01/00 at 18:12 (024369)

All the luck in the world to you, Pat. If your doc has had nothing but rave reviews, it sounds as though you're in good hands. Take a hot bath and listen to soothing music tonight, and try to relax yourself. We'll be eager to hear how you are, so keep us posted. --Nancy

john h on 8/01/00 at 18:42 (024375)

the surgery is not bad at all pat. take your time on recovery and god bless.

Laurie R on 8/01/00 at 19:11 (024382)

Hi Pat,
I wish all the luck in the world on your surgery tomarrow .I will kell be thinking about you. What kind of surgery are you having???? Please keep us posted........My very best to you and God bless.......Laurie R

Laurie R on 8/01/00 at 19:13 (024383)

Sorry Pat I ment to say I will not I kell.......Good luck.....

Sharie on 8/01/00 at 19:52 (024388)

Okay Pat.... here is what I want you to do... right now... Sit down...close your eyes, take in a deeeeeeep breath through your nose.... now, release the air through pursed lips as if you were going to whistle... and release it slowly. I PROMISE you, you will feel relaxed. Pat, I felt exactly as you do right now, the night before going into surgery. If you enjoy nothing else, just enjoy the drugs. I don't advocate drugs in any way, I work with the police dept, remember? But these are there for you, and you will be in
la la land and you are allowed!!! Just let everyone help you and just lay back and watch... Please write as soon as you are able.. I and I know many others will be waiting to hear from you.

GROUP HUG!!

Sharie

Re: Thanks

Pat M. on 8/01/00 at 21:39 (024394)

ALL prayers are appreciated. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Pat

Re: Type of surgery

Pat M. on 8/01/00 at 21:42 (024395)

I will be having an Open Fasciotomy. This is the type that my doctor does. I just found out that my husband's secretary had this done..by the same doctor.. and is doing great. It's been a couple of months for her. That helps my nerves some. Thanks for your thoughts.
Pat

Re: Hot Bath

Pat M. on 8/01/00 at 21:43 (024396)

Nancy,
I am headed for the hot bath now. Thought I'd do it kind of late so it will relax me. Maybe I'll sleep some. If not...I'll sleep tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement.
Pat M.

Re: Needed to hear that.

Pat M. on 8/01/00 at 21:45 (024397)

I needed to hear that, John. Thanks and I plan on following the doctors orders to the letter. Thanks again.
Pat

Re: I'm breathing

Pat M. on 8/01/00 at 21:48 (024399)

I'm breathing, and breathing, and breathing and thinking about the lovely meds that will take all the pain away. I'm also headed for that hot bath that Nancy suggested. Thanks so much, Sharie. I have truly drawn strength from your fantastically funny accounts of your escapades. If only I can do as well. ( But I am not going to walk until I am supposed to. :-))
Talk to everyone soon.
Pat

SuzanneK on 8/01/00 at 22:40 (024402)

Hi Pat! I am a 3rd grade teacher who had the exact same procedure you are having on June 1. I am doing REALLY well! The best thing is not having that pain 24-7. It took me about 3 weeks to get to where I could walk reasonably well without the crutches (or just one crutch)I went to a 3 day Math conference last week and did really well. My foot ached at night because I overdid it a little, but some Aleeve took care of that. Now advice for you - I know how teachers are! Let someone else help you get your room set up. Stay off your feet and rest - they'll get better faster that way. I used a wheelchair for the last 6 weeks of school last year, just to get me thru the end of the year til the surgery. Let the kids help push you - they'll love it! Slow and steady is the key. Ask for help - let people do things for you (that was VERY hard for this independent gal!!) REST REST REST is the key to recovery! Keep your foot elevated as much as you can and follow the doc's orders. I know you'll do great. Surgery was the best thing I did for my foot. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. P.S. The drugs help, too! LOL

Beverly A on 8/01/00 at 22:59 (024406)

Pat, my prayers are w/ you. I know of the pain and the worry you are experiencing. Be brave in the knowledge that God is with you. By the way, maybe you could share the name & local of this Dr. if he is this good. I cant find one!

Re: Good news

Pat M. on 8/02/00 at 00:11 (024412)

Oh my gosh!!! That's the best news I've heard all night. My only worry is that big shove one of the little darlin's will give me. hehehe. Guess I better not make 'em mad at me. Thanks Suzanne. I needed to hear that. I glad you're better. I hope to be able to do the same. Talk later. Pat

Re: My Doc

Pat M. on 8/02/00 at 00:14 (024413)

Hi Beverly,
First of all, as I said ALL Prayers are appreciated. My nerves are better, but even with the rep of this doctor, I kind of worry about the outcome. His name is Doctor Domingue (Domain)located in Beaumont, Texas. A little far for you I'm afraid, but like I said I haven't spoken to a person yet that he hasn't helped. I hope I can add my recomendation to the list.
Thank you so much for the prayer. Feel better. Pat

Re: Good luck Pat. I'm in Texas too.

Beverly on 8/02/00 at 01:31 (024421)

Pat,

I'll be praying for you. I'm in Texas too. South Texas... So not that far away. (I'm a different Beverly from Beverly A. I'm the one in search of 'the Holy Grail of Shoewear...' the one who talks alot. By the way, welcome on Board, Beverly A.)

I can't imagine going back to work five days after surgery. Is there anyway you could get a little more time off?

Follow the doc. Be a good girl. Enjoy your drugs.

Good luck,
Beverly

Pat M. on 8/02/00 at 03:55 (024423)

Hi Beverly,
I have a hard time keeping up with where everyone is from. I do seem to remember that you are a fellow Texan now.
Yes, I could take a few more days. It is my decision to go back. The doctor said that I can do whatever feels comfortable. I have told my principal that I will TRY. I'm gonna use my wheelchair and see how it works. The first three days are work days and staff development, so I'm pretty sure I can do that. I can leave early if I need on those days. Starting with the kids is a different story. If it doesn't work....I'll just come home for a few days. That is one luxury of teaching...Good subustitute teachers.
Thanks for concern and believe me, I'm going to follow doc's orders. This is my foot I'm dealing with here. I've had a few other surgeries, including having a disc removed, but for somed reason this one has me on pins and needles more than any other.
Good luck with the shoe search. I'll let you guys know how it is going as soon as possible. Thanks again. Pat

Dr. Biehler on 8/02/00 at 10:25 (024436)

Just remember it is easier to keep pain away than to get rid of it. If you are given pain medication, be sure to take it. Don't wait for the pain to start. Dr. Biehler

Suzi D on 8/02/00 at 12:34 (024444)

Well Pat, by now I guess you must be done. I'm hoping everything has gone well for you and that you are taking those meds like the good doctor has advised. What a brave person you are. Looking forward to hearing the lovely details in the next week or so.

pf'ly yours,
suzi d

D on 8/01/00 at 17:47 (024366)

I can understand that you are nervous, but just remember the guy is good, but prayer can't hurt, so I will include in tonights prayers. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Nancy S. on 8/01/00 at 18:12 (024369)

All the luck in the world to you, Pat. If your doc has had nothing but rave reviews, it sounds as though you're in good hands. Take a hot bath and listen to soothing music tonight, and try to relax yourself. We'll be eager to hear how you are, so keep us posted. --Nancy

john h on 8/01/00 at 18:42 (024375)

the surgery is not bad at all pat. take your time on recovery and god bless.

Laurie R on 8/01/00 at 19:11 (024382)

Hi Pat,
I wish all the luck in the world on your surgery tomarrow .I will kell be thinking about you. What kind of surgery are you having???? Please keep us posted........My very best to you and God bless.......Laurie R

Laurie R on 8/01/00 at 19:13 (024383)

Sorry Pat I ment to say I will not I kell.......Good luck.....

Sharie on 8/01/00 at 19:52 (024388)

Okay Pat.... here is what I want you to do... right now... Sit down...close your eyes, take in a deeeeeeep breath through your nose.... now, release the air through pursed lips as if you were going to whistle... and release it slowly. I PROMISE you, you will feel relaxed. Pat, I felt exactly as you do right now, the night before going into surgery. If you enjoy nothing else, just enjoy the drugs. I don't advocate drugs in any way, I work with the police dept, remember? But these are there for you, and you will be in
la la land and you are allowed!!! Just let everyone help you and just lay back and watch... Please write as soon as you are able.. I and I know many others will be waiting to hear from you.

GROUP HUG!!

Sharie

Re: Thanks

Pat M. on 8/01/00 at 21:39 (024394)

ALL prayers are appreciated. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Pat

Pat M. on 8/01/00 at 21:42 (024395)

I will be having an Open Fasciotomy. This is the type that my doctor does. I just found out that my husband's secretary had this done..by the same doctor.. and is doing great. It's been a couple of months for her. That helps my nerves some. Thanks for your thoughts.
Pat

Re: Hot Bath

Pat M. on 8/01/00 at 21:43 (024396)

Nancy,
I am headed for the hot bath now. Thought I'd do it kind of late so it will relax me. Maybe I'll sleep some. If not...I'll sleep tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement.
Pat M.

Re: Needed to hear that.

Pat M. on 8/01/00 at 21:45 (024397)

I needed to hear that, John. Thanks and I plan on following the doctors orders to the letter. Thanks again.
Pat

Re: I'm breathing

Pat M. on 8/01/00 at 21:48 (024399)

I'm breathing, and breathing, and breathing and thinking about the lovely meds that will take all the pain away. I'm also headed for that hot bath that Nancy suggested. Thanks so much, Sharie. I have truly drawn strength from your fantastically funny accounts of your escapades. If only I can do as well. ( But I am not going to walk until I am supposed to. :-))
Talk to everyone soon.
Pat

SuzanneK on 8/01/00 at 22:40 (024402)

Hi Pat! I am a 3rd grade teacher who had the exact same procedure you are having on June 1. I am doing REALLY well! The best thing is not having that pain 24-7. It took me about 3 weeks to get to where I could walk reasonably well without the crutches (or just one crutch)I went to a 3 day Math conference last week and did really well. My foot ached at night because I overdid it a little, but some Aleeve took care of that. Now advice for you - I know how teachers are! Let someone else help you get your room set up. Stay off your feet and rest - they'll get better faster that way. I used a wheelchair for the last 6 weeks of school last year, just to get me thru the end of the year til the surgery. Let the kids help push you - they'll love it! Slow and steady is the key. Ask for help - let people do things for you (that was VERY hard for this independent gal!!) REST REST REST is the key to recovery! Keep your foot elevated as much as you can and follow the doc's orders. I know you'll do great. Surgery was the best thing I did for my foot. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. P.S. The drugs help, too! LOL

Beverly A on 8/01/00 at 22:59 (024406)

Pat, my prayers are w/ you. I know of the pain and the worry you are experiencing. Be brave in the knowledge that God is with you. By the way, maybe you could share the name & local of this Dr. if he is this good. I cant find one!

Re: Good news

Pat M. on 8/02/00 at 00:11 (024412)

Oh my gosh!!! That's the best news I've heard all night. My only worry is that big shove one of the little darlin's will give me. hehehe. Guess I better not make 'em mad at me. Thanks Suzanne. I needed to hear that. I glad you're better. I hope to be able to do the same. Talk later. Pat

Re: My Doc

Pat M. on 8/02/00 at 00:14 (024413)

Hi Beverly,
First of all, as I said ALL Prayers are appreciated. My nerves are better, but even with the rep of this doctor, I kind of worry about the outcome. His name is Doctor Domingue (Domain)located in Beaumont, Texas. A little far for you I'm afraid, but like I said I haven't spoken to a person yet that he hasn't helped. I hope I can add my recomendation to the list.
Thank you so much for the prayer. Feel better. Pat

Beverly on 8/02/00 at 01:31 (024421)

Pat,

I'll be praying for you. I'm in Texas too. South Texas... So not that far away. (I'm a different Beverly from Beverly A. I'm the one in search of 'the Holy Grail of Shoewear...' the one who talks alot. By the way, welcome on Board, Beverly A.)

I can't imagine going back to work five days after surgery. Is there anyway you could get a little more time off?

Follow the doc. Be a good girl. Enjoy your drugs.

Good luck,
Beverly

Pat M. on 8/02/00 at 03:55 (024423)

Hi Beverly,
I have a hard time keeping up with where everyone is from. I do seem to remember that you are a fellow Texan now.
Yes, I could take a few more days. It is my decision to go back. The doctor said that I can do whatever feels comfortable. I have told my principal that I will TRY. I'm gonna use my wheelchair and see how it works. The first three days are work days and staff development, so I'm pretty sure I can do that. I can leave early if I need on those days. Starting with the kids is a different story. If it doesn't work....I'll just come home for a few days. That is one luxury of teaching...Good subustitute teachers.
Thanks for concern and believe me, I'm going to follow doc's orders. This is my foot I'm dealing with here. I've had a few other surgeries, including having a disc removed, but for somed reason this one has me on pins and needles more than any other.
Good luck with the shoe search. I'll let you guys know how it is going as soon as possible. Thanks again. Pat

Dr. Biehler on 8/02/00 at 10:25 (024436)

Just remember it is easier to keep pain away than to get rid of it. If you are given pain medication, be sure to take it. Don't wait for the pain to start. Dr. Biehler

Suzi D on 8/02/00 at 12:34 (024444)

Well Pat, by now I guess you must be done. I'm hoping everything has gone well for you and that you are taking those meds like the good doctor has advised. What a brave person you are. Looking forward to hearing the lovely details in the next week or so.

pf'ly yours,
suzi d