Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pf and low back pain

Posted by suzi on 8/01/00 at 17:14 (024360)

Has anyone developed low back pain from walking cock-eyed from pf? If it's not one thing it's another, when will this hell ever end???? What are some good treatments for low back pain other than icing?

Re: pf and low back pain

Nancy S. on 8/01/00 at 18:08 (024368)

Yes, Suzi, I and I bet many others have had back pain from PF walking (and depression too, no doubt about it, tho that's more from PF NON-walking!). If it's just kind of a low-back achiness, there's a simple exercise that can help, and I actually try to remember to do it regularly to prevent that pain:
Lie on the floor with your legs straight out. One at a time, bend your knee and bring it up as close to your chest as you can without causing pain, using your arms to pull it. Hold for just a few seconds and then put your leg back down. Then do the other leg. Do this around 10 times each, once or twice a day. This has never hurt me, and I'm by no means a heavy-duty stretcher.
Of course, we could do a million exercises all day long and forget to live! Don't forget to live!
best from Nancy

john h on 8/01/00 at 18:39 (024374)

i had back pain and back surgery 20 years ago. still have it. probably the most effective thing for back pain is back exercises. you can also rent a TENS unit from a physical thearpist (requires a drs prescription). first thing is to see a doctor and rule in or out the many causes of back pain. certainly walking 'funny' can induce back pain.

wendyn on 8/01/00 at 19:55 (024389)

There are A LOT of us that have low back pain from walking funny. A physio therapist or chiropractor can help. Also pursue massage therapy and lots of yoga and/or stretching. It can make a BIG difference.

Re: pf and low back pain and sore hips

KarenS on 8/01/00 at 22:50 (024404)

Not only did I get lower back pain but also my hips started hurting. First it was the opposite hip of the sore foot then both hips started hurting. I guess the constant limping and the way I would stand while working did the damage. My hips even hurt while I'm lying in bed on my side. As someone else said, 'if it's not one thing, it's another'.

Beverly on 8/02/00 at 01:39 (024422)

I'm a veteran stretcher for the upperbody and to a lesser extent the lower body. I have found that stretching helps me more than anything.
And yes, I have noticed my back and butt bother me more than usual.
I suspect it is from sitting so much. I never dreamed my recliner and I would develop such a close and personal relationship.

There are many, many good stretches for the back, butt, neck.... A picture is worth a thousand words and instruction is even better. I learned my stretches through physical therapy (upperbody injury gained prior to PF). They are not hard to do. If you could get your doctor to send you for even one PT session for the PT to teach you a series of stretches and send you home with a home stretching program, that would be far better than trying to figure it out from our descriptions. But if you can't do that, your family doctor probably has cartoon picture diagrams of back stretches and could show them. I prefer the physical therapist, because they deal with it everyday, and are better at customizing something for the individual.

Good luck,
Beverly

john h on 8/02/00 at 10:56 (024437)

for one of the best books on back exercises there is go to http://www.texasback.com and you will find a book 'Back In Shape' authored by the founder of the Texas Back Institute one of the most well know back institutes in the nation. they are on the leading edge of new types of back treatments.

Nancy S. on 8/01/00 at 18:08 (024368)

Yes, Suzi, I and I bet many others have had back pain from PF walking (and depression too, no doubt about it, tho that's more from PF NON-walking!). If it's just kind of a low-back achiness, there's a simple exercise that can help, and I actually try to remember to do it regularly to prevent that pain:
Lie on the floor with your legs straight out. One at a time, bend your knee and bring it up as close to your chest as you can without causing pain, using your arms to pull it. Hold for just a few seconds and then put your leg back down. Then do the other leg. Do this around 10 times each, once or twice a day. This has never hurt me, and I'm by no means a heavy-duty stretcher.
Of course, we could do a million exercises all day long and forget to live! Don't forget to live!
best from Nancy

john h on 8/01/00 at 18:39 (024374)

i had back pain and back surgery 20 years ago. still have it. probably the most effective thing for back pain is back exercises. you can also rent a TENS unit from a physical thearpist (requires a drs prescription). first thing is to see a doctor and rule in or out the many causes of back pain. certainly walking 'funny' can induce back pain.

wendyn on 8/01/00 at 19:55 (024389)

There are A LOT of us that have low back pain from walking funny. A physio therapist or chiropractor can help. Also pursue massage therapy and lots of yoga and/or stretching. It can make a BIG difference.

KarenS on 8/01/00 at 22:50 (024404)

Not only did I get lower back pain but also my hips started hurting. First it was the opposite hip of the sore foot then both hips started hurting. I guess the constant limping and the way I would stand while working did the damage. My hips even hurt while I'm lying in bed on my side. As someone else said, 'if it's not one thing, it's another'.

Beverly on 8/02/00 at 01:39 (024422)

I'm a veteran stretcher for the upperbody and to a lesser extent the lower body. I have found that stretching helps me more than anything.
And yes, I have noticed my back and butt bother me more than usual.
I suspect it is from sitting so much. I never dreamed my recliner and I would develop such a close and personal relationship.

There are many, many good stretches for the back, butt, neck.... A picture is worth a thousand words and instruction is even better. I learned my stretches through physical therapy (upperbody injury gained prior to PF). They are not hard to do. If you could get your doctor to send you for even one PT session for the PT to teach you a series of stretches and send you home with a home stretching program, that would be far better than trying to figure it out from our descriptions. But if you can't do that, your family doctor probably has cartoon picture diagrams of back stretches and could show them. I prefer the physical therapist, because they deal with it everyday, and are better at customizing something for the individual.

Good luck,
Beverly

john h on 8/02/00 at 10:56 (024437)

for one of the best books on back exercises there is go to http://www.texasback.com and you will find a book 'Back In Shape' authored by the founder of the Texas Back Institute one of the most well know back institutes in the nation. they are on the leading edge of new types of back treatments.