Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

More research is needed

Posted by Barbara on 8/02/00 at 13:15 (024449)

I believe that a medical condition exists that the medical community has not yet discovered. Comparing my own experiences with multiple site tendonitis with many of the others who post here, there is something going on.

I currently have bilateral PF (both feet started to hurt at the exact same second) right lateral tennis elbow, left medial tennis elbow, and left AT. Years ago I had wrist and shoulder tendonitis. I recently had a bout of total-body tendonitis, EVERY JOINT IN MY BODY, after a reaction to a specific antibiotic (which lists side effects of tendonitis and tendon rupture in certain individuals) After a dose of Medrol dose pac, I recovered, except for my elbows and PF, which I had before the antibiotic. I have been tested for Lupus, Rheumatoid factor and had a SEDS test...all negative.

Other people on this board have multiple site tendonitis...feet, achilles, knees, elbows, etc. Yet, moden medicine is clueless. I think it's time that medicine started to look at the whole picture instead of individual body parts. I did some research on the internet and a Swedish site mentioned that they suspect there is a chronic tendon disease or condition but that more research is needed. I fear that I may be long dead and burried before anything is found. In the mean time I must deal with each individual body part.

Sorry about the ranting...I 'm just getting extremely frustrated with my pain.

Re: Was the antibiotic Floxin or in that family?

Beverly on 8/02/00 at 16:50 (024465)

Barbara,

Was the drug called Floxin or was it in the Floxin family of drugs?
I took Floxin 1.5 years ago for a kidney infection, and my neck and shoulder trouble started shortly after I finished the Floxin. It did not rupture, thank God... just a bad strain that went chronic. I was already prone to a stiff neck, and I don't know if there is a Floxin connection or not, but I sometimes wonder about it.

The PF came over a year after taking the Floxin. I know that Floxin can have a delayed effect, but I doubt my PF was a result of it.

Recently, there was an article in the newspaper connecting Floxin with ruptures. The paper said that achilles tendon ruptures was the most common Floxin related rupture and that it can happen months later.
There was a book written about Floxin called 'Bitter Pills.' One woman's horrible experience with the drug.

I have had muscular pain just about all over my body. I got tennis elbow in April after I banged my elbow in my desk. It is doing better.
I wish my PF would heal as well. Years ago, I got tendonitis in my wrist after lifting weights. So yes, I do think some of us are more prone to this sort of thing. On the surface, each thing that has happened to me seems like an isolated incident, but I do think there is a connection.

I know if I ever get another kidney or bladdar infection, I will ask my doctor for one of the older, tried and true antibiotics. My new internist says that Floxin is a very powerful drug and he does not prescribe it for routine kidney/bladdar infections. I'd have to be just about dying, before I'd take Floxin again.
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/02/00 at 18:13 (024469)

I am aware of Ciprofloxin and its related Achilles tendon rupture. I will have to look into the incidence of the reported ruptures, and why it happens. What is the specific reasons why this happens.I will have to look into if its the family or the specific drug. For foot infections I don't use cipro anymore I use levaquim which is part of this family.

Re: More research is needed

Gordon on 8/02/00 at 19:23 (024474)

Your problems sound similar to mine. Maybe you should get tested for an intestinal yeast infection. Antibiotics can screw up your natural balance of bacteria. I solved my problems by attacking it from this perspective. Cut out all sugars and simple carbs and go on the yeast killer diet. Take plenty vit c,e etc. and get as much soft exercise as you can.

suzi on 8/02/00 at 20:58 (024478)

Gordon, how do you get tested for an internal yeast infection? What's the correlation between yeast infections and chronic flair ups??? Have you maintained this diet?

Barbara on 8/02/00 at 21:12 (024479)

IThe antibiotic I was taking was Levaquin. Never, never again.

Beverly on 8/02/00 at 21:57 (024484)

I have mostly successfully battled systemic Candida (yeast) since 1992.
There are blood tests that can be run, but they don't always yield information.

Since I was plagued with constant yeast infections, mine did not take a rocket scientist to determine. I went on the Candida Diet. I followed a book by noted allergist Dr. Crook (probably spelling his name wrong). The book is called 'The Yeast Connection.' You can find it at most health food stores.

Many doctors are still specptical over whether systemic yeast exists, but seeing how the diet changed my life, made me a believer. I had to eliminate: sugar, yeast, vinegar and anything fermented including beer, wine, and liquer, white flour, moldy foods like mushrooms, dairy products except for butter, perservatives, and white rice. It is not an easy diet, but it is much easier today, because the health food industry has created very tasty yeast free breads. I also had to reduce my fruit intake. Today, after all these years, I still can't eat sugar or yeast, but I can eat just about as much fruit as I like and occassionally I have white rice. But most of those foods listed above I still completely avoid 100% of the time.

I am also very cautious about antibiotics and I only allow the house to be sprayed for bugs when absolutely neccessary, and then I try organic first.

Going on the yeast diet and program changed my life. Today, I only have a few yeast infections a year; sometimes not even that many.

Beverly

Rock on 8/03/00 at 08:48 (024492)

Barbara,

How I wish there was single simple solution to the multiple tendonitis that so many of us suffer with every day !

My tendonitis list is long:

PF, AT, IT Band Syndrome and Anterior Shin Splints, but I fear that such injuries were caused by a combination of:

1. Geneitics (tight connective tissue)
2. Use (both under and over)
3. Biomechanical defects (varus forefoot, arches that over-flatten)
4. Age (45)

Yes, I agree, moden medicine is clueless. It looks to me that moden medicine only focuses on issues that kill people. Because tendonitis does not kill people, we must heal ourselves.

Rock.

alan k on 8/03/00 at 09:18 (024494)

Wow I've had cipro, perhaps a year before getting pf, hand troubles, and tarsal tunnel syndrome. I have had slight soreness in the achilles too. I wonder if there is a connection.

just posting for our info.

alan k

Rock on 8/03/00 at 08:48 (024503)

Barbara,

How I wish there was single simple solution to the multiple tendonitis that so many of us suffer with every day !

PF, AT, IT Band Syndrome and Anterior Shin Splints, but I fear that such injuries were caused by a combination of:

4. Age (45)

Yes, I agree, moden medicine is clueless. It looks to me that moden medicine only focuses on issues that kill people. Because tendonitis does not kill people, we must heal ourselves.

Rock.

Re: More research is needed - Agreed!

Helene M on 8/03/00 at 13:03 (024505)

Wow, Barbara, I was going to post a very similar message out of sheer frustration but you beat me to it. My current problems: bilateral PF (swollen arches-I suspect it's more than PF), wrist tendonitis from lifting weights plus computer use, tendonitis in palms, finger joints swollen, newest addition is neck pain. Had same blood tests as you...negative! The current rainy spell we've been having where I live seems to be making all of this even worse. I'm too young (40's) to be suffering from so many inexplicable ailments. At this point I don't know what kind of dr. to see. I agree with you the medical community has not been of much help. They can't seem to put it all together & figure it out.

Barbara on 8/03/00 at 13:43 (024506)

Hi Helen...Yeah, it's very frustrating. I remember a book I read many years ago that said there will never be a cure for cancer or the common cold because there is too much money in it. With all the doctors, orthotics, misc. treatments and gadgets we buy and use to treat our PF and other tendonitis conditions, I sometimes feel that money speaks very loudly here too.

Helene M on 8/03/00 at 14:43 (024507)

Hi Barbara. I'm sure I've spent thousands on this PF! At least it's comforting to know there are others who suffer from these multiple symptoms. Good luck on your Orthowave treatment at Montefiore if you decide to go. I, too, live in N.Y. but not sure I'd qualify, according to my symptoms. Where in N.Y. are you? You are welcome to e-mail me if you'd prefer.

Beverly on 8/02/00 at 16:50 (024465)

Barbara,

Was the drug called Floxin or was it in the Floxin family of drugs?
I took Floxin 1.5 years ago for a kidney infection, and my neck and shoulder trouble started shortly after I finished the Floxin. It did not rupture, thank God... just a bad strain that went chronic. I was already prone to a stiff neck, and I don't know if there is a Floxin connection or not, but I sometimes wonder about it.

The PF came over a year after taking the Floxin. I know that Floxin can have a delayed effect, but I doubt my PF was a result of it.

Recently, there was an article in the newspaper connecting Floxin with ruptures. The paper said that achilles tendon ruptures was the most common Floxin related rupture and that it can happen months later.
There was a book written about Floxin called 'Bitter Pills.' One woman's horrible experience with the drug.

I have had muscular pain just about all over my body. I got tennis elbow in April after I banged my elbow in my desk. It is doing better.
I wish my PF would heal as well. Years ago, I got tendonitis in my wrist after lifting weights. So yes, I do think some of us are more prone to this sort of thing. On the surface, each thing that has happened to me seems like an isolated incident, but I do think there is a connection.

I know if I ever get another kidney or bladdar infection, I will ask my doctor for one of the older, tried and true antibiotics. My new internist says that Floxin is a very powerful drug and he does not prescribe it for routine kidney/bladdar infections. I'd have to be just about dying, before I'd take Floxin again.
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/02/00 at 18:13 (024469)

I am aware of Ciprofloxin and its related Achilles tendon rupture. I will have to look into the incidence of the reported ruptures, and why it happens. What is the specific reasons why this happens.I will have to look into if its the family or the specific drug. For foot infections I don't use cipro anymore I use levaquim which is part of this family.

Gordon on 8/02/00 at 19:23 (024474)

Your problems sound similar to mine. Maybe you should get tested for an intestinal yeast infection. Antibiotics can screw up your natural balance of bacteria. I solved my problems by attacking it from this perspective. Cut out all sugars and simple carbs and go on the yeast killer diet. Take plenty vit c,e etc. and get as much soft exercise as you can.

suzi on 8/02/00 at 20:58 (024478)

Gordon, how do you get tested for an internal yeast infection? What's the correlation between yeast infections and chronic flair ups??? Have you maintained this diet?

Barbara on 8/02/00 at 21:12 (024479)

IThe antibiotic I was taking was Levaquin. Never, never again.

Beverly on 8/02/00 at 21:57 (024484)

I have mostly successfully battled systemic Candida (yeast) since 1992.
There are blood tests that can be run, but they don't always yield information.

Since I was plagued with constant yeast infections, mine did not take a rocket scientist to determine. I went on the Candida Diet. I followed a book by noted allergist Dr. Crook (probably spelling his name wrong). The book is called 'The Yeast Connection.' You can find it at most health food stores.

Many doctors are still specptical over whether systemic yeast exists, but seeing how the diet changed my life, made me a believer. I had to eliminate: sugar, yeast, vinegar and anything fermented including beer, wine, and liquer, white flour, moldy foods like mushrooms, dairy products except for butter, perservatives, and white rice. It is not an easy diet, but it is much easier today, because the health food industry has created very tasty yeast free breads. I also had to reduce my fruit intake. Today, after all these years, I still can't eat sugar or yeast, but I can eat just about as much fruit as I like and occassionally I have white rice. But most of those foods listed above I still completely avoid 100% of the time.

I am also very cautious about antibiotics and I only allow the house to be sprayed for bugs when absolutely neccessary, and then I try organic first.

Going on the yeast diet and program changed my life. Today, I only have a few yeast infections a year; sometimes not even that many.

Beverly

Rock on 8/03/00 at 08:48 (024492)

Barbara,

4. Age (45)

Rock.

alan k on 8/03/00 at 09:18 (024494)

Wow I've had cipro, perhaps a year before getting pf, hand troubles, and tarsal tunnel syndrome. I have had slight soreness in the achilles too. I wonder if there is a connection.

just posting for our info.

alan k

Rock on 8/03/00 at 08:48 (024503)

Barbara,

4. Age (45)

Rock.

Helene M on 8/03/00 at 13:03 (024505)

Wow, Barbara, I was going to post a very similar message out of sheer frustration but you beat me to it. My current problems: bilateral PF (swollen arches-I suspect it's more than PF), wrist tendonitis from lifting weights plus computer use, tendonitis in palms, finger joints swollen, newest addition is neck pain. Had same blood tests as you...negative! The current rainy spell we've been having where I live seems to be making all of this even worse. I'm too young (40's) to be suffering from so many inexplicable ailments. At this point I don't know what kind of dr. to see. I agree with you the medical community has not been of much help. They can't seem to put it all together & figure it out.

Barbara on 8/03/00 at 13:43 (024506)

Hi Helen...Yeah, it's very frustrating. I remember a book I read many years ago that said there will never be a cure for cancer or the common cold because there is too much money in it. With all the doctors, orthotics, misc. treatments and gadgets we buy and use to treat our PF and other tendonitis conditions, I sometimes feel that money speaks very loudly here too.

Helene M on 8/03/00 at 14:43 (024507)

Hi Barbara. I'm sure I've spent thousands on this PF! At least it's comforting to know there are others who suffer from these multiple symptoms. Good luck on your Orthowave treatment at Montefiore if you decide to go. I, too, live in N.Y. but not sure I'd qualify, according to my symptoms. Where in N.Y. are you? You are welcome to e-mail me if you'd prefer.