Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What are some Foot Physical Threapies I can ask the Physical Threapist about?

Posted by Kim B. on 8/02/00 at 23:03 (024487)

Hello Feet Friends,

Ya know, if someone had told me years ago that someday I would belong to an exclusive foot misery club, I'd of said, come on, you're joshing me, but, hey, look at me now! Anyway, my feet are a bit faired up again. Which really depresses me. Their better, their not, back and forth. Makin' me crazy for sure.

Am I the only person at this site who didn't think she had been black listed when the site was inaccessable? I though I was neurotic, but you people are really paranoid. I guess I had the advantage of knowing that Scott's had so many other chances to black list me and hadn't, so I didn't really think he would without good cause. Ok, for just a moment, it did cross my mind that you guys had gotten together and 'voted me off' the site. Yikes! OK, enough about you guys, back to me.

I started Physical Threapy for my neck and feet on Tuesday. The first day was spent pretty much taking a history, and a learning about my chief complaints, etc.

This is pitiful, The Healthsouth PT facility I am using (mainly because they have childcare availability onsite,) is so understaffed and small that the PT actually told me that my feet may have to 'get in line' behind my neck, and we wouldn't always be able to take care of both things in the same day' I wanted to leave. Am I just hard to please or what?

I just hate being told that after all this suffering and all this time, I'd have to choose which area of the body to make feel better, my screwed up neck or, my feet. One or the other, but not both in the same day. Ain't that a bunch of sh**?

Before I left the other day, she did a quick ultrasound on my neck and it helped alot, for a couple of days anyway. You know it kills her that I already knew a lot about PF and she didn't get to 'educate me'. She acts burnt out and 'sick of sick people'. Just my luck. I asked her about reflexology, massage, etc, and she said I'd be hard pressed to find a Physcial therapist who does massage anymore. She said she runs between 3 patients at a time and can't do massage. She went on to say that if I am getting results from massage and reflexology, to keep getting it done. (but not there of course.) My hubsband and I are going broke for the massage bills around here, excuse me if I wanted my insurance co. to pitch in for awhile. Whatever.

So I'm a little bummed over her attitude. My choices are limited for now, 'cause childcare is an issue. I'll make the best of it though. Neck is hurting (too much typing, gotta run.)

Anyway, my question at the top still applies, what physical therapies for the feet should I ask the physical therapist about?

Regards, Kim B.

Re: What are some Foot Physical Threapies I can ask the Physical Threapist about?

Nancy S. on 8/03/00 at 05:37 (024489)

Kim, I highly recommend iontophoresis. It is definitely helping me (the dr. who said I have 'a very bad case' of tendonitis yesterday should have seen my feet BEFORE starting the iontophoresis!). And your gung-ho PT should love this one -- it'll take her about one and a half minutes to hook you up, and then she can sit and read comics for 20 minutes while you get the anti-inflammatory zapped into your feet. --Nancy

Re: What are some Foot Physical Threapies I can ask the Physical Threapist about?

Kim B. on 8/03/00 at 08:08 (024491)

Thanks Nancy, I don't know if they have a iontophoresis machine or not but it is worth a mention. Yea, Miss Gungho PT mentioned that she had PF once too. I guess she had the kind that went away after a few months. She doesn't seem very sympathetic towards mine.

I was telling her about my PF and paused to say, I don't know how much you know about PF, but... and she gave me 'this look' and said, 'I only spent 4 years studying it in school.' Yea right, like she spent her whole PT education on PF. Let me see, that would just about make her a Podiatrist, right? I know, I've got to get a better attitude about her bad attitude.

OK gang, what are some other PF threapies I can ask her about? I'm going in armed with a list. Thanks for the input Nancy.

Kim B.

john h on 8/03/00 at 09:26 (024495)

i would suspect that about all conventional physical thearapy facilites will put you on some stretching routines that you have seen over and over on this board.

Steve P on 8/03/00 at 09:42 (024499)

Kim -- You might ask about electric stimulation.

Nancy S. on 8/03/00 at 05:37 (024489)

Kim, I highly recommend iontophoresis. It is definitely helping me (the dr. who said I have 'a very bad case' of tendonitis yesterday should have seen my feet BEFORE starting the iontophoresis!). And your gung-ho PT should love this one -- it'll take her about one and a half minutes to hook you up, and then she can sit and read comics for 20 minutes while you get the anti-inflammatory zapped into your feet. --Nancy

Kim B. on 8/03/00 at 08:08 (024491)

Thanks Nancy, I don't know if they have a iontophoresis machine or not but it is worth a mention. Yea, Miss Gungho PT mentioned that she had PF once too. I guess she had the kind that went away after a few months. She doesn't seem very sympathetic towards mine.

I was telling her about my PF and paused to say, I don't know how much you know about PF, but... and she gave me 'this look' and said, 'I only spent 4 years studying it in school.' Yea right, like she spent her whole PT education on PF. Let me see, that would just about make her a Podiatrist, right? I know, I've got to get a better attitude about her bad attitude.

OK gang, what are some other PF threapies I can ask her about? I'm going in armed with a list. Thanks for the input Nancy.

Kim B.

john h on 8/03/00 at 09:26 (024495)

i would suspect that about all conventional physical thearapy facilites will put you on some stretching routines that you have seen over and over on this board.

Steve P on 8/03/00 at 09:42 (024499)

Kim -- You might ask about electric stimulation.