Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthowave FDA trials

Posted by Barbara on 8/03/00 at 12:52 (024560)

Well, I just returned from my appointment at Montefiore Medical Center where they are currently testing the Orthowave ESWT machine for PF and tennis elbow. I went there to see if I can join the study for tennis elbow, since by elbow is worse than my PF.

They accepted me! They wanted to give me the first treatment immediately (today) but I begged off until next Monday. I want to study all the paperwork and do some more research before going ahead with it. I'll probably say yes.

I mentioned that I have bilateral PF and they asked me if I wanted to join the PF study. I told them that my PF was mild, even though I've had it for 6 months, but he said that I could still be a candidate. I'm just afraid that the machine could make my PF worse. I can walk short distances now (can't stand in one place too long, though) without much discomfort. And the minor pain I do have is all over my heels and arches. Where would they aim the machine? I'll have to think about the PF study over the weekend and make a decision about that too.

Re: Orthowave FDA trials

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/03/00 at 19:02 (024561)

Please remember my opinion on the indications and limitation for ESWT.
I have one patient that feels she is worse. I will let this board know the outcome. At this point I feel that she needs additional treatment on the central and lateral bands of the pf. I want to keep this board posted on the outcome of this case. I treated her medial band and that seems to be better. The bone scan is positive the mri is negative for any stress fracture, tendon tear, ligments tear etc for the entire foot and ankle. She is post treatment about four weeks.
On the other foot she had alot of surgery for a very bad results after total knee. She had to have skin grafts and almost lost her legs. When i met her she her examination at that time was only the medial band of the pf. I will keep the board posted on my treatment and outcome.

Re: Orthowave FDA trials

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/03/00 at 19:02 (024561)

Please remember my opinion on the indications and limitation for ESWT.
I have one patient that feels she is worse. I will let this board know the outcome. At this point I feel that she needs additional treatment on the central and lateral bands of the pf. I want to keep this board posted on the outcome of this case. I treated her medial band and that seems to be better. The bone scan is positive the mri is negative for any stress fracture, tendon tear, ligments tear etc for the entire foot and ankle. She is post treatment about four weeks.
On the other foot she had alot of surgery for a very bad results after total knee. She had to have skin grafts and almost lost her legs. When i met her she her examination at that time was only the medial band of the pf. I will keep the board posted on my treatment and outcome.