Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I need help recovering from Heel Spur Removal

Posted by Jean W. on 8/03/00 at 15:31 (024564)

After three months of foot pain I went to the doctor. My first appointment with the doctor was May 14, he took X-Rays and found heel spurs in both feet. Gave me the first of three injections, the last injection was given May 31. On June 6th I called the doctor with numbness in my toes and he diagnosed a Mortons Neuroma. Had surgery for heel spurs and neuroma on June 18. It is now August 3 and the pain in my feet is worse then before. I can only walk for about 15 minutes before the pain become so intense that I have to sit down. If I try to walk longer my feet and ankles swell. Doctor keeps telling me it takes time for the feet to heel, but it seems like it is only getting worse, not better. Can anyone tell me how long this pain is going to last, as I am getting very depressed.

Re: I need help recovering from Heel Spur Removal

KarenS on 8/03/00 at 15:53 (024565)

Jean: I too had a heel spur removed on June 29th. I also had a muscle release done, however my foot is still in a cast. It comes off on Aug. 10th. I am experiencing pain in the heel like a knife stabbed in it. When I asked my Dr. about it he said it is from scar tissue where the spur was removed. It is also painful in the arch area, which didn't hurt before my surgery. I am kind of nervous about how my foot will be when the cast comes off.

Because of all the stress I'm putting on my good foot, it too is getting very painful. It is just one BIG viscious circle. I'm due to go back to work Oct.1st but I'm having doubts now.

JudyS on 8/03/00 at 15:58 (024566)

Hi Jean - first of all, sit down, take a deep breath and blow out all of your frustration. Pretty much everyone on this Board knows EXACTLY what you're feeling so you've come to the right place!
It's very surprising that your Doc did the surgery after only 3 months of discomfort but I guess he had his reasons. Most PF sufferers undergo traditional treatments for at least a year before considering surgery. On the other hand, our Pat had surgery yesterday without waiting a year or two because she really has to be able to go back to the classroom in a few weeks. I'm also surprised that you were given 3 shots in such a short amount of time - were they all cortisone? Keep reading here, you'll get lots of very good information - especially in Scott's PF book. Meanwhile, don't worry too much about the pain right now - you're not that long post-surgery. Remember, your doc did some cutting on bone and tissue so that'll take awhile. Hopefully posts from both Pat and Shari will follow mine because they both just had the PF release surgery.
Seems like the ladies on this Board have developed a sort of anxiety/frustration/depression therapy that goes something like this; get yourself your favorite snack, a really trashy, riviting novel, a fragrant candle, and sit for awhile in a fragrant bubble bath (don't let the kids knock at the door!). Then hit the sack. I promise that all will look lots better in the morning.

Kim B. on 8/03/00 at 16:41 (024567)

I can imagine how fustrated you must be at this point. But it's not over, you still have a lot of healing to do. You are just going to cool your jets and wait it out. I had a hysterectomy one year ago, and some of the tissue in my stomach is still a little sensitive and numb in places. The point is this... it takes a LONG time for tissue to heal. Someone posted the other day that the feet heal the slowest. We can all believe that.

Jean, baby yourself, get through this the way any civilized PF sufferer would... yes, break out the chocolate. Order all your favorite foods. Get a CD player and order some of your very favorite music. Think of all the sitting still type of things you've always wanted to do but never had the time or good excuse to get away with it. Music? Corriespondance? Needlepoint? Reading, Planning? TV? Sleep? The list could go on, you fill in the blanks. I think you need more time. Hang in there and good luck. Keep us posted.

Regards, Kim B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/03/00 at 18:46 (024568)

It could take six months or more to heal. You had alot of foot surgery done.!!!! Both feet and neuroma. ICE, REST ICE Rest. Please look at my post for the cyro-cuff. This is a great icing machine for the foot and ankle. I would get into a physical therapy program if possible by a professional not at home at this point. So long as the physical therapy doesn't cause alot pain go for it. Vioxx is great drug for post-op swelling and pain. I have been thru this with many of patients so if your need to lean your foot on me I will listen
The board is a great family to help you get better. Bob G: advice for resting gets my award for the best, simple effective way to heal

KarenS on 8/03/00 at 15:53 (024565)

Jean: I too had a heel spur removed on June 29th. I also had a muscle release done, however my foot is still in a cast. It comes off on Aug. 10th. I am experiencing pain in the heel like a knife stabbed in it. When I asked my Dr. about it he said it is from scar tissue where the spur was removed. It is also painful in the arch area, which didn't hurt before my surgery. I am kind of nervous about how my foot will be when the cast comes off.

Because of all the stress I'm putting on my good foot, it too is getting very painful. It is just one BIG viscious circle. I'm due to go back to work Oct.1st but I'm having doubts now.

JudyS on 8/03/00 at 15:58 (024566)

Hi Jean - first of all, sit down, take a deep breath and blow out all of your frustration. Pretty much everyone on this Board knows EXACTLY what you're feeling so you've come to the right place!
It's very surprising that your Doc did the surgery after only 3 months of discomfort but I guess he had his reasons. Most PF sufferers undergo traditional treatments for at least a year before considering surgery. On the other hand, our Pat had surgery yesterday without waiting a year or two because she really has to be able to go back to the classroom in a few weeks. I'm also surprised that you were given 3 shots in such a short amount of time - were they all cortisone? Keep reading here, you'll get lots of very good information - especially in Scott's PF book. Meanwhile, don't worry too much about the pain right now - you're not that long post-surgery. Remember, your doc did some cutting on bone and tissue so that'll take awhile. Hopefully posts from both Pat and Shari will follow mine because they both just had the PF release surgery.
Seems like the ladies on this Board have developed a sort of anxiety/frustration/depression therapy that goes something like this; get yourself your favorite snack, a really trashy, riviting novel, a fragrant candle, and sit for awhile in a fragrant bubble bath (don't let the kids knock at the door!). Then hit the sack. I promise that all will look lots better in the morning.

Kim B. on 8/03/00 at 16:41 (024567)

I can imagine how fustrated you must be at this point. But it's not over, you still have a lot of healing to do. You are just going to cool your jets and wait it out. I had a hysterectomy one year ago, and some of the tissue in my stomach is still a little sensitive and numb in places. The point is this... it takes a LONG time for tissue to heal. Someone posted the other day that the feet heal the slowest. We can all believe that.

Jean, baby yourself, get through this the way any civilized PF sufferer would... yes, break out the chocolate. Order all your favorite foods. Get a CD player and order some of your very favorite music. Think of all the sitting still type of things you've always wanted to do but never had the time or good excuse to get away with it. Music? Corriespondance? Needlepoint? Reading, Planning? TV? Sleep? The list could go on, you fill in the blanks. I think you need more time. Hang in there and good luck. Keep us posted.

Regards, Kim B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/03/00 at 18:46 (024568)

It could take six months or more to heal. You had alot of foot surgery done.!!!! Both feet and neuroma. ICE, REST ICE Rest. Please look at my post for the cyro-cuff. This is a great icing machine for the foot and ankle. I would get into a physical therapy program if possible by a professional not at home at this point. So long as the physical therapy doesn't cause alot pain go for it. Vioxx is great drug for post-op swelling and pain. I have been thru this with many of patients so if your need to lean your foot on me I will listen
The board is a great family to help you get better. Bob G: advice for resting gets my award for the best, simple effective way to heal