Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for Dr. Zuckerman and/or Richard C. Ped

Posted by Kim B. on 8/03/00 at 21:00 (024609)

In a nutshell, my heel spurs were 'small' a year ago when they first had their picture taken, which was six months post my symptoms beginning to show up. These days my plantar faciitis is still tender, especially if I have been on my feet too much. However, the heelspurs themself are no longer easily palpable, whereas, a year ago, they definately were.

I've had PF for a total of about 18 months. It seems to be slowly getting better, though it still hangs on and is very miserable at times. Do you think the fact that the 'spot' is a LOT less tender is an indication that the Plantar faciitis will (eventually) heal too? Is this the trend you see in poeople who do eventally rid themself of the dialy PF monster?

From what I gather, I am not a good candidate for ESWT since my heelspurs are basically non-palpable. Is that correct? Of course, I am leary of doing anything that could reverse what small strides I've had. Your comments, thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Question for Dr. Zuckerman and/or Richard C. Ped

john h on 8/04/00 at 10:12 (024610)

kim i do not have or never had heel spurs but am scheduled for EWST this month. the way dr zuckerman explained it to me you should have pain that you can reproduce by pressing on a spot in the area where the fascia connects to the heel. somedays i can easily find this spot and somedays i cannot. usually a massage thearpist can find it as she can press better than me. a poditrist recently stretched out my fascia by bending my toes upward and easily found it. said he could feel the inflamation. he gave me a shot into the area and my pain was gone for about 2-3 weeks. The EWST machines focus on a spot that is not to large and varies depending on the machine (jeff told me he thinks the focus point is the size of a quarter but i suspect the operator can change the focal size). Finding the correct spot to focus on is obviously very very important. Every day i check and recheck my area of pain as i want to be sure when i have the ESWT i can accurately tell the doctor where to treat. 80% of my pain is focused where the band of fascia from the great toe attaches to the heel (both feet). this seems to be the classic area of pf pain. i should have my EWST on both feet before the end of the month and will keep a detailed log from start to finish.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/00 at 14:29 (024611)

I will refer to Dr. John H. YOu really know alot about ESWT and pf and web site search. Thanks for the excellent reply. I am looking for an associate would you like to apply. I know that your background may make you over qualified !!!!!

john h on 8/04/00 at 10:12 (024610)

kim i do not have or never had heel spurs but am scheduled for EWST this month. the way dr zuckerman explained it to me you should have pain that you can reproduce by pressing on a spot in the area where the fascia connects to the heel. somedays i can easily find this spot and somedays i cannot. usually a massage thearpist can find it as she can press better than me. a poditrist recently stretched out my fascia by bending my toes upward and easily found it. said he could feel the inflamation. he gave me a shot into the area and my pain was gone for about 2-3 weeks. The EWST machines focus on a spot that is not to large and varies depending on the machine (jeff told me he thinks the focus point is the size of a quarter but i suspect the operator can change the focal size). Finding the correct spot to focus on is obviously very very important. Every day i check and recheck my area of pain as i want to be sure when i have the ESWT i can accurately tell the doctor where to treat. 80% of my pain is focused where the band of fascia from the great toe attaches to the heel (both feet). this seems to be the classic area of pf pain. i should have my EWST on both feet before the end of the month and will keep a detailed log from start to finish.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/00 at 14:29 (024611)

I will refer to Dr. John H. YOu really know alot about ESWT and pf and web site search. Thanks for the excellent reply. I am looking for an associate would you like to apply. I know that your background may make you over qualified !!!!!